Secret shame

I was in the USA, going to Uni, the family I was staying with bought me some Vegemite so I would feel at home. Chris took the lid off and shoved it under my nose, I threw up all over her lunch and the table.
I was full of apologies and said I will clean up the mess. She said, she was sorry, it was meant to be a surprise (well it was, wasn’t it?) she had no idea I was allergic to that stuff and then added, I wouldn’t eat it either. True story the family dined out on that for the whole time I was there.

2 Likes

I’m sorta the same, the smell of vegemite makes me so queasy that I’ve never actually tried eating it (or any similar derivatives such as marmite).

1 Like

Totally agree. Poached eggs on buttered and Vegemited sourdough with a side of avocado. The Vegemite turns a bland breakfast into a delicious one.

3 Likes

l prefer my Vegemite on toast to be covered with grilled tasty/cheddar cheese. Lately that toast is Coles sourdough and olive bread.

3 Likes

Omg! That Coles olive bread is amazing!!!

6 Likes

It’s awesome, you can eat it without anything on it too- that’s how good it is!

3 Likes

Sooo good!

1 Like

I think that’s a Laurent recipe. My two go-to breads atm are Laurent sourdough and the Woodfrog baguette. Both can be eaten without even butter.

2 Likes

They dined out on it?

3 Likes

I thought it was an anxiety thing that made do, but my mum and sister are the same. We’re preppers from way back! No shame in it.

1 Like

They told the story over and over to all their friends, who thought it was hilarious.

It’s good and so is sliced tomato over vegemite toast… Aussie bruschetta!

Hmm, … I do remember going spare on PB & Tomato sangas with salt and pepper after I discovered them as a kid for a while, … but Tomato & Veg is a new one. :thinking:

Might give it a try with some amazing Organic late season ones my Neighbour gave me tonight.

Hope it doesn’t turn out to be perfect Tomato sacrilege, … :wink:

when young id only eat lettuce with tomato sauce on it!

Seriously? Wow, … that is something.

Might even beat my old mate “Fang”, who as a 4th 5th 6th Grader would order nothing but Tom sauce sangas when we came back from Surfing, and the same after school at his house, … but his obsession didn’t end there.

I never know which one to finish this story on, as to wihich one qualifies as the strangest, … but he would have Tomato sauce on Cornflakes after School too, … and, believe it or not, … on Ice Cream as well.

(Ok, for once & for all help me out here Blitz, … which one is weirdest and works best as the finale??? :thinking:)

tomato sauce on ice cream is the winner!

3 Likes

l was pleasantly surprised when l started work in China to find so many bakeries there. l lived only a 10 minute walk from work, but in between were 10 bakeries. Mostly they just sold wite generic white bread, or some strange concoctions like shredded pork on buns, and a few of the bakeries went bust over the years. However there was one chain that did a decent sesame seed bread, and also some garlic bread and crusty bread sticks. Then over the years they gradually stopped making most of the things l liked. They sold very small loaves of only 9 or 10 slices.

Only if it’s covered in hommus

Yuk, that is truly disgusting. No, I haven’t tasted it but its like tomato sauce of fish and chips.

1 Like

What, to kill the taste, garlic gob?