Season 2019: The Empire Strikes Back?

just dont bet on the blues mate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They won by 14 points. That is not beating someone up.

We can certainly take them.

Are we going to win the spoon next year? Please say yes

Having shown my credentials, I will now give my early thoughts on 2019:

I think the top 5 teams are pretty clear:
Us
West Coast
Pies
Richmond
Melbourne

They could finish in any order depending on lots of things. We need to be aiming for top 4.

GWS could join that group if they have a good run with injuries and they are coached better. They still have the talent.

It’s a lottery after that. Plenty of teams that could head in either direction.
Wouldn’t surprise me if the Lions made a jump.

I don’t think FCFC will get the spoon next year. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if they even jump out of the bottom 4.

I’d love to see at least one of Sydney, Hawthorn or Geelong fall over completely and make the bottom 4. I think at best for those teams, they’ll be hanging around the bottom half of the 8.

2 Likes

Almost certain

1 Like

Wow you weren’t kidding, you really are bad at predictions

1 Like

My Bottom 4
Dogs
Saints
Carlton
Suns

It sounds like your going to be a special comments man on any football network.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

And they had more than a helping hand from the umps

If we have a good run with injuries (I’m looking at you Joe and Raz) then I think we can definitely be contenders. It would also not surprise if we fumble our usual games that should be wins and end up at the bottom of the 8. Anything beyond that is not worth thinking about atm.

So in conclusion…ahhh screw it. Premiers here we come!

2 Likes

Season 2018 has really put a check to my expectations of the clubs performance and I put myself in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” category. We have failed to achieve on so many levels it’s not funny. I am keeping my expectation for the club in season 2019 to winning a final. That’s it.
There is no denying that the pressure will be on the club to perform. Our form post round 9 and the inclusion of Shiel justify that expectation.

We have to walk the talk!

3 Likes

Keeping Joey & Orazio on the park are critical to our success. We’ve shown we can match it with the big boys. Now with the addition of Sheil to our improving midfield. It’s clobbering time !

1 Like

I’m all lid on in the off season. I think I created a rather gloomy but in the end accurate lid on thread for 2018 I think after last year’s trade/draft.

Come round 1, I’ll drink the kool aid and think we can go all the way.

We would want someone of say Mcgrath’s ilk to take the next step into a very good midfielder to add depth to Zmerrett, Shiel and Hepp.

I’m going all in and saying we will win the flag next year. Would have to be the most exciting list in the league with the players we have and the style of footy we play. Hopefully we can have a good run with injury and anything is possible. I’m going to put a sneaky $500 for the flag next year. I hope I’m right.

3 Likes

15 Likes

My three predictions:

We will fly up.
We will win the premiership flag.
We will gain glory and fame.

11 Likes

I can see us in the running for top 4. To be in the flag race our midfield will have to improve more than I expect to compete against the midfields of Collingwood and Melbourne.

A lot will also depend on getting Joe and Raz fit and firing for most of the year and having Francis assert himself as a competition leading intercept defender.

If those things happen we’re certainly in the mix.

Melbourne, Collingwood, West coast and Richmond are i think the teams to beat next year all things being equal.

One of my big concerns for us is tbell. He has never exactly been a model of fitness and consistency and I fear that he will not be able to replicate this season just gone. I think our midfield leaned very heavily on him this year and it was evident that if he was down or faded in games we got quickly overwhelmed. This points to us still having a few structural issues around the ball.

We’re close but would need a lot to go right and some significant improvement from some to win it.

3 Likes

At least we can point to the players who should have natural improvement in them just through age and development.

We can point to a midfield that will improve because they’re now playing alongside Shiel.

Plus I think a lot went right for Bulldogs and Richmond to get their flags. So just because a lot has to go right doesn’t put us out of contention.

Plus if we do make top 4 you are sure as eggs going to start to hope we can win it.

The biggest upside I see next year is our draw, we had a harder draws than most that finished inside the 8 this year.

Finishing outside the 8 this year should really give us a real crack at finishing in the top 4 next year.

Up to fark the afl ofcouse but I’m also of the opinion that it’s time for the afl to finally let the Bombers to be a power house again.

Fark sos and Carlton

1 Like

ANZAC day should be less of an impact as well, which I think will help.

1 Like