Season 2021 - Brisbane

Sometime losing one helps.
(Buddy)

Yup. Not sold at all that adding spearheads instantly makes you a better team.

If they get Joey at 2017 form, it instantly makes them better. If you’ve got 2 mobile talls like Daniher and Hipwood, that’s a tough match-up for any defence. Maybe instead of Hipwood getting the #1 defender he gets the #2. And then McStay, who has played up forward, maybe he gets the #3 defender. That flow-on effect of Joe being there can make others better as well. This is a team that’s ready to go. They’ve had 2 very strong Home and Away seasons on the bounce, have now got some finals experience under the belt. I can’t see then dropping off. That’s no guarantee they’ll make a GF, but they will be top 4, and from there it’s about being in peak form at the right time.

1 Like

You mean 2 Metre Peter is not our saviour?

1 Like

Lions best 22

B: Starcevich Andrews Answerth
HB: Rich Gardiner J Berry
C: Robinson Lyons McCluggage
HF Rayner Daniher McCarthy
F: Cameron Hipwood McStay
Foll: McInerney Neale Zorko
I/C: Lester, Ah Chee, Bailey, Ellis-Yolmen

EMERG: Cockatoo, Mathieson, K Coleman, B Coleman, Adams

Forwardline boosted, if Cockatoo can get fit and some games under his belt, he could squeeze in the side along with Coleman if he performs in the reserves, they should get opportunities with injury through the year.

Maybe Swap Daniher and Hipwood, if Daniher cant run like he used to and needs to stay closer to goal.

1 Like

They rate Marcus Adams pretty highly up there and it sounds like they’ve finally got him fit (for now) and he’s been a stand out in pre-season so far so I can see him being an automatic selection as a key defender.

Swap him out for Gardiner?

Nah I think they like Gardiner being that 3rd tall defender.

If Hipwood plays like a tall HFFer then maybe there is space for McStay, but I think the ball will ping out quickly from the 3 tall forward structure. But they probably will give that a go to see how they work together.

Like for like, how many Richmond players would you swap into that best 22?
No need for names, just a number.

14 tigers & 8 lions

Liam Baker Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta.

Nick Vlastuin, Andrews Jayden Short

Dion Prestia, Dustin Martin, McCluggage

Rayner Daniher J Berry

Tom Lynch, Jack Riewoldt. Cameron

Toby Nankervis, Trent Cotchin, Neale

Shai Bolton, Zorko , Kane Lambert, Shane Edwards.

Combines Lions/Richmond Best 22
Lions best 22

B: Starcevich Andrews Short
HB: Houli Grimes J Berry
C: McIntosh Prestia McCluggage
HF Zorko Daniher Edwards
F: Cameron Lynch Hipwood
Foll: Nanverkis Martin Neale
I/C: Rich, Balta, Cotchin, Vlaustin

Emg: Bolton, Reiwoldt, Baker, Lambert

I think 50/50 is fair…but Richmonds bottom end depth better, Lions have more youth.

starcevic is a gun I agree - so is liam baker.
I think hipwood is over rated and there is no room for him with jack, lynch & joe.
rich - unbalances the team towards defenders

that’s why I’m 14+8 and your 11+11

Reiwoldt was a gun, but hes old like Houli Edwards etc…with Lynch and Daniher there, it doesnt really matter who the third banana is and Reiwoldt definetly has more runs on the board. Give Hipwood the third best defender and he could do more damage than Reiwoldt IMO.

I felt you can only really pick one of Houli/Rich… And I love Houli, but snuck Rich on the bench, but yeh with Vlaustin there maybe too defensive focused…but remember Rich is pretty versatile too.

Bolton has had one really good year, Genuine talent. probably more balanced if he is in the side over Rich.

Robinson doesn’t make either team.
Interesting.

Joey participated in the Lions podcast.

Things that stood out (and I’m still bitter).

• not everyone was happy about him coming back after the Sydney trade request.
  • he said that his body started feeling good 3-4 weeks after the 2020 season ended (why make that distinction? To avoid giving Essendon the credit for getting him right for the Lions?)
2 Likes

He said he wanted out. Club said no. He got fit and played a handful of games, and dominated one.

Joe held up his side of the bargain. He’s entitled to be a bit ■■■■■■ at the club (if he is) - he clearly had his mind made up, and the club thought it could coerce him into staying.

Good luck to the bloke. I’m looking forward to watching our new number 6 develop as a footballer now.

2 Likes

If only he didn’t dominate 1 game

Except for his contract

6 Likes

I would love to know who wasn’t happy that he came back. I guess we’ll never know.

2 Likes