Season 2020 - North Melbourne

it’ll be exciting, and you’ll definitely get gems with later picks

Screw following last years draft order. Has to be a lottery.

1 Like

I’d at least make it a lottery weighted on last year’s draft order, kind of how the NBA do lottery picks. Or if it’s a pure lottery, do a snaking draft.

3 Likes

Or even a lottery of last year’s bottom 8, then the top 8 as per normal. But the NBA lottery would probably be the best idea.

Yeah something where non finalists get extra weighting might work. Probably hurts us though as we’d be grouped with finalists. Given we got first pick of the finalists last year high potential we would be worse off.

Lottery of last year bottom 6
lottery for middle 6
and lottery top 6

afl already using this model for AFL draw scheduling.

1 Like

I’d prefer a lottery for teams that have won a final and teams that haven’t. Or maybe allot draft picks on the basis of how long since last finals win.

1 Like

Also, you have to be independently solvent to get a draft pick.

3 Likes

Is the call for exactly 2 rounds of draft - ie 36 picks, with some clubs having more than 2 and some having none ?
Or dropping the minimum senior list changes from 3 to 2?

These are very different concepts, with very different consequences.

I can well understand chopping the min. senior list changes down, you’d be a bit stiff to be the 3rd change with 1 game played for the year. Would be some hard calls made.
That way, it’s not stopping club’s freedom or kids’ chance of being drafted.

Having max 2 rounds would be crazy, IMHO. Not solve anything, and be very questionable in terms of future traded picks.

1 Like

Yup, absolutely unworkable. You’d have to get rid of the rookie draft and PSD as well, of course, otherwise they’d just become extensions of the draft. You’d also have to can the supplementary period, because that would just become the draft without a draft order, which would be even worse. And at that point you put clubs in the position where, what, they’re forced to re-sign players they want to delist because there’s still minimum list sizes?

1 Like

Yep.

Bizarre. Even in the pantheon of AFL “solutions looking for a problem”

2 Likes

if there is no more footy player this year I would just can the draft for under 18 players this year which will allow the draft age to be raised. Clubs don’t have to delist anyone unless they want. Draft order relates ladder position from last year. Any trades already down impact 2021 draft etc.

That keeps it clean and avoids any issues with father sons and academy bidding. Otherwise it will just be a typical AFL dogs breakfast.

Actually if community sport gets the Go ahead for July, then you may end up having a better season for viewing draft prospects, especially if there is no school footy - You could do an 8 to 10 round NAB Cup and finals and then have the National championship.

fold

5 Likes

And

3 Likes

DIE!

5 Likes

So.
Ben Brown hasn’t signed a contract, eh?
That’s pretty big news.

Fold

5 Likes