Season 2021 - Geelong

Probably now the most boring team to watch in the AFL.

3 Likes

More ‘cliff’ predictions.
It’s only been just over a decade now.
I’m sure they’ll reach their cliff sometime this decade.

1 Like

Anyone else think in 1-2 years time geelong are gonna fall off the cliff?

They gave 3 high draft picks for Cameron, if they don’t win the flag this year then thats it in my opinion. They will end up down the bottom this decade and need to rebuild.

2 Likes

Agree, they are slow and have real trouble even getting out of their D50, let alone their D half.

The game plan looks 10 to 15 years out of date and their best players are old and slow.

Straight set cats again

At some point this season it is going to dawn on the Cats hierarchy that they are not going to win a premiership with the oldest list arguably in league history and will need to go into full re-build mode.

1 Like

Probably when they’ll start chasing players like Parish and Merrett (as an example). Rather than going to the draft.

They were an awesome team to watch under Bomber. Tremendous era of success. Well done cats.
But they are too slow to challenge top 4 and there is no point having a list as old as theirs if they don’t contend.

Why would go there knowing they won’t be contending but, rather, re-building?

2 Likes

Fair point!

For Parish it would probably be where he’s played maybe. But he seems pretty committed to Essendon.

My point was more than Geelong would more likely look to poach players from other lists rather than to a full rebuild and get players from the draft.

They are finished.

4 Likes

They didn’t go get Jeremy Cameron, trading an arm and a leg to do so, to suddenly start rebuilding.

If they need to refresh, they’ll be targeting established players.

2 Likes

And we didn’t go and get Saad, Shiel and Stringer thinking we were going into re-build either.

Yet, that where we are right now noting that re-build in Essendon speak is “development year”.

Geelong are not the first team, and won’t be the last, to greatly misjudge just where they are at.

And where they are at is on the edge of a precipice.

They thought they were getting Cameron for free.

3 Likes

They are going to win 6 of their next 7 and be firmly in top 4 contention by the mid-season mark.

Having North next week helps.

They have
North
Eagles (H)
Swans (A)
Richmond (MCG)
Saints
Suns
Pies

If they can at least get 2-2 (every chance) from the next 4 they end up at 7-4 at the bye.

They’ll be fine. They’ll steady like they normally do and by the end of the home and away season they’ll be around the mark. Danger and Cameron back next week for an easy kill against North helps get them rolling again.

The real question will be once more if they get found out come finals time. Last year they at least gave it more of a shake than in previous years under Scott where they’ve tended to get knocked out pretty early despite good home and away seasons.

1 Like

They will easily beat North in Geelong and comfortably beat the Eagles, also in Geelong.

They will win ONE of Sydney and/or Richmond. Swans will fall in a heap sooner rather than later & potentially some Grand Final ‘revenge’ against the Tigers, but Tigers will be favourites.

Geelong is St Kilda’s bogey team and don’t give the Saints much hope there. Gold Coast in Geelong is an easy one and Collingwood will have an ordinary year.

I would be banking on the fact that non-holding the ball decision at the end of the Cats vs Lions game will be an important 4 points when it comes to seeing which of those two teams finish in the top 4.

Geelong could have done a running re-set if they didn’t give up three first rounders for Cameron - I suspect this deal will set Geelong back and believe they will miss finals.

2 Likes