Send Off Rule

Oh fark, have I been posting with the Fairybread Emulator turned on!
That’s only meant for text messages.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, i would probably watch this

1 Like

Red card?

Isn’t that what MMA is for?

Yeah but it’s way more fun when the victim doesn’t see it coming, right?

1 Like

If it were up to me that wouldn’t warrant being sent off. Reported and a 50m penalty but not sent off. It was high contact whilst the player was actively involved in the play.

Now if M Long struck the Melbourne fellow with a clenched fist to the face whilst behind play, different story.

Haven’t read all of the above but just imagine the sniping that could occur to get the retaliator sent off.
How often have we seen the retaliator cop the penalty?

1 Like

Coleman?

In Victoria at least Police can charge the player without any input from victim.

Have seen it happen at a suburban footy game.

2 Likes

It’s still an arbitrary line that is being drawn somewhere. Regardless of how blatant this one appears, others will stray closer to “the line” and errors will occur. It’s not a decision for gameday.
As @SMJ said; the ban needs to be the disincentive, so make it sufficient. 10-12 weeks plus a punitive 50-100k fine.

The issue of the team being down a player is unrelated to the incident itself and can (obviously) occur for any number of reasons, including reportable offences that you (@diggers) wouldn’t deem worthy off a send off.

AFL needs to bring in a stand alone concussion sub, just to reduce risk in that area. Only reason it can be used, players who go off can’t play next week. That would have removed the numeric advantage in this case as well (no way that Brayshaw wasn’t concussed).

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

I’ll stand corrected but I understand Gillon poo-poo’d the idea of a send off rule due to inconsistencies personally experienced at ammo level?

Must. Resist. Low hanging fruit…

1 Like

I think they should do it like soccer. Could really enhance the product.

Have a room full of 8 very very very well paid officials at EVERY game doing nothing but standing around watching every incident at every game. When they see anything remotely controversial they signal to all the umpires (of which there are now 12 under my proposed changes). These umpires then stop play and signal to the VAR screen and all ceremonially march over to watch the incident (all crowded around one TINY screen with low res grainy footage - quality cameras are EXPENSIVE). They look for less than 30 seconds (if they need more time to make the right call then too bad - this is the AFL and it’s bad for the product to do that) and then all vote on send off or not. If the vote is deadlocked 6-6 then we cross to Gillon in the crowd (or via video screen if interstate) who stands up and gives the thumbs up or down to the ROAR of the crowd who at this point are jumping up and down like baboons.

The jubilation and dismay of the respective teams is apparent after the decision which makes for great TV meanwhile Basil and Dwyane have been commentating with pseudo intellectual play on words (Basil: “looks like Patton was a bit too militant in his approach here!” Dwayne: “THEY’RE A MAN DOWN THE GIANTS. THEY’RE ONE SHORT!”).

Following the thumbs down from Gil, Patton is restrained by the armed guard who usually carries the Brownlow into the ceremony who has now been bought on to a full time role. The ceremonial oversized cannon is wheeled out into the middle of the MCG as the energy in the stadium reaches fever pitch. Patton is loaded into the cannon and the opposition captain marches over, beats his chest like an ape and lights the fuse, firing him into the sun.

The cannon is wheeled back off the ground and play resumes.

7 Likes

Unless the ammos rule has changed, the send-off rule there leaves you with 17 players on the field.

That’s one possibility, but a more reasonable possibility is to make it 21 on 21. Offending player is replaced on the field, but unable to return.

Ps Gill’s a fool and an embarrassment to the game.

2 Likes

I don’t know how the umpires missed it surely that is why they now have 3 or 4 of them out there they cant all have been up the other end watching the play. As for a send off it will be just another way for the umpires to manipulate the game

1 Like

Hall actually got 10 weeks, but was reduced by 25% with an early guilty plea to be 7 weeks plus carryover points. That was the old tribunal system 10 years ago.

He managed to hit a Daniher on the chin?

you can bet the AFL will be manipulating that so the police don’t get involved I think they should be if that were on the street we’d be howling if he got bail !!

There absolutely is the ability for police to take action, a mate of mine had to front court for a footy field incident.
Brayshaw just has to press charges, which he probably won’t want to.