Season 2019 - Brisbane

The key with Brisbane is to keep the emerging talent they have. Too often they wanna bugger off home and they have to start again.

Young upcoming side. 10 wins. But the flag is ours cos I am sick of waiting.:grinning:

1 Like

They got Lachie Neale who is a gun and a few other decent players.

I think they are fine with player retention now Fagan and Hodge has made that club a place where players want to stay

would be surprised if they lose more players while theyre winning games. it sounds like Fagans turned the culture around at the club.

Given they just lost their best player in the year they really needed to step up, I wouldn’t be making too many rash statements about turning the corner on player retention.

1 Like

Lachie Neale is the most interesting trade from the off-season - A dual best and fairest player who is highly respected at Fremantle - Money was not the issue - It must be some type of issue which we’ll find out sometime in the future.

2 Likes

Beams is just doing a Buckley
I can’t see anyone else leaving, mainly cause I don’t know their names.

2 Likes

Sounds like he just had zero confidence in the footy department. Within the industry there doesn’t seem to be much positive talk about them. Tim Kellys manager flat out refused to talk to them in regards to a trade

I would probably pencil the round 4 clash with Brisbane at the G as a win for us. We should be way too fast for Brisbane on the expanses of the G.

18th

(Seriously though, they’ll make the 8. No doubt in my mind.)

1 Like

Why would anyone be even vaguely sure about a side that played 1 month of footy, then had their best player leave??

1 Like

Really don’t know what to expect here, development is never linear and whilst everybody is expecting growth on that trajectory I just can’t be assured it will happen.

Injuries will certainly come into play if they occur as the depth is still thin albeit talented.

If I had to guess I would say similar win loss record, maybe a couple more wins, but more consistent against the teams they should and shouldn’t win or loose to.

2020 would be where I start to see them climb.

Apart from being a big enough wanker to give himself a nickname, Rhys Matheison is also a Sandy Hook truther.

1 Like

Wouldn’t have thought he was smart enough to know what a Sandy Hook was.

But then, ducking into a head-high tackle every time you get the ball, is going to scramble whatever brain cells you’re blessed with.

1 Like

Watching this clip from the Brisbane - Port game, where Hipwood kicked 6, its easy to see that he is extremely mobile and is given way too much space by the Port Defenders. In spite of his height Ambrose stayed with him and was able to disrupt him pretty well and gave him a torrid time generally, so much so that Hipwood got a bit nasty with slam tackles and studs up type antics.

These ultra mobile tall forwards are ideal matchups for Ambrose. Most teams seem to have one. I guess that’s why Ambrose plays when he is available, however, in a couple of years when Hipwood develops more upper body strength, he will be more difficult to stop.

https://www.lions.com.au/video/2019-04-07/game-breaker-eric-hipwood

High centre of gravity forward against a nugget of a bloke in Ambrose… there was always only one way he was going to defend against him

It will be interesting to see how they back up this week. Their defence was incredibly disorganised against us. I was surprised to be honest, especially when Hodge is supposed tobe the “General down back” basically he failed to marshall his troups effectively

Wouldn’t at all surprise me to see them in the GF. They are a seriously talented side

No.will fail to last the distance this year.

1 Like

Talented yes.

But also about the softest draw you could hope to get (the only top 8 side they meet twice is Port - and this is their only away game against a top 4 side), and almost zero injuries.

1 Like