Solly sacked from Suns, soft cap usurps us

So Mendoza got me thinking back to this point in history. 2003 and I remember Blitz going spaz about Solly leaving the club for what seemed like purely a money motivated move. I, of course, contributed to the photoshops going around of Dean and some cash. I can't find the article but I do remember him being quoted the following year that he was upset because he'd seen those meme's going around (before we had the word 'meme' to describe them).

I had forgotten though that he had actually quit the club, then rejoined, for mateship and less money. 2004 ended up being his best year. Hmm...

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/15/1065917479443.html?from=storyrhs

Solomon to stay a Bomber for mate

By Peter Ker
October 16, 2003

Mateship prompted Dean Solomon, right, to stay a Don. 
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

A lasting bond with cancer-stricken teammate Adam Ramanauskas was a major factor in convincing Dean Solomon to remain at Windy Hill for next season and beyond, according to Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson.

Despite "officially" quitting the Bombers last Thursday in what Solomon described as "the hardest decision of my life", the 23-year-old told his manager Michael Quinlan on Tuesday night that he had changed his mind and wanted to remain at Essendon despite a lucrative offer from Richmond.

Jackson said Solomon's decision to take mateship over money marked a good day for football.

"He has made some very good friends here, there's a very close bond obviously with 'Rama', so I guess he would want to see that through," he said.

"I wouldn't underestimate the importance of 'Rama' in this whole thing. 'Rama' has three or four very close friends here and Dean is one of them. 

"I think 'Rama' would be absolutely delighted with this announcement today."

Quinlan confirmed last night that Ramanauskas's presence at Essendon had weighed on Solomon's mind.

Solomon's new three-year deal with the Bombers is a year shorter and worth about $100,000 a year less than the deal offered by Richmond.

Jackson said the Bombers had not improved their offer to Solomon since late last week.

"It's a big gap between what he was offered (at Richmond)," he said. "A young player has made his own decision to turn his back on a very lucrative offer and stay at the club and play with his mates. I think that's a good day for football.

Ruckman David Hille also agreed to a new two-year deal yesterday, while midfielder Mark McVeigh has signed for one year.

With those players and youngster Andrew Welsh all re-signed, and Mark Bolton linked with Hawthorn in a complex trade deal, the Bombers will now try to complete a deal for defender Danny Jacobs.

Jacobs has been courted by rival clubs, but Jackson said the signing of Solomon should not have an impact on the club's financial ability to secure a new deal for Jacobs.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/08/1076175032699.html?from=storyrhs

Solomon's gut feeling the spur to stay a Don

By Stephen Rielly
February 9, 2004

Dean Solomon has spoken for the first time of his days in London last October during which he made the decision to leave Essendon for Richmond, only to return at the 11th hour.

Solomon has remained coy on his flirtation with the Tigers, who very nearly wooed him with a four-year deal worth almost $400,000 a season.

But, in an interview to be serialised on Essendon's website, essendonfc.com.au, from today, the 2000 premiership flanker reveals that he feared he would not be able to return to Windy Hill, thinking that he had disappointed the club, particularly coach Kevin Sheedy, with his initial decision.

Solomon also says it was a persistent nausea and a sense of physical illness that convinced him his choice to leave was not the right one.

On the evening of October 15, almost a week after announcing his departure, Solomon spoke with Sheedy and confirmed he was intent on leaving.

"I hung up the phone and went down to a (London) restaurant and sat there for about two hours just feeling sick in the stomach," Solomon says. "About three or four hours later, I still wasn't feeling much better and I thought, 'This can't be right if I am feeling like this.' I thought about ringing Sheeds back but it was about 3am back in Australia.

"There was about an 11-hour window where I had let go and, as the saying goes, you don't know what you've got until it is gone."

Essendon and Richmond both sensed Solomon was vulnerable. Essendon players, particularly close friend Adam Ramanauskas, called repeatedly, while Richmond football director Greg Miller went to the trouble of flying to London to speak with him.

Ultimately, though, Solomon says he listened to his body and made an intuitive decision.

"The way I felt, I just knew it was the wrong call . . . I rang Sheeds early the next morning and said, 'If it is not too late, I would like to stay', and he was really pleased.

"I sat back and felt better instantly . . . that confirmed to me that it was the right thing to do."

Years later when we traded him, we were compensated with picks that netted us Houli and Reimers. Thanks, Solly.

1 Like

My favourite player for a long time

1 Like

I don't think I was on here at the time, I think I was only on Bombertalk but people were using $olomon or Dollarmon.

Anyone still have the photoshops?

One of his best games - the one where he pantsed Matty Richardson despite being significantly outsized, probably stopped him from becoming the player he could have been.  Post that game Sheeds told him to pack on 500kg's of muscle and tried to turn him into a CHB.  

Have a look at how awesome he was in 2000 when he didn't have so much weight on him.  

1 Like

worked for zantuck

One of his best games - the one where he pantsed Matty Richardson despite being significantly outsized, probably stopped him from becoming the player he could have been. Post that game Sheeds told him to pack on 500kg's of muscle and tried to turn him into a CHB.
Have a look at how awesome he was in 2000 when he didn't have so much weight on him.

Was that the 2001 final where Lloyd got suspended?

One of his best games - the one where he pantsed Matty Richardson despite being significantly outsized, probably stopped him from becoming the player he could have been. Post that game Sheeds told him to pack on 500kg's of muscle and tried to turn him into a CHB.

Was that the 2001 final where Lloyd got suspended?

Yep.

Him, Fletch and Wellman rotated on Richo, Ottens and I think B. Holland (?). Everyone that week was talking about how will Essendon stop Richmonds 3 tall forwards, blah blah blah (they beat us the week before when we laid down).

Richmond kicked 5 goals for the match, and between the three of them they only kicked 2 (Richo)

Had a silly haircut there for a bit.

What prompted the move to Freo? Same with Mark Johnson, had completely forgot they had left until this triggered the memory

What prompted the move to Freo? Same with Mark Johnson, had completely forgot they had left until this triggered the memory

They were pushed

Solomon use to give away stupid free kick after stupid free kick. Annoyed the hell out me, I wasn't that upset when he left.

Has just been finished up at the Suns.

If we can squeeze him in under the soft cap, is he worth a look?

If he can help sort out the soft ■■■■■ on our list then I’m all for it. Loved Solly as a player, his 2000 Finals series was underrated.

6 Likes

I’d wonder if we are going to see a few more coaches doing it for the love of it.

Occurs to me that might be the way in for a young/inexperienced coach to gain some experience. Not sure if there are rules around this though.

Why do people think that tough players immediately translate to tough coaches?

John Worsfold was one of the toughest players I have ever seen, yet it translates to nothing as a coach.

8 Likes

Is that even after Worsfold leaves?

1 Like

If worsfold was trying I can’t see anyone else having an impact on this group of lily pickers.

I’m intrigued.

Did you get this news, then go looking for this thread (knowing there was one) to post this?

Who would know to look for a solly thread from 6 years ago?

Used the search option and found it.

Yet another day working from home… I have a little time on my hands

3 Likes

Give him the VFL team next year. Has great reputation for development