Season 2017 - Hawthorn

Haven’t checked but have a feeling Clarko (And his team) recruited Roughead, Franklin and Lewis (were all in same draft)

1 Like

Not sure that was Clarkson…Schwab?

Don’t forget the following year they had early picks again and took Ellis, Dowler and Muston and in 2006 they took Thorp. That’s four key forwards in 3 seasons.

1 Like

Wiki says he coached from 2005 onwards, so I’m guessing he was hired at the end of then 2004 season so that may have been his first draft (roughy, Lewis and franklin). But you’re you’re, they did get alot wrong after that. Wonder when Pelchan was hired, reckon that was after that draft.

Yeah it was, he was there from 2005. Never missed an opportunity to take credit for their list though, which I always thought was a bit rich when Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughead, Lewis and many of their lesser lights were already there.

1 Like

Agree, their drafting has been pretty average at times, Cyril, Birchill and Stratton are wins, but considering the number of picks since 06 I doubt that’s even league average.

Their real advantage has been through trading and coaching.

I doubt Clarkson had any involvement in the 05 draft, new coaches don’t come in and change a strategy thats been worked on for 12 months.

I can’t see them coming out of this hole for a 5 plus years. Gibson, Hodge, Burgoyne will be gone in 1-2 years, Roughead not long after and there are no new players with talent until end of 2017 unless they trade well or strike it lucky at the draft table.

Would still take Gunston in a heartbeat, A pure tallish forward who knows how and where to lead - not exactly our strong suit…

3 Likes

Lol hawks.

Not a happy team at hawthorn

Senior premiership players unhappy at moving on of their mates.

Also at them taking paycuts to keep successful team together with view to be paid more later when club could, then JOM / Mitchell / Vickery brought in on big $$

Hopefully other teams now attack them like vultures and pry out anyone of value

And Clarkson jumps ship.

Complete bottom out and no first or second round pick. It’s just fantastic.

1 Like

Can you imagine finishing near the bottom of the ladder and then realising the team you follow has no picks until the 3rd round (by your own fault, not league suspension)?

Clicked on footyinfo app, the leading 2 stories are…

1.Bombers now a destination club

2.Hawks have no hope left- Matthews

Life is good.

11 Likes

Agree, I would take him. Just wonder if he and a few others may devalue this year, maybe been seen as only good players in a good team

I hate that term; “destination club”.

2 Likes

Watch the afl start handing out priority picks like candy again

1 Like

Nah, they have te GCS and GWS to spoil, Hawks are the forgotten child.

■■■■ Them.

Their downfall is going to be the greatest thing to happen in ages.

I’ll say it again ■■■■ Them…and their insufferable fans

3 Likes

Hawks and Roos fallen off the cliff. Hopefully we can get to the top whole they are down there and bask in it even more

Weird to say but I dont think the Roos have fallen as far as I thought they would. They have looked ok (for a side at 0-4). They have played some solid football and I think will finish above the Hawks this year.

5 Likes

They are like St Kilda, they look good but struggle to get the job done.

1 Like

Plenty had them tipped for bottom couple. Still might finish there but - so far, plenty of season to go) -they’ve covered Petrie and Harvey better than many expected.