Short careers...which ones do you think about?

The mid 2000s would have been a much more cheerful chunk of a decade if we'd had a healthy Rama, a motivated Cupido, and an uninjured Winders running around in the midfield...

2 Likes

Wayne Beddison. Early eighties - 1982 maybe? High flying forward, looked like he could be anything. Remember watching him in a game at the SCG we lost by a goal and he was very exciting. Then he just packed up his bags went home. Country boy, he was homesick.

1 Like

Wayne Beddison. Early eighties - 1982 maybe? High flying forward, looked like he could be anything. Remember watching him in a game at the SCG we lost by a goal and he was very exciting. Then he just packed up his bags went home. Country boy, he was homesick.

That was Round 1 1983. It was also Bomber Thompson's debut. You win some, you lose some.

Matthew Banks

Doc Wheildon, Jonathon Robran, Michael Close & T- Rex (Austin Lucy).

Always thought Michael Werner was a decent player when i was a young kid, and was upset when traded.

My memory is hazy, but i think he kicked 5 against us in a game Hird got a bag, could have been 93 or 94.

Andrew Merryweather.

Ricky Olarenshaw. Injuries cruelled him after '93.

With Paul Hills and Michael Long we practically played with 3 wingmen during '93. If only they weren't all cursed by injury in the following seasons...

2 Likes

Doc Wheildon, Jonathon Robran, Michael Close & T- Rex (Austin Lucy).

Short career, shorter arms!
1 Like

Paul Weston.

Dean Rioli

Andrew Merryweather.

If only he had played another 99 games for us, Cameron Guthrie would be donning the sash.

Terry Cahill

Bob Greenwood

Neale Daniher

Graeme Moss

Wayne Beddison

Rama

All had supreme talent

I’ll put in a vote for D Rioli.

Also throw out the q did we ever see the best of fish after his early knee injury?

Rioli and Lovett without question. 

IMO Dean at his best and on song was a better player than James Hird at his best.

With Lovett we didn't get to see his best as often as we all probably would have liked but he was also a rare talent. 

One of the very fastest in the comp with pinpoint disposal at top speed, capable of making almost anyone look silly and all the tricks to boot (as opposed to in the boot....) 

If we had him in the side now at full flight we would be a genuine top 4 side. 

Who was the guy who debuted against North Melbourne at Arden St back in the Glendinning/Greig era and bagged 4 or 5 goals in his first quarter, then got no more goals for the game .... then drifted into obscurity?

Who was the guy who debuted against North Melbourne at Arden St back in the Glendinning/Greig era and bagged 4 or 5 goals in his first quarter, then got no more goals for the game .... then drifted into obscurity?

Not sure who that was.... but I clearly remember a young guy called Nick Walsh kicking 8 goals in a Panasonic Cup game (nightime pre-season cup) in the late 80's.

Played a couple of games in the season proper, did nothing and was finished.

For start

Dean Rioli is the biggest sad story, could have been one of the greats.

Jason Laycock, just because you never know what he could have been without the injuries.

Rama, we were robbed of a genuine midfielder, who’s development suggested his proem would be something to behold.

Jason Winderlich, IMHO would have been up there with Judd and Ablett as one of the most dominating explosive midfielders of the modern era. You just can’t imagine how good he could have been!

James Hird, just imagine if the injuries didn’t happen?

Jack Mihocek :lol:

1 Like

Enrico Misso, a Sri Lankan, who spent a couple of years in Essendon’s reserves before going to St Kilda and carving out a one game career.