Season 2022 - Brisbane

same as us :joy:

1 Like

I don’t feel like they really have the cream to compete in finals. I’d actually be looking to take a gamble on a bloke like de goey at the end of the year, they need some x factor in the midfield.

Not really, he played more forward against brisbane and a couple of games when he came back from injury, west coast and richmond, other then that he had over 20 cbas almost every game.

i guess when you think about him missing 4 games if he played them and got another 9 goals would have kicked 50 as a forward mid.
bloody impressive season.

1 Like

Joe had one of the most overrated seasons of all time in 2021. Consistently average. I honestly reckon they’ll drop off. Had a stack of players having career best seasons and didn’t seem to cop any injuries. That’ll change. Reckon they’ll miss the 4.

2 Likes

Usually when younger players are on the sidelines for a prolonged period of time, they take a year to get back to a base / level then have a ‘breakout’ type year.
I think Daniher will have a career best year this year.
Then never get anywhere near that level again.
This’ll be Brisbane’s best shot at a premiership with this list.
I think they’ll fall just short. Either second week or in the Prelim.
I think Joey’s wayward kicking will cost them a final.

I’m utterly comvinced his best will be 2017 by a fair stretch. What’s he actually improved upon since then? If anything he’s gotten a bit stronger but isn’t anywhere near as quick or athletic.

4 Likes

Physically that year was his best.
But the team around him (which is genuine top 4) will make up for his physical shortfalls as well as gelling with his teammates a bit more.

I actually reckon our gamelan in 2017 which was essentially just rebound and slingshot at all costs worked well for him a lot. Allowed him a lot of cheap easy goals by catching his opponent off guard and out of positin

He’s 28 in March, no longer a “younger player”. The way he plays footy makes you feel that he’s perpetually 22-23 years old though. He’s never matured as a player, he played like a 3rd-4th year player every year and makes the same dumb mistakes over and over again. I think he will have a similar year to 2021.

3 Likes

I’m glad they were forced to up Daniher’s pay to make him a FA without us matching. That big chunk of salary and little depth will come back to high them. Thrown in some age starting to come in to guys still key to them like rich, Robinson and Zorko and they are two years from a window being shut.

Can’t see them winning a flag.

Would be nice if we could land a free agent key forward who can kick 50 goals a year.

free agents / restricted free agents available
Daniel McStay
Darcy Moore
*Jordan De Goey
Jack Gunston
Tom Hawkins - likely retires
Tom McDonald
Buddy - likely retires
Josh Kennedy - likely retires

If Joe Daniher was added to that list he would be pretty desirable, given he is a little younger.

we need to sign
laverde & Langford
Heppell and Hurley OOC also.

could be a massive year of retirements
-Hawkins, Kennedy, Reiwoldt, Franklin,Selwood, Boak, Cotchin, Hurley, Johannisen, Stef Martin, Shannon Hurn, Shane Edwards, Robbie Gray, David Mundy, Daniel Rich

Hurleys effectively 28 hrs missed that much footy.

Without knowing much about the debilitating medical issues that have made his body a merry canon of fiery hell to get about in, I say he’ll play again.

I dont know if McStay could be a 50 goal a year forward. If he can, well then Peter Wright probably can too.

They will be hard to stop. Joe and Hipwood is a brilliant forward combo, Neale and McLug provide midfield star power, and Andrews is the best key defender in the league. They’ve got talent on every line.

hipwood wont be back until mid year/latter stages

but yeah, i dunno about brissy. kind of heard the same thing for years.

We are going to flog them in rnd 2 no Monsoon conditions at Marvel for you to take advantage of Brisbane.

First home game of the year with a hostile bomber crowd cheering the boys on Joe is going to cop it.

We are going to blow off the roof at Marvel

1 Like

yeh wasn’t saying they were 50 goal forwards though some of the old blokes are, they were just the free agents, and if a player like joe Daniher was available as a free agent we would likely be interested.

No wonder Joe likes it up at Brisbane out of the real spotlight. Performs worse than he did pre-injury and gets lauded for it!

Daniher, 27, was recruited by the Lions during the 2020 trade period and excelled in numerous areas after multiple recent injury-riddled seasons with Essendon.

Not only did he play every game, he kicked a goal or more in all his matches bar one, showcasing a level of consistency he’d failed to reach in his Essendon career previously.

Article now showing

Not only did he play every game, he kicked a goal or more in all his matches bar one, showcasing a level of consistency he had not reached since his last full season of 2017.

1 Like