Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Dean Rioli

I like everyone else thought Scott Cummings was going to be the answer to our forward prayers. He turned out to be a good forward... for West Coast that is.

Also, I remember at the same time Jordan Banister kicking bags of goals in the 2s and I thought - wow, we have Cummings and Banister who both kick huge numbers - awesome. Well Jordan never took off but was serviceable in the backline for the blues.

Another obvious one was Gavin Wanganeen. I was sure he'd play 300 plus games for us and become captain one day... still a champion.

Cummings and Julian Kirzner running around in the reserves looked like our key forwards were sorted for the next decade. (Which they eventually were, it just wasn't these two) 

Some ridiculous bags of goals kicked by those two, back in the day when you could actually watch the reserves before the big game.  

I forgot about Julian Kirzner! - actually, you have corrected me. It was Julian Kirzner and not Bannister.

I like everyone else thought Scott Cummings was going to be the answer to our forward prayers. He turned out to be a good forward... for West Coast that is.

Also, I remember at the same time Jordan Banister kicking bags of goals in the 2s and I thought - wow, we have Cummings and Banister who both kick huge numbers - awesome. Well Jordan never took off but was serviceable in the backline for the blues.

Another obvious one was Gavin Wanganeen. I was sure he'd play 300 plus games for us and become captain one day... still a champion.

Cummings and Julian Kirzner running around in the reserves looked like our key forwards were sorted for the next decade. (Which they eventually were, it just wasn't these two) 

Some ridiculous bags of goals kicked by those two, back in the day when you could actually watch the reserves before the big game.  

HAHA, Julian Kirzner, I forgot all about him!  At the time I thought he was going to be the next big thing. I wouldn't miss a reserves match just to see how many he would kick. Bags and bags.

I think he only played 1 or 2 in the end with only a couple of goals to his name and then he was gone.  Went to north and didn't do much there either.

Was on the short side for a key forward, bout 6'2 but had a massive leap on him. I thought he's be the next Coleman.

At north he bulked up too much in the gym in the end and lost that ability to compete in the air.

Looking back he probably was a one trick pony and benefited from sitting in the goal square all day.

I actually thought Cory McGrath was going to be the next Michael Long.

Reimdog!

I'm hearing he might get a second shot at it

Todd Ridley.

Thought he could of been a decent CHF.

Todd made a fantastic contribution to the club.
The fact he did this by leaving is beside the point

Adam Ramanauskas. He played 130-odd games for us, but we were robbed of his absolute best football years.

6 Likes

Agree with many of the names above.

Another name is Leon Baker. Arrived aged 24, two flags, five seasons - and he was gone.

2 Likes

Willie ■■■■.

1 Like

Fabulous Phil Carmen!!

Richard Cole... what a waste of time.....

Dayle Garlett

I actually thought Cory McGrath was going to be the next Michael Long.

Not sure what was going on behind the scenes but I felt he was never given a fair crack at it.

Willie ■■■■.

Damn you brem, Willie was mine!!

I'll go Terry Cahill then - number 20, some time around the late 70s. Smooth, poised, skilled rover who could do it all. Nearly died on field in the Moorabbin bloodbath (I think Carl Ditterich king-hit him, is that correct?) when a trainer had to extract his mouthguard from his windpipe. Hird-like abililty to stand-up in tackles and take all the time he needed. Wouldn't have put together more than 60 or so games at a guess?

Willie ■■■■.

Damn you brem, Willie was mine!!
I'll go Terry Cahill then - number 20, some time around the late 70s. Smooth, poised, skilled rover who could do it all. Nearly died on field in the Moorabbin bloodbath (I think Carl Ditterich king-hit him, is that correct?) when a trainer had to extract his mouthguard from his windpipe. Hird-like abililty to stand-up in tackles and take all the time he needed. Wouldn't have put together more than 60 or so games at a guess?
Dammit, I was about to say (or more precisely type) Terry Cahill. He could have been anything.

Simon Eastaugh, Shawn Lewfatt, Paul Hills, Tony Delaney I thought could all play a bit. Then there was Dwayne Armstrong: he couldn’t! I have this vague memory of Armstrong being brought over for training and ending up on the back of the HS with Werner Rieterer the discus thrower in EFC training singlets. I could’ve sworn they were just trying have Armstrong’s photo taken with the whitest person they could find.

On Kirzner it was wierd, they brought him in for his 1st game in round 23 or 24 against Carlton and we beat them, (for the second time that year, the 1st being by 1pt at Waverley thanks to an amazing goal from jh into a howling wind from 50 out!). I think Kirzner may have kicked a couple from a few touches, but was gone at years end.

I was always a sucker for those silky half forward types - Bradley Plain as mentioned, Ben Haynes more recently. Peter Berbakov I thought should have been a 200 game player for the club - I rated him as a very good defender but he had a horrible injury early in 99 to his ankle and he never came back the same player.

1 Like

Dwayne Armstrong

Dwayne Armstrong

Who's next.... Goaner Tutlan ????

Roger Hampson. Tall, fast (he was a state champion hurdler), well built wingman who burst onto the scene in 1969. After just one or two games in the twos he found himself in the seniors where he played eight straight, averaging about 20 possessions a match, before getting badly injured. He didn't play at all in 1970, came back for another two unspectacular games in 1971 and that was it; he never palyed again. Richmond star Bill Barrot in a newspaper article at the end of 1969 nominated him as the prototype wingman of the coming seventies.