Something doesn’t add up

Yeah I did deliberately exclude rookies

I’ll take your point, it seems reasonable. It doesn’t sound deliberate but maybe there is some unconscious bias.

I hope Sheedy is having a deep look at this and will advise the recruiting team. But behind closed doors is a probably where we need it to be for now. If she’d feels it’s necessary he will make a quiet jibe about it in a presser down the track.

Just looking at the wins doesn’t accurately portrait what we are talking about. This issue seems to be more common in the later draft and rookie, where we have had a lot of misses. For example I remember us picking up a guy called Bryce Caroll the pick before Jeff Garlett, when we had Tayte Silverlock when everyone said the best available small mid/forward was Ed Curnow

Sheedy already did that recently, he holds no sway now that why he spoke about the drop off in front all off the people at the bnf

2 Likes

also gartlett like people said, he didn’t give his best when he tried out for us, and then failed at the hawks.
shaun edwards
Eades

etc etc.

It’s nothing new. That adelaide recruiter who got the sack for being racist predicted this, how many years ago ?

Like it or not, most clubs are a business now and it’s more down to risk v reward.
also again like it or not, aboriginal kids have a higher risk rating. you can ■■■■■ and moan about it all you like, but it’s a fact.

If anything Tippa’s path probably works against what you’re trying to argue, as the club pretty much made him prove he wanted it, but making him go through all the hoops to get there.
and it’ll prolly become more of a blueprint for indigenous players going forward, right or wrong.

but again it’s all irrelevant. you can sit there and try and argue how unfair it is, or racist it is like you always do, of you can try and figure out ways in which to help your boys assimulate to the changing afl landscape.
Cos sitting there claiming mild racism ain’t going to change a thing.

As I asked @Benfti earlier can these numbers actually be posted. For example my review of the AFLPA Indigenous player map shows Sydney of having only 2 players on their 2017 - Buddy and Shaun Edwards who is now no longer there.

Just want to see the facts of how far behind we supposedly are.

That recruiter who got the sack now works at Collingwood

I’ll never understand how it was less risk to pass, than it was to take a guy who was playing SANFL seniors.

FFS,

Sorry, I have been pre occupied. I will get to that, that map wasn’t entirely accurate btw they missed a good 15 players.

SYDNEY are definitely one of the worst performing clubs in this area over the last 10 years but they still doubled our drafted numbers in over that period

There numbers are definitely unintentional bias though and they are fully aware of it even though their commitment to zones which have a very small indigenous population effect their draft pick numbers. Their academy has 3 lads in it who hane herritage but we are not counting those guys

1 Like

Ben, you stated that we were an outlier in terms of % of drafting indigenous players. I get the feeling you put that list together (which is great). Would you mind posting the full list?

@Benny40 said it really well above, I couldn’t have put it any better. I think there’s certainly a possibility that we have an issue here and I think this thread is a great discussion on it.

Of course you want us to draft the best player, and not ‘gift’ spots to indigenous players. But if we are indeed last (and well last) in the league for drafting indigenous players then I’m not happy with that and I think most reasonable ess supporters shouldn’t be happy with it either.

6 Likes

The club just needs to come up with a hashtag that makes it seem like everything is okay and the problem will be solved… #indigiYESS #neverendingcomebackstory

1 Like

the list of all the indigenous players in the afl? Or every clubs drafting over the last 10 years?

The 10 year one is MASSIVE

The one you were talking about earlier with the percentage of indigenous players drafted by clubs.

Not the full list of which players, just the percentages for each club, where you said we were an outlier

What I might do is show how we performed over the 10 year period vs the next 2 worst clubs that will still take some time.

Or if you give me a couple of days I will find a way to compile the findings into an extract.

Rather than look at data from one year in isolation it’s really interesting to look at the whole thing

Didn’t you refer to a percentage thing earlier where the average was 10 and every other club was within 2% either side apart from us? That’s the simple list I want to see - clubs and percentages.

1 Like

sure.

I actually did this research for a uni paper I wrote on how sport is the best tool for indigenous engagement. Showing how indigenous people in professional sport always exceeds % to population, and how AFL leads the way amongst professional sport. I even have NRL data.

I will take extracts from all of it and share, give me a day or 2

1 Like

Yeah that one. How much data do you want?

Just each clubs percentage, or total numbers?

Each club: so all I want to see is

Carl xx%
Port xx%
Ess xx%

etc for all 18 clubs

True. But the colour of their skin makes no difference to that, we have drafted some horrible footballers with better players picked later.