Skiing in Norway

Anyone been? Tips would be appreciated.

We don’t tip in Australia. And I don’t think they do in Norway either.

Digs is going global!

Digs is going gloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobal!

Fixed

Digs is going global!
Mrs diggers wants to see the Aurora Borealis. She's very keen on it.

If you tipped in Norway you’d need a 2nd and 3rd mortgage on your house just to go for a meal. Fantastic place (Oslo and Bergen are just fantastic cities) but MY GOD is it expensive!!!

If you tipped in Norway you’d need a 2nd and 3rd mortgage on your house just to go for a meal. Fantastic place (Oslo and Bergen are just fantastic cities) but MY GOD is it expensive!!!

Did you ski?

Did you ski?

No, was there in June (i.e. summer). I know skiing as a sport is cheaper is Europe as a whole than Australia, but I’d imagine the expense of Norway in general coupled with the exchange rate would make it fiendishly expensive.

Did you ski?

No, was there in June (i.e. summer). I know skiing as a sport is cheaper is Europe as a whole than Australia, but I’d imagine the expense of Norway in general coupled with the exchange rate would make it fiendishly expensive.

Actually I take that back. If you consider Hemsedal (considered to be one of the best resorts), a daypass is only 48 EUR (67 bucks), which is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than in Oz. Accommodation, eating out, drinking and day to day living will still hurt though…

Did you ski?

Actually I take that back. If you consider Hemsedal (considered to be one of the best resorts), a daypass is only 48 EUR (67 bucks), which is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than in Oz. Accommodation, eating out, drinking and day to day living will still hurt though…

Thanks. First hand experience is the most valuable.

Can you af-fjord it, Diggers?

What time of year do you want to go and how far north?

If they still have those State-owned liquor stores , take the duty free to the max, even if you are a teetotaller, it is a good way to make friends with the natives.
Once when I went to visit friends ( in the summer) there was a strike at the stores and was asked to bring as much as I could carry and they would refund me the excise duty. However, empathetic customs did not charge me. Nice people the Nordics.

What time of year do you want to go and how far north?
Looking at heading over in January 2018 and far enough north to ski + see the aurora.

There is great skiing/boarding around Lillehammer. I think they have merged all the resorts into one pass now. I went to Narvik and Svolvaer to chase the lights in January. The higher you go the greater the chance of clear weather but it’s very cold. If you stay close to the coast you get the benefit of the Gulf Stream. Head inland and its really cold. Even skiing in those temps is unpleasant.

I haven’t been to Oslo, but didn’t find Bergen overly expensive. We stayed in an apartment so cooked at home, supermarket pricing was similar to that of Rome.

There is great skiing/boarding around Lillehammer. I think they have merged all the resorts into one pass now. I went to Narvik and Svolvaer to chase the lights in January. The higher you go the greater the chance of clear weather but it's very cold. If you stay close to the coast you get the benefit of the Gulf Stream. Head inland and its really cold. Even skiing in those temps is unpleasant.

January just past?

@Diggers 2014

I haven’t been to Oslo, but didn’t find Bergen overly expensive. We stayed in an apartment so cooked at home, supermarket pricing was similar to that of Rome.

We used AirBNB all throughout Scandinavia, so were always staying in apartments. As a general rule of thumb, Finland < Sweden < Denmark < Norway in terms of least to most expensive.

For grocery shopping we (two of us) regularly dropped well over a hundred bucks catering for only a 2 - 3 day stay, and we certainly weren’t buying anything particularly extravagant. So-called “luxury items” are definitely a killer in Scandy e.g:
6 or 7 bucks for a can of regulation beer (i.e. not boutique),
15+ bucks for a pint at a bar.
Around 7 - 8 bucks for a cup of coffee.
10+ bucks for a 500 gram pat of mincemeat.

Any time we ate out, a meal of standard pub grub (e.g. 2 x parmas or pizzas or similar, a couple of beers) the bill was equivalent to 100+ bucks.

On the positive side, fruit & veg wasn’t all that expensive (especially berries which were cheap & good!)

It’s funny how beer is the world’s universal pricing point.