Season 2017 - Sydney

Maybe it was because the 90’s was my peak footy watching Era but i would have Carey and Lockett ahead of Buddy.
I Just loved Carey at CHF and Pagans Paddock. I Probably missed early Lockett, don’t remember him that much at the Saints.

Well, I am kidding a little, because I felt like goading a bit.
The issue would be, though, that a team’s game plan would need to be devised around him for him to have the kind of influence he used to - and what we see today indicates that it probably wouldn’t happen that way. The big (and he was back then) tough stay-at-home forward kicking 100 on hapless solo kpd’s doesn’t fly anymore. The closest to that model we have left is probably Kennedy? Hawkins? Hawkins has become almost obsolete.

Except he was more mobile than you would think. There are only two mobile great forwards at present; Joey and Buddy.

I dunno, he’s in better condition now than he was in his playing days

1 Like

Good point.

I agree. He is a complete footballer.

I’m not old enough to remember all of Ablett Snr, but he’s had as many great games as I saw, I think the same as Carey as well. Never saw Matthews play.
Franklin is great in Finals.(well maybe yes your right not in their most recent loss.).

Maybe goes missing occaisonally

I really think highly of Dangerfield in the current crop of AFL footballers. Cant rate that bloke highly enough.

I’m a Tom Lynch fan.

Also would be Jeremy Cameron in that company when he is on. That I think 3rd quarter by Cameron in the qualifying final last year was an absolute masterclass.

not sure if WCE Kennedy falls into the same category of what you mean.

Which Morton was it that lucked into a prelim and then a grand final and then kicked 3 in the 7 minutes he was anywhere near the ball?

I imagine that’s what they have in mind: they can make anyone look good.

Plugger would be conditioned appropriately for the modern era if he was playing today. He was also unexpectedly lightning quick off the mark too.

He would still kick bags of goals today.

3 Likes

Mitch.

One of the triggers behind Wallet getting the lemonade from Richmond with some horrendous kicking blunders. So Richmond do think kindly of him too.

A Johnson delisted but Sydney will re-draft him as a rookie if his latest medical report is positive. I want him to succeed but I suspect 5x recons + 5x years of rehab has left him too far back to come good.

1 Like

Not someone the AFL would want to revisit in 15 years time. Needs to be delisted for his own good.

They were pretty optimistic about him earlier in the year, but like you say, it’s a helluva mountain to climb to get back from where he’s been. Such a shame for the guy, because he’ll probably never know what could have been.

I reckon if you’d ask most AFL players they’d like their last game to be in a winning GF. Usually that would be at the back end of a fulfilling career, not the beginning.

Bitter sweet news

Some days it will more bitter than sweet. I can’t imagine what it would be like for his wife carrying two babies for 9 months knowing one will die. That would be unbelievably tough.

4 Likes

That’s farking horrible.
Poor guys :frowning:

My first child was a twin.
One of them didn’t make it.

2 Likes

:frowning:
Sorry, I’m ■■■■ at this. Just pretend I said something appropriate.