Send Off Rule

They would have been riots if he had have stayed off the field, so you remember the Milburn hit on Silvagni? Even Murphy, his own teammate wanted to hit him.

And going by your logic, I would assume you are a 7 year old as you see it fit to change teams like a child would.

The first vision I saw of the incident, it looked as if one umpire was looking straight at it…at least should have seen it out of the corner of his eye.

There was a VFA grand final years ago where Phil Cleary got sent off, then cleared at the tribunal.

One of them got it wrong…in my opinion, it was the tribunal.

Osbourne broke Anthony Daniher’s jaw “in a marking contest” at PP one day, despite the ball being about 15m away. Think it may have been in 91 or 92.

Probably couldn’t believe what he just saw…

HAP was saying that there are 3 extra umpires so the sin bin could work.

What if it’s a tight game, sent to review it, gun player is off for 5 minutes while they review it. They’ll also need some information from the medico as well. Comes back all good, yet said player is off for 5 minutes.

It’s good in theory, but will be too hard to manage. The best way to do it is for the AFL to absolutely go to town on Gaff and give him 12-16 weeks for it.

1 Like

There is a reserve maggot at every game. Have him/her sit in the review room and advise the field umpires if something has happened that warrants sending off. Yesterday’s incident would have taken all of 10 seconds to ascertain the what had happened.

The irony of Leigh Matthews backing a red card system, and suggesting Police should pursue Gaff.

POLICE SHOULD HAVE OPTION TO PURSUE GAFF: LETHAL

FREMANTLE has provided a medical update on Andrew Brayshaw after the brutal punch from Andrew Gaff that shocked the footy world with Leigh Matthews backing a red card system.
](https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/follow-live-all-the-sunday-footy-action-as-an-incredible-round-20-continues/news-story/0c774d1f37d551b5bc89e828530ff2ca)

1 Like

So you’re going to have an extra person in the room for over 200 games a year for something that might happen once every 10 years? You said it yourself, you’ve only seen 3 incidents in your lifetime that warranted a send off. How long have you been following football for?

Gaff should get 12-16 for it, that’s probably the only way it can be punished. The send off rule will just open up a can of worms

The reserve umpire is at the ground anyway.

Goal review umpire can do that.

Just think there are too many what ifs thay can come from this.

AFL circling the wagons again.

Reckon the Police need to step up and charge Gaff with assault.

It was not an accident and while his intent may not have been to break his jaw, many blokes have charged with a great deal less. Might make a few other think before they hit anyone.

There have been calls for the police to intervene but I’m not sure if the police can act autonomously or require the victim to approach them with a complaint first.

It made the game interesting and the tension was incredible.

I don’t believe in making rule changes on one every six year events.

Police can act unilaterally and don’t need Brayshaw to lodge a complaint. The WAPol Commissioner has already commented to that effect but added they would ordinarily wait on the victim to approach them.

1 Like

Police can do whatever they want, but in practice they won’t ever lay charges in a matter like this without the cooperation of the victim.

Based on some of your comments I thought you already had.

Yeah, this is kind of where I am at.

The AFL already comes under criticism for over-reacting and putting in rules or processes that are out of whack* with the associated risk.

This type of thing happens once every few years. Lets just use the existing system to punish the perpetrator hard to hopefully stamp it out for good.

If a red card system was introduced you know that some ‘well intentioned’ official will red card somebody for a bump or crude tackle, only for the charge to be down-graded afterwards.

*no pun intended

Well if it makes the game more interesting play on then

The AFL should designate one player from each game to be that weeks victim and the opposition side are allowed to rearrange that players skull to create drama and satisfy the bloodlust of the fans