Semi Final vs Footscray, 2:40pm Sunday 11 September at North Port Oval

The Russian will destroy The Minson
Well he did last time they met. I reckon he will this time as well.
Anyone who's seen a bit of the VFL this year got thoughts on the ins and outs for Footscray? Is it a case of talent out but willingness in - as in the blokes coming back in wanting to be there and making for a more cohesive unit etc? They've been beaten up a bit recently, hate for us to come in even a little complacent. Also how big a factor is Minson these days, especially given Jamar was the difference for us last week? Appreciate any thoughts if you've got the time

In the first pre-season game, the Dogs were awesome, the way they were able to stifle our forwards maintaining really good structure down back. Beat us convincingly. Fast forward to Round 7: Jamar 45 hitouts to Minson 24. Minson was useful around the ground however. The really good half back structure typical of the doggies was not evident in that match, which they won by about 3 goals . Jamar is arguably playing even better and Minson cannot hold his place in the AFL side. But the main difference will be the much tougher midfield we are running with. A number of players who are playing full on contested footy, who didnt play in the midfield in round 7 ( you know who they are but one who was good last week was the big bodied midfielder Ben Dobson) . Together with a team containing around 12 AFL listed players, I think we have a good chance if we can bring the intensity of Q1 and Q4 last week and kick accurately.

Good stuff, thanks very much for the insights. A further question, after we beat these canal rats and turn up for the prelim, what are the chances, being a dons/pies final in a year where neither are contesting AFL finals, of a sellout crowd? I’m assuming all finals but the GF are still at Port and only asking as I’m a good chance to be over for it with five or six others and probably won’t get there till half time. Am I crazy to be worried about this or is there a chance I’m watching from outside the fence with a brown paper bag?

Where’s the team?

B)

Where's the team?

B)

They’re training behind the camera that is taking shots of an “empty” hangar.
Good stuff, thanks very much for the insights. A further question, after we beat these canal rats and turn up for the prelim, what are the chances, being a dons/pies final in a year where neither are contesting AFL finals, of a sellout crowd? I'm assuming all finals but the GF are still at Port and only asking as I'm a good chance to be over for it with five or six others and probably won't get there till half time. Am I crazy to be worried about this or is there a chance I'm watching from outside the fence with a brown paper bag?

If we play Collingwood, I would like to hear a compilation of the sledges Cloke cops. But only if we win.

Heard on the news that the dogs took a full squad of 25 to Perth for the final which could help us.

Preview http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=47457020

1st SEMI FINAL
Footscray vs Essendon
Sunday September 11, 2.40pm, North Port Oval

Winner to play: Collingwood

Footscray’s VFL-listed talent was exposed against Casey’s hardened bodies in their Qualifying Final, with just eight AFL-listed Bulldogs taking the field. Senior leaders Jordan Russell and Anthony Barry did what they could, but the younger generation were found out late in the game. Essendon, meanwhile, had a mix of AFL and VFL Bombers contribute to their thrilling victory over Geelong. James Polkinghorne (22 disposals, four goals) and Mark Jamar (53 hitouts) were inspirational, while the emergence of Aaron Heppell (28 disposals, 13 clearances - pictured, left) and Nash Holmes (three goals) continued apace.

Footscray ruckman Will Minson faces the task of curbing Jamar’s influence, while a Mitch Honeychurch-led midfield must stand up as it did in a 19-point win against Essendon in Round 7. Another concern will be who the Bulldogs target up forward – if their under-sized attack featuring Mitch Hannan, Nick Jamieson and Jordan Staley can’t win the aerial battle, Bombers defenders such as James Ferry and Josh Freezer will sweep the ball back out. Footscray faces a challenge to reverse Essendon’s win in last year’s Semi Final, but it’s now common knowledge the Bulldogs will never lie down.

They play tonight, vfl Sunday, so probably not

We will pay Collingwood if we win

SEMI FINAL 2
FOOTSCRAY V ESSENDON
Sunday 11th September, 2:40 PM
NORTH PORT OVAL

(Peter Jackson VFL and Swisse VFL Women’s Double Header - Women’s 11:50am & Men’s 2:40pm)

FOOTSCRAY

B
44. J Adcock
18. F Roberts
36. B Lynch

HB
31. B Dale
37. R Smith
19. L Webb

C
65. J Russell
34. B Williams
51. L Dalgleish

HF
22. M Honeychurch
25. K Stevens
16. T McLean

F
13. N Hrovat
15. T Campbell
26. D Hamilton

R
27. W Minson
68. A Barry
61. L Nash

Int
67. J Wallis
72. G Hamilton
56. W Hayes
54. N Jamieson
66. M Hannan
60. A Tashevski-Beckwith
57. J Staley
55. A Greenwood

23P
69. B Long

ESSENDON

B
10. A Francis
68. J Ferry
77. J Freezer

HB
14. J Ashby
56. S Michael
57. B McNiece

C
34. J Long
59. A Heppell
20. J Merrett

HF
19. S Edwards
67. J Langford
45. C McKenna

F
41. W Hams
82. B Dobson
27. M Redman

R
52. M Jamar
62. D Coghlan
50. J Polkinghorne

Int
83. N Hind
46. T Wallis
25. A Morgan
60. S Heavyside
75. A Mcleod
61. A Boyse
70. A Marklew
38. N Kommer

23P
76. N Holmes

Oh hambo. Read the last line and get a clue.

Told you Holmes was no good. dropped

We will pay Collingwood if we win

Dont worry. Our young players will rise to the occasion If we beat the Dogs.

Add your caption. if you dare.

IN: Hind, McLeod, Boyse, Marklew (all on the bench)
OUT: small crowds

For them:

In:
13. N Hrovat
15. T Campbell
16. T McLean
18. F Roberts
25. K Stevens
34. B Williams
56. W Hayes

Out:
47. M Austin
52. S Deery
53. J Grabowski
62. B Olsson
64. J Hayes
71. D Houghton

Someone who follows the AFL can tell us if that means much. Apart from Tom “stolen” Campbell, I know him.

Nick Hind

Oh hambo. Read the last line and get a clue.

I’ve got a fever, my brain is not functioning properly. Isn’t 23p emergency? Anyway I think everbody already knows he’s good after Campbell Brown raving on about him and HepA last week.

Surprisingly difficult to find the current rules for the 23rd man.

There’s an age limit (or less than X years out of the TAC cup), possibly a limit on how many times you can play the role at a given club in a year (was 5 games at one point).

But certainly not an emergency player.

thanks David