Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019)

We never looked the same after stringer went down in the pies game. The following week we made hard work of a very ordinary roos side. Then got belted by Footscray, made very hard work of the crows (really should have lost) and then got shredded by Brisbane.

We had some moments of competitiveness, a quarter against gws, bits and pieces against gc, Eagles tigers, but really I struggle to point to one compelling 4 quarter display for the entire year. Even the pies game we missed half the first and half the last.

Don’t kid yourself into thinking the umps ruined our year. Nothing could be further from the truth.

5 Likes

It’s a measure of your toughness haven’t you read :slight_smile:

If we got to the ball first, hit our targets umpires would be a non factor…one can only hope

3 Likes

Bunch of relatively new and usually quiet posters telling us all to recommit to the club?

Membership department must have a bit of free time

30 Likes

Hope you’re happy with mediocrity then

1 Like

I guess I should clarify that I’m excited by this year as it is a forced rebuild rather than additions like last few years. I want them to pass on joe, move on others and get some youth into the team.

I think we made progress this year, and I’m usually a staunch critic. But the issue is we expect top 8 every year cause our dipshit leaders like Campbell insinuate that.
Shouldve just told us all that we are building for 2 to 3 years

2 Likes

:joy: you think we are going to rebuild

We are going to bring in Jasper Shittard and Brad Crouch and you’re going to love it.

1 Like

ironically apt name I reckon, he’s definitely suffering from that syndrome :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Missed these, I’m not following these threads very closely ATM, burnt out.

2 Likes
1 Like

I liked all of it up until “Daniher, Fantasia & Saad all more likely to leave than stay”.

4 Likes

Leading into the 150 year celebrations … SURE we’ll have a rebuild

2 Likes

The team played the whole season like they don’t give a ■■■■. Bar a couple of gems. Why should we present to games if they can’t be bothered doing so, dispute being given half a million dollars a year to entice them?

1 Like

I don’t have an opinion on any of the who’s leaving stuff.
Maybe they will, maybe they won’t.
What I do have an opinion on is whether the football media has a vested interest in creating the impression that the trade period will be very active.

4 Likes

I’m a 27 yr member with seats but for next year I reckon at best I’ll downgrade a level.

Kids used to come with me but our ineptness has seen there interest levels evaporate. They don’t believe me when I tell them we used to be great.

The club is in big trouble next yr if the members aren’t given some hope that we’re building again and if the pandemic isn’t under control and we still can’t go, why would anyone questioning a membership purchase join up?

5 Likes

Very true. I’m not quite sure that’s Lloyd’s MO and he was talking as though he had some inside intel, but who knows.

1 Like

Many of us sensed exactly that. The club can continuing denying as much as it likes, the damaged cannot be undone. And as Bomber Thompson and others have said, until the last person leaves who was associated with the supplements saga leaves the club, the aura will remain no matter how much covering up and wallpapering over the cracks is done.

Thanks Marty Gleeson many of us had an inkling.

It’s rebuild or more of the same unfortunately. If there are a group of players that are so sensitive that they can’t hack being criticised then move them on. If the culture of the club has to change then they have to start with a new generation of players and a new mindset. Unfortunately this will not be a quick fix :slightly_frowning_face: And furthermore is Rutten the right man for the job? Not clear to me that he is.

2 Likes

Lah, lah,lalalalalala just because he said, doesn’t mean it will happen.

Absolutely they do but i don’t think Lloydy falls into that category.

He isn’t really that sort of media guy who sensationalizes stuff for the clicks imo although he is happy enough to make big statements.

I will also fess up to being pretty biased when it comes to him so maybe i am off the mark.