Something doesn’t add up

I’m talking about the Essendon and Tiwi connection.

You would be rewriting history if you said McDonald was from Melville

Are the AFL giving the kangaroos access to Tasmania juniors? If so surely we can argue that with our connection?

If I were in GC position take both Kings.

2 Likes

That’s disingenuous.

Wanganeen and CCC went back of their own accord when Port started up. I spoke with Che at a visit to Windy Hill the previous year and he more or less said he wanted to go back to Adelaide then.

Derek Kickett famously wanted out after being left out of the 93 GF.

Sheeds did not initiate trading out any of these players.

The point was that at the time these players were recruited to the club, Freo and Port weren’t in the league.
They are now.

It’s a point, I’m not sure it’s relevance.

We still had the means to make/keep ourselves a preferred destination? For a little bit we seemed to almost actively go for vanilla types, and now we’re just not fussed one way or the other.

Granted, some guys want to go back to their home state.
Plenty more don’t.

Okay, I’ll break it down some more.
It’s great that we recruited so many indigenous players in the late eighties/early nineties, but it’s silly to compare that to the last decade.
Several players did not have the opportunity to play AFL/VFL based near their home at the time, and as soon as that opportunity arose they took it.

Sure. And that’s a thing. I just don’t think it’s that big a part of the picture.

No other Vic clubs have seemed to have been struck by this. Chance Bateman was something like Hawthorn’s 3rd indigenous player - ever. He debuted in 2002.

Collingwood weren’t much different.

Those clubs have gone one way.

We’ve gone the other.

That’s a thing.

Nothing has ended. You advocate for a good cause, but your constant hyperbole doesn’t do your argument any favours

3 Likes

Adds up now??

2 Likes

Bit of sting in the tail?

Yessir

4 Likes

Pick 34 + Essendon = Mosquito

2 Likes

I’m a lot happier with the equation.

I didn’t expect to be yelling with excitement when I heard our top draft pick!

My wife and I lived and worked with families in Halls Creek for 3 years, so very happy to see Irving on our list.

It is a huge deal for Halls Creek people to leave their part of the world, even Perth is a world away for them.

13 Likes

Watching West Coast tonight and seeing Cameron, Rioli, Ryan and Jetta tear the game apart.

I’m not sure about this misconception that indigenous kids have trouble adjusting to AFL team structures.

4 Likes

the trouble is we have a coach who plays selections safe…mozzie would be no different to cameron…

Maybe Cameron is fit enough to play a full AFL game. Maybe that’s the difference

2 Likes

well moz only broke down in the last few weeks…same as draper he should have got a game before doing his knee

To be fair, you have to feel sorry for the white kids who have been ‘unfairly’ kept out of the side because West Coast are playing favourites with indigenous blokes.

3 Likes

I’m not so sure. He’s an exciting player but from the VFL games I saw, he still struggles to play out a whole game. I’d hate to rush him into seniors before he’s ready.

1 Like