Season 2017 - Sydney

If he becomes a midfielder maybe.

Agreed.

Reminds me of being similar to what LeBron has been to basketball.

Just does things that 99.99% of the league canā€™t do. Even though he is incredibly gifted physically, he is also incredibly skillfull.

You put him in any football era and he produces the same, if not, even more IMO.

Heā€™s the best player Iā€™ve ever seen.

The only player in the league that I will regularly watch live. The first time I saw him up close was at a Hawthorn V Eagles game in 2008. After 5 minutes, I messaged my Hawthorn loving mate and told him if he didnā€™t have GF ticket yet heā€™d better hurry up. We spent 10k to see him in last years GF. Even though he got hurt in the first 5 minutes and was seriously restricted, something happened every time he got near it. Big blokes arenā€™t meant to do what he can do.

2 Likes

Shaun Edwards ā€œretiredā€
I remember a few people nervy that he would somehow evolve into a superstar when he left us :joy:

He had the ingredients to be ā€˜somethingā€™ but it never came together as hoped. All the best with future endeavours.

M Talia, aka junior Jennyā€™s delisting is a real surprise. With Reg being +30, Melican in his 1st year and Alir yet to establish himself youā€™d think Sydney would be reluctant to let a 23-24yo key defender type go for nothing. Heā€™d be worth a mid-late second round pick at least. Never played again after being caught with the yayo. Canā€™t see him not getting picked up as a delisted free agaent.

You have not seen enough players then.

Very difficult to quantify, but in my view Tony Lockett was a better player than Buddy for Sydney and James Hird, Wayne Carey and Chris Judd, all had the ability to change a game and win it off their own boot.

Buddy is a champ, no doubt, if only he could mark above his head.

Trade radio are claiming that Sydney are very much into trying to bring in Watts.

Swans and Port Adelaide into Watts.

Swans need to move on Tippett to free up cap space though.

Iā€™ve seen them all since 1983 and FRANKLIN! is in my opinion the best.

1 Like

Wonder what role they have in mind for him?

roving forward apparently

Interesting. Are they thinking of playing Reid more consistently in defence?

Quite possibly. Watts would be good at Sydney imo.

Itā€™s hard to know. Watts has moments where you think heā€™s starting to consolidate on his promise but then he falls back into uncommitted mode which sees him leave his team mates vulnerable through noticeably weak defensive efforts. Melbourne are regularly left a man down or are caught out of position because Watts is back there when he should be down here. Heā€™s a good mark and is good below his knees and is a brilliantly accurate set shot on goal but is a significant defensive liability.

No doubt about it and why the Dees are happy to maybe get rid of him. But thatā€™s why I think Sydney would be good for him, they always have this ability to work with players to help them get the effort in there most of the game, they always know how to work around a players limitations.

They have a decent record at it no doubt but some donā€™t work out. See Michael Talia as a recent example.

Maybe I just like Full Forwards as Peter Hudson gets my vote for the best player I ever watched.

However to compare Buddy and Plugger is very interesting.

Buddy is 6ā€™6" and 105 Kg; Plugger 6ā€™3" and 118 kg ; Buddy is quicker, but Plugger was very fast for his size.

Buddy has played 271 games and kicked 860 goals to date. Plugger played 281, and kicked 1360 goals.

Both won 4 Colemans, Plugger a Brownlow, and Buddy has two flags. Both multiple All-Australian and B&F winners at their Clubs.

I reckon both Peter Hudson and Tony Lockett would kick bags of goals today, even with the ā€œmodernā€ style of play. Though in Pluggers case, he may be in trouble as he caused a lot of wreckage to opponents crashing through packs, and todayā€™s maggots may crucify him.

No doubt Franklin is a Champion and wish Sheedy had his way and got him to the Bombers.

Plugger would struggle to get a game these days, I reckon.

You are kidding. He had everything that is needed today, and would still kick 100 goals after only playing 14 games due to suspension.