So... should we mock those who wouldn't make plans for September?

Lone person at the back of the room stands up, and starts slow clap

You are right (kind of) that supporters consciously hope that the team wins.

But research has proven that when people express anger, frustration and resentment by insulting or abusing others, the subconscious brain seeks to be proven right. Itā€™s part of the ego.

So yes, some people will be hoping the club and/or players fail. Even myself, after the Brisbane game, was seeking to be proven right that the team is not up to it. I needed to pull myself upā€¦ Why do you think we have the Lid on thread? Itā€™s for all the discontent people to prove they have been justified in abusing players.

3 Likes

Itā€™s just people not being able to deal maturely and healthily with the realities of sport and life in general. Winning sport is extremely low on the scale of whatā€™s important in life. If you get that balance wrong, you probably get a lot more wrong also.

1 Like

For some its win = happy, lose = sad.
For others its win = happy, lose = angry.

As well, sad doesnā€™t really need so much of an outlet. Angry needs someone to blame.

3 Likes

In answer to the question, no. It is possible the Brisbane loss had such a profound effect on the club that itā€™s inadvertently generated the impetus to carry the team to finals.

I sense a steely resolve from the team as they brace themselves for the North game. It feels like theyā€™re up for the challenge over the next 6 weeks. They consider themselves a finals team and the onus is on them to deliver. I reckon they will

7 Likes

Pretty accurate article on how it feels to be an Essendon supporter looking at the next 6 weeks :sweat_smile:

http://www.hashtagfooty.com.au/essendon-bombers/content/essendons-run-home-a-study-in-unrelenting-pessimism

Favourite part:

Hereā€™s the scene: The Bombers are 11-10, but with their good percentage a win will put them into 8th spot. Coming up against a depleted Fremantle, they find themselves 35 points up with 11 minutes left in the last quarter. What do you think happens next?

• They slow the game down to preserve players and win by 27 points
  • They put the Dockers to the sword and run out 63-point winners
  • The Dockers pull to within 13 points before Essendon steady and win by 19 points
  • Fremantle pile on six goals to nothing, winning after the siren thanks to a 55-metre spiral from Nick Suban. Essendon crash out of the top 8, St Kilda take their spot in the 8 and go on a fairytale run to the Grand Final

If you think D) is the most likely scenario, congratulations! You are either an Essendon supporter or showing the classic symptoms of being an Essendon supporter. If pain persists, consult your local liquor store.

22 Likes

Fantastc read, great pic to start off, all the words in between and great clip for the finish.

Thanks for posting.

Laughed just about all the way through.

2 Likes

This thread has become Ben Doolan (stockbroker) introvert vs extrovert levels of psychoanalysis bullshittery

3 Likes

As I read that, Iā€™ve pretty much said every ā€œnegative Nancyā€ comment about our upcoming games.

What a great article and also true!

3 Likes

They have inuries but also have a couple of players out suspended which doesnā€™t help them but might help us.

Win the next three North, Dogs and FCFC and we are right up their. Bury Adelaide on our home turf as retailiation for earlier in the year and we are going to scare the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of the top 8.

Whilst highly unlikely I can see us running into the finals winning every game.

3 Likes

that was brilliant.

Nailed it.

i believe we will win 5 games.

1 Like

Mark harvey saying on the wednesday footy podcast weā€™ve got going that we had training in the rain today.

Hope this has been a regular occurrence, we need to develop a wet weather game.

If they canā€™t beat North then they donā€™t deserve to make the eight, but I think they will. Thereā€™s no room for complacency any more.

Not underestimating North - it will be a tough game but I think our boys will come out on top as they are the better side.

Iā€™d say yes if we can consistently win 5 or more of the next 6 games!

Last year playing on the ball and getting the tag could well have reinvigorated his footy.

That result certainly helps

First time I have ever wanted Collingwood to win!

2 Likes