Season 2019 - Port Adelaide

I think the AFL were looking for any excuse to punt Fitzroy out of the comp, so an expansion club probably worked well to then force the Lions to merge with someone and get back to a 16-team league…

2 Likes

For sure. WCE joining stabilized the VFL significantly. The WAFL was only doing so-so, so entering the Eagles was a no brainer and brought instant rewards.
I remember the West Perth discussions, but they really didn’t go very far at the time. It didn’t help that West Perth (as a long suffering Cardies fan) wasn’t travelling that well at the time either.

2 Likes

Have a good read of Ross Oakley’s book, the VFL was in a far more perilous position than most realised and it was only the license fees for West Coast and the Crows that kept them from going under. If West Coast and Adelaide had held out for another year or two the VFL would have folded. Not sure on the WAFL but the SANFL was quite well off. Port signing a backdoor deal with the VFL forced the SANFL’s hand and absolutely they had no choice.
It’s one sliding doors moment I often wonder about, perhaps a true national comp without the deadwood such as the Saints, Norf and Dogs

1 Like

SUBSCRIBE

4 Likes

The VFL was rooted in 1986 but it had stabilised by 1990/91 when the Crows entered.

Pretty sure there were still 4 clubs with million dollar plus debts when the Crows entered. I remember Eddie stating that the Crows saved Collingwood and Geelong from going under

Yeah the competition would be vastly improved without the the 10 VIC teams

Should have 3 x WA, 2 x SA, 2 x NSW, 2 x QLD, 1 x TAS, 6 x VIC, Geelong

Keep ESS, Coll, Carl, Haw, Rich, Gee, maybe Mel

NM the Melbourne base of the Northern Kangaroos based out of Gold Coast ideally incorporating Southport. Throw vic a couple of home games

St K becomes the Southern Saints training centre in Moorabbin but playing a majority of home games (8+) games in Hobart as Tasmania’s team.

Bulldogs the Melbourne fanbase of GWS which becomes the team of the West

That’s a big reason to hate Adelaide right there

2 Likes

I actually don’t like that.

It furthers the AFL franchise model of a competition.

The smaller Melbourne clubs and their history is something most other national comps don’t have(soccer, basketball, rugby union).

I hate to talk sacrilege here, particularly as attending the 1990 Grand Final was the worst day of my football supporting life, but I think the hype associated with Collingwood winning that year helped rekindle interest in the AFL. Crowds were dwindling and at the time I thought soccer could take over in a decade or two given its high participation rate at junior level. I think it was the combination of that and the national competition that saved it

2 Likes

Did Port coming into the AFL in the nineties have anything to do with David Kosch???

@Aceman’d know the history moreso than me, but I’d doubt it. Koch was little more than a bloke doing 2-minute financial reports during the nightly news at that point in time, if that.

Correct, Koch only joined a few years ago

■■■■ is a Johnny come lately? I’m shocked

1 Like

We had the Power to win
Power to rule
Come on, Port Adelaide depression
We are the Power from Port
We spent more than we thought
We’re under AFL administration

20 Likes

Nah lifetime Port member and supporter. He grew up a few streets over from Alberton. He stepped up from the club was at its lowest point and he has turned them around a fair bit. Still a massive Fark wit though

2 Likes

It’d be simpler to merge Norf/Footscray and Melbourne/Saints

The mistake they’ve made with GCS and GWS is by not incorporating existing NEAFL sides into their foundations they’ve made them nothing more than a franchise as opposed to genuine football clubs.

Suns should have had been a composite of the 3 existing GC NEAFL sides; Southport, Labrador and Broadbeach (the later 2 are no longer in the NEAFL). At the very least the GoldCoast reserves should have been played out of one of the teams and not their own team.

GWS simply should have been based out of Canberra with its tendrils into regional NSW and outer Sydney.

2 Likes

Is it more accurate to say he did turn them around but now they’ve fallen in a heap again?

So has this come out in the papers yet? Couldn’t find anything online.