Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Robbie Amos! Good call. Beautifully balanced, highly skilled, a very natural sort of footballer. You’d probably liken him to Matthew Lappin, but a bit more solid.

He was playing during the Bill Stephen era (I seem to recall) and my dad and I were doing statistics for Bill, so we had access to the players. My 13 year old sister was in love with Robbie Amos and asked me to deliver a love letter to him “Dear Amos (yep, she actually referred to him as Amos) You’re my favourite player and I hope you never leave the club, Love Catherine”. Not being a St Kilda player of course, nothing ever came of it.

The other thing I remember about Robbie Amos was that he wore long-sleeves every week and the number 11 was sewn on his back a bit wonky. I can never remember any of my passwords but I still remember that piece of useless trivia!

4 Likes

ben haynes

darren welsh

I remember someone taunting Heady over in Perth. We got flogged, as you say. But I thought the taunter was someone else. Can’t remember his name but he was short with red hair. Might have had some indigenous blood and might have had a brother(?) play for us at one stage. Vague I know, sorry.

EDIT: I think his name was Delaney?

played a couple of games late one season, got injured pre-season or very early the following season and missed the whole season.

didn’t really get a look in after that.

had plenty of speed, and was good disposal skills…just don’t think he found enough of the footy.

Played in Footscray’s VFL Premiership in 2016 from memory though.

Big Ilija Grgic

2 Likes

yes?

Jay nash

imageimage

2 Likes

He lived directly accross the road from me in Seddon during his brief time with us.

I was putting the bins out one morning and gave him a neighbourly wave and a “good morning”. He was so startled he fell in to the gutter and ran inside.

Sums up his career with us pretty well.

8 Likes

kurt aylett.
The only bloke stoked to beat the lions in that shithouse game in 2014

5 Likes

Julian Kirtzner

Remember him kicking bags in the ressies round 92-93 I think, undersized FF. Think he ended up at the Kangas for a year or two

2 Likes

Big leap on him Julian.

1 Like

Ilia Grgic was the spuddiest spud that ever spudded - AND he spent 2 years on the list! Scrap that, Judd (Dudd) Lalich was pretty spuddy!!!

Matthew Banks & Matthew Watson - 2 talls in the mid to late nineties who looked like they could’ve done more!

Also remember watching Craig O’Brien kick a bag at Windy Hill one day in the 80’s. Did quite well for Sydney in the 90’s I think!

2 Likes

Also - maybe some of the older members can help out with this - Trevor Spencer. Apparently we had a choice of him or someone called Jason Dunstall!!!

Finally - remember thinking we made a big mistake by not playing Aaron Henneman in the 2001 GF. Always thought he was gonna be the Fletcher / Wellman replacement :-/

Rumour mill around local footy said “Ben Haynes plays for Ben Haynes, no one else.”

Thought he had a bit of ability in his few games with us.

Incidentally, Big Ilija Grgic is the chairman of the board of my old school. Think he’s done quite well in business, obviously a smart bloke.

Then he was the Alessio replacement (second ruck)

Huge, I thought he’d be the next Coleman.

Ben “footsteps” Haynes had plenty of talent, but a heart the size of a pea, and was about as hard as a bowl of custard.

3 Likes

Saw him in a game out at Preston. Saw someone coming and just stepped out of the way. It was like a bullfighter, but this bull was only about 80kg.

1 Like