Season 2020 - Gold Coast

I hope they are kept alive forever as a permanent reminder of Demetrious incompetence.

2 Likes

That shadenfreude keeps me coming back to this thread.

Fold and die

1 Like

The will win the spoon. They will lose money. They will lose players at seasons end and go absolutely nowhere. They are the most abysmal organisation in the comp.

4 Likes

I dunno, looks about double their regular home game attendence.

The AFL pumped a record $27.5 million into the embattled Gold Coast Suns last season — the biggest distribution ever handed out to a club.

Michael Warner , , Herald Sun

March 2, 2020 1:43pm

Documents filed with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission reveal Gold Coast’s membership and ticketing revenues slumped by more than $2.1 million in 2019 to just $5.1 million.

Merchandise sales totalled a paltry $243,983 as the Queensland disaster club finished the year with 18-straight losses.

Sponsorship and “supply rights income” at the Suns climbed slightly from $6.5 million to $7.7 million, but funding from head office accounted for 63 per cent of the club’s total revenues.

Bizarrely, the club reported a profit of $248,795 for the year.

The AFL has ploughed in excess of $250 million into the league’s 17th franchise since establishing it in April 2009.

But AFL boss Gillon McLachlan – a key figure behind the club’s creation – declared on Friday that he believed the sun would never set on the AFL’s Gold Coast experiment.

“Well, they’re forever in my mind,” McLachlan told Nine newspapers.

“At some point, there’ll be someone else here and they may have a different view, but these clubs were established with generational decisions and there is not one person in this building who has any intention of, or has a different view to that.

“These are generational decisions. Therefore, for as far as forever it can be, without, you know, nothing in this world is guaranteed, but as close to that as I can have.”

The AFL pumped $27.5 million into wooden spooner Gold Coast last year.

Gold Coast has never played finals and was handed a monster rescue package at the end of last season, including an unprecedented three years worth of priority picks, including the first two selections in November’s national draft and the opening pick in the second round.

The Suns were also gifted Darwin as a regional academy, giving them exclusive access to the Top End’s best talent — without having to match bids on draft night — and can sign up to 10 rookies, up from the standard six.

The Suns signed just 13,649 members in 2019.

Cash-strapped St Kilda received the most of any Victorian club – $20.6 million.

Powerhouse clubs like West Coast, Richmond and Collingwood received base distributions of $11.5 million.

Greater Western Sydney is yet to report to ASIC. The Suns received $23.7 million in AFL distributions in 2018 and $24.7 million in 2017.

just fold already

1 Like

fold and die

same goes for you Gold Coast

5 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

what a joke

Words to live by.

3 Likes

Almost a third, year on year.
That’s appalling.

Ladies and gentlemen, the CEO of the biggest sport in the country

5 Likes

Thinking about getting this as a tattoo.

5 Likes

And he thinks they will be around forever. See other clubs kick up a stink.

The biggest bunch of leeches (Gold Coast). Nice to know the power house clubs prop these pissants up.

They have certainly not done the GC effort correctly, and fcked it up more than once, … but #Hot Take, … I get the why they want it and their determination for it to succeed, and know it’s not about 10 or 20 years,… but more about out to 40 or 50 years from now, and I don’t really have a problem with it.

I do wish they’d also kick off a Tassie and an NT team to round the comp out to 20 teams, and 19 games a season in a hurry though.

3 Likes

That’s the annoying thing BD. If they set up Tassie before them, no issue. But seeing GWS doing so well and GC struggling. It’s a sad state for the comp.

Why have 2 clubs in a state where even the Lions have been struggling to gain members before their recent rise.

1 Like

18 teams is already 6 too many.

Cut out every Melbourne team except Bombers and Collingwood would be the thing to do.

Bizarre? Just shows the AwFuL gave Gold Coast a 1% bonus for being compliant.

1 Like