Season 2020 - Gold Coast

No it didn’t. Did the author of the article even read the article? The AFL pumped $27.5m into the club coffers…

The recent Tasmanian AFL feasability report suggested “The (Taskforce) model supposes a ‘negotiation’ that sees Tasmania enter the AFL with an equitable ‘club average’ distribution of $17.1M per annum. The State would need to accept funding the estimated shortfall of $7.3M per annum” (The report assumes the Tasmanian government would be able to make this shortfall by removing the $8M in funding it gives to Hawthorn and North every year)

Source: http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/documents/AFL_Taskforce_Report_Tasmania.pdf

Fold and die please. At least if a Tasmanian team was struggling, you would see a large portion of the state rally behind them. The same will never be said of the Suns.

2 Likes

For context, this is about $4 taken for every person through an AFL gate for the year. Or $219 for every person Gold Coast got to their own home games.

1 Like

Could have built another stadium - almost.

Can’t wait for this doco!!

16 Likes

Suns also got a windfall in facilities from Commonwealth Games sport grants upgrades, from memory co-funded by the Feds.

Huge news
Daniel Gorringe is going to be on Big Brother.

2 Likes

Lol. He already shared the good stuff on Twitter. Now he’s just the tall stupid waste of talent

I saw an article for that.

“Ex AFL Star to be in big brother”

Very generous with that description.

1 Like

He’s probably about as much chance of playing in a flag in the big brother house than he was in his AFL “career” to date.

I’m all for pulling the funding for North and hawthorn.
Hopefully North fold then.

And if team in TAS then EFC would come down at least once a year. would be a better away game than 2 WA trips we get stuck with every year.

2 Likes

Gorringe may not have been a star on field but his Twitter feed and his comments about his failed AFL career is very good. In particular his thread discussing his recruitment and highlighting what an absolute flawed process recruiting is, made me laugh.

Plus he also gave the world an answer to the question what word rhymes with orange.

4 Likes

Gorringe was the bloke who taught me to trust my own judgement when it came to evaluating u18 players. His talent was talked up to the skies, and then I saw him in a few games in the champs and I thought guys like Phillips and Lycett looked better to me and there wasn’t that much to get excited about. But I shrugged my shoulders and assumed the serious professionals and media experts were smarter than me and saw something I didn’t.

A few years later, lesson learned.

6 Likes

Could hardly use the standard terms of AFL Great or AFL Legend for anyone who has played around 100 games
Disgraced Former Essendon Coach had a lot of currency for a while for Hird.

1 Like

I would 100% watch a well made documentary about the first decade of the suns and how spectacularly badly they ■■■■■■ it all up.

4 Likes

Only issue is they would fark the doco up as well

4 Likes

Gorringe was well regarded in his draft year and seen as a consensus top 20 pick - Gorringe downplays his ability probably because he didn’t live up to expectations and it allows him to build his social media profile and therefore dollars.

His argument is that if he hadn’t played a few good games at the under 18 championships he would not have been drafted so high. It supports the view of @Humble_Minion who agrees that the hype regarding Gorringe didn’t match the performance and therefore was taken way too early.

Therefore it figures that the group think tank recruiters may have over inflated Gorringe’s ability and the hype snowballed which lead to him going well before he deserved. If common that talls who show something are often over hyped into ‘what they could be’ rather than ‘what they actually are’.

Some of my mad Collingwood relatives claim that Malthouse drafted the first Cloke to ensure the Mum would give the nod to the next one down being drafted - not that they know any of these characters ( although I have seen the Mum in action where she would allow her boys to go)

Every Gold Coast player was regarded in their draft year, and it all went to ■■■■.

Imagine what some of those players could of achieved at more sustainable AwFuL clubs

Garry Ablett Jnr great player and now all his latest highlights no one watched

1 Like