Short careers...which ones do you think about?

Talk to Jason today and he will tell you he didn’t train hard enough, or take it seriously enough. Hugely talented player who never got where he should have. Still a massive Bombers man though.

10 Likes

He was around when I used to go out to training at Latrobe Uni. No muscle definition at all…ditto Jay Neagle.

Allegedly spent a lot of his time at that pub out at Airport West Shoppingtown, punting on the gee-gees.

1 Like

The first, and only, ever thread I have started on blitz through my decade long tenure here was back in 2008/9 describing how Jason Laycock would be the next Matthew Lloyd and lead our forwardline.

I was 15. Good times.

7 Likes

i used to love making the wheres the team threads.

1 Like

David Burke 5 goals on debut vs North Melbourne in 1980. Played the next week, then once more that season and that was it for his career.

He had natural talent and he thought it was enough. He could have been anything that bloke.

1 Like

Agree, Atkinson was more than handy. Always wondered what went wrong for him, thought he could have had a very good career in the red and black

didn’t Neagle and Atkinson miss training? or came back in poor shape and Hird cut them when he arrived?

1 Like

Atkinson was in a way a bit like Edwards. Lots of talent, but for some reason never really stood up.

Should have been a poll.

Yup. Both came to preseason fat and were basically never seen again under Hirds tenure.

Mick Werner.

I recall Cranners kicking a goal with a 55 meter torp on the run at Princes Park one day. Absolute pearler but about the only highlight of a crap day against the blue scumbags.

2 Likes

Ronnie Andrews knee injury did not help him

1 Like

Willie dick.

Absolutely loved him in 92, think he went back to the NT?

Dwayne (Duncan?) Armstrong.

The American with one reserves career game and handball. Never heard a cheer at the g like it.

Scott gumbleton.

Still rate him higher than gibbs

1 Like

Also a brilliant goal against west coast one time

I was there that day too. A simply spectacular goal!

1 Like

I used to like @willie_dick too. Until he made that disturbance post in about January 2013

2 Likes

He had lots of reserves games, not just one.

He had about one game where he was useful: in that one, he started at centre bounces and his sole job was to clear a path for Danny Morgan to rove. Did very well, but the experiment was not repeated.

1 Like

Yes agree
Ronnie was not fast but that ACL made him a slower just as he was about to peak.
Still a favourite- always played with great heart

2 Likes