Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019)

Pick the best 22 players in the league… put them in Essendon Jumpers, and they’d turn to water.

I’m not even joking.

5 Likes

I’ve said it before.
Should be a team rule.
I’m not and never will be and should never be an AFL coach, but it would be the first team rule I’d bring in.
Goals are hard to get.
The whole idea of footy is to kick more goals than the team you’re playing against.
If you have a set shot within 30m, I’d make it 40m personally, but by gosh 30m as a minimum…you take the shot.
Every time.
No exceptions.

9 Likes

All of the people you mentioned are the problem including development

For X it is the saga that made him what he is. Club was in a terrible position and we need to stabilise the finances in order to survive and then rebuild them. He did a good job. But that is what he is good at, the rest no so much. By the rest I mean build a winning team.

1 Like

Rohan Connelly pointed the finger at the Coteries… saying that they pretty much run the club, and They have fingers in the pie right across the club.

People got very nasty about this comment.

2 Likes

Makes two of us! Only got one text as it assumed that we are crap now!

2 Likes

we have some coterie members around here who defend them to the hilt.

You’re not understanding what I’m saying mate.

Yes they are all problems.

But do you think that they were all independently sh/t? That it’s a coincidence that they are all rubbish? That it’s a coincidence that we haven’t developed a superstar player out of the draft probably since James Hird? That great players come in from other clubs and after 6 months look like lethargic plodders?

None of this is a coincidence! It’s a cultural issue that is causing ALL OF IT.

7 Likes

I think that’s a very very very large part of it.

1 Like

Spot on Rustydon. I keep stats on our mob year to year. Ignoring GWS and GCS because they joined later (2012 and 2011); a ladder from 2005 to round 15 2020 shows how bad wer are: only ahead of Brisbane, Carlton and Melbourne. And Brisbane had the joy of a 3 on the run.

1 Like

I disagree with your last point, obviously, or I wouldn’t have said it.

The old will not die and the young cannot yet be born.
Whatever the silly old quote is.

I honestly believe mediocrity ( and the acceptance of it) infested the club so slowly, that nobody at the club noticed it until it became too late.

There is no quick fix, the only solution is to rip everything down and starting again.

The club needs a fresh start from the top down down.

5 Likes

We have a Chairman who doesn’t even talk to the members.

Most of the information that comes from him, is from Coterie luncheons.

3 Likes

Donate to the flight plan.

2 Likes

I’m always amazed that people put knights as the worst of the coaches when you had the hird appointment which was the biggest disaster in australian sporting history and worsfold who has been 5 years of absolute garbage with a 10x better list. At least knights won some exciting games, had a young side and had to follow on from a decades long coach, he was on a hiding to nothing. Not even a contest for mine they were all ■■■■ appointments and rutten will likely go the same way because the club refuses to go through a proper recruitment process.

3 Likes

We’ve become less of a football club and more of a soulless corporation. Winning became less important than the bottom line. In hindsight, the red flag should have gone up when we moved our games from the MCG to soulless stadium.

12 Likes

Your advice should have been heeded last year, because now it looks like two, maybe three, of them have since been Essingtoned.

We’ve just become too accustomed to copping ■■■■ and too tolerant of mediocrity.

2 Likes

Marketing FC

2 Likes

The impact of the saga has still not be dealt with.

I think the only time post Sheedy that the club had any sort of comparable culture, desire or appetite for winning a premiership was with Hird.

I’m not saying he needs to be brought back, or he didn’t make mistakes, but in terms of going into games, I had some confidence we would produce an effort that was respectable.

21 Likes