Season 2024 - West Coast

Gone

1 Like

They finally decided to rip the bandaid off.

Was going to say they’ll get a bounce back win now. But they’ve got Brisbane and Sydney in the next two weeks.

Derby should be interesting.

1 Like

He can’t feel hard done by in any way. No coach on earth would survive his record over the past 4-5 years. Should have been sacked years ago.

1 Like

Minimising the pay out for the last 2 years.

1 Like

Honestly, I reckon he’s been done and ready to go for a while also, but wasn’t quitting with so much money left on the table.
So both parties just sat on their hands and wasted 2 years…

5 Likes

Will always be a Premiership coach. Can’t take that away from him. And he did it with a team that was obviously decent but not exactly laden with superstars.

At the core of their success was a defensive structure behind the ball (“West Coast web”) that confounded teams. Worth noting too that they won the flag that year without three players who most people would have said were critical at the time in Naitanui, Gaff and Sheppard.

Despite the lethargy that engulfed the place thereafter, he was clearly a very astute tactical coach. I’m sure he’d feel a sense of relief today more than anything.

15 Likes

Ok Harley, ask for a trade. You have every reason now.

2 Likes

It was probably time for a new voice, but he’s been a great coach for them and can’t blame WC predicament on him - blame poor drafting, terrible list management Including excessively long and overpaid contracts to ageing players and a few players not putting 100% in after 2018

I think he’s done well this year - remember there were people predicting them to go winless - 3 wins is pretty good up to this point

I reckon he’d make a very good coach elsewhere after a break

2 Likes

Coach sacking, always the biggest story in footy

It will be talkback radio frenzy on 6PR…

3 Likes

Well said, I think he would make a good director of coaching to a team like port if they sacked Hinkley they could bring him in that role over a Josh Carr

3 Likes

No real surprise given Simpson’s recent comments and the lack of denial that Eagles players had made their feelings known. Not sure if he will be a senior coach again, but certainly can see him being a senior assistant or maybe a football department head at another club eventually.

1 Like

So presumably they’ll have to pay him out his contract, and pay whoever the next coach is, which will impact their salary cap. We should offer to take Reid off their hands.

4 Likes

I could see him ending up back at NM as an assistant under Clako.

Then taking the senior role once Clako decides he’s had enough/farks up again.

2 Likes

I think that’s where the talk about WCE sacking him last season with 2 years to run was going to cost them $7 Million. That would be the cost of paying him out, employing his replacement (plus assistants), and the penalties for exceeding the football department soft cap. Obviously that cost will be less now.

1 Like

I wonder if either Gia or Caracella will put their hands up for the job or if they’ve both given up senior coach aspirations.

POS FC

4 Likes

I’d be very surprised if a non-Western Australian got the job…

WSPHU

homer simpson GIF (giphy.com)