Send Off Rule

Like anything in AFL land.

Threat of legal action.

20 (EDIT: sorry, 16) weeks rubbed out over a career = deregistration.
Which could mean millions of dollars of salary for the player, and an inevitable counter claim, and close inspection of precedent, past penalties etc.

They’ll do anything to stay out of court.

Just watched the Gaff incident. He will go and for weeks, and he should. But…he did not mean to hit him in the head he was trying to hit wack him in the chest, like players do all the time. The fact that he connected with his jaw makes it look bad but I really dont think he intended to hit him in the head.

1 Like

L
O
L

Great point, and I bet you’re right.

If threshold for a send off is the same as what Diggers is talking about, it would be far higher than that of a send off in soccer. The scenarios being discussed aren’t the sort of incidents you can fake and would surely have to involve some kind of video review of the incident*.

*the absence of which is something that has bugged me about red cards in soccer for some time

1 Like

No reason this couldn’t happen via video review. There’s always 3 extra umpires there (field, boundary, goal).
Might mean a temporary “sin bin” for the offender, while they do the review. Go over the footage, and you’re either goneski, or back available in 5 minutes.

Yep.

Only for the big ones that involve the head.
Hall, Wellingham, Gaff type ones

Save it for the types of incidents that could see the offender in gaol if it happened anywhere else but on an AFL sanctioned playing arena.

1 Like

If that’s the criteria than I suspect Allir Allir and Majak Daw will be selectively targeted

3 Likes

Yikes.

It can’t be too hard, can it?

I know we’ve got this thing in AFL about being that hard we don’t need a send off provision but we’ve evolved a bit since then, haven’t we?

1 Like

I’m for a yellow/red card system for sending off players for stuff like this.

But I simply don’t trust the umpires to use it responsibily. We know for a fact they have very little grasp on the flow of the game.

It just takes a bloke like Chamberlain to be waving red cards around when players don’t deserve it.

As far as I know it’s a thing at every level of the sport except the one with the most at stake.

What’s to stop WCE or Collingwood in this year’s GF sending out a bloke to incapacitate Reiwoldt and Martin in the first quarter?

And you’d give up… two free kicks?

Take that. Every single time.

Never underestimate the ability of the AFL to take an ok idea and completely fark up the implementation

4 Likes

If players were taken off the field, they would soon learn a way.

That is baloney, fans wont riot because their player decked someone behind player. He had a sit down, hoped to take the sting out of the situation, then come back on. Freo went the man as they had every right too, but as wim said, if he had have stayed off the rest of the game it would have boiled over further. If RTB was seething after the game, imagine if Gaff had have stayed off the ground for the remainder

R the B was seething because a) his player has been assaulted and had to go to hospital and b) the guy who assaulted his player is still playing and kicking goals.

I’d like to say I can’t believe you actually think that Gaff’s presence on the field after assaulting Brayshaw somehow diffused the situation but I see your logic spread over multiple threads so I’m not really surprised.

True, yet all the umpires yesterday, including the 3 extra didn’t see that incident

Rod Grinter.

Got himself a reputation after cleaning Terry Wallace’s clock too. When he was with the Dogs.

I’d say there have been a few like that since…Lockett/Caven, Bugg/Mills, Hall/Staker

2 Likes

Because it happened way off the ball, behind the play.