Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019)

clearly they were thinking of all the tragics who actually pay money year after year to watch them do something they don’t seem to particularly like, and aren’t even any good at.

1 Like

More attempting to be Richmond - get Jack Higgins out into our huddle to crack a gag boys!

3 Likes

Elaborate please

In a nutshell ‘the desire to win a game of footy isn’t there’. How did this come to pass?

1 Like

“can you believe the blitz match day thread right now fellas hahahahahaha shaka shaka yeah we’ll bounce back cobbers”

3 Likes

I thought he was a terrible choice. I thought he was a terrible choice then, I still think he’s a terrible choice. Way too long out of the game and a record of presiding over one of the most drugged up teams ever.

1 Like

yes. I do. so does rohan connolly?

2 Likes

I wish Heppell would leave. He’s half the footballer he was in his debut year with the personality of a laid back surfer on weed. The worst captain in the league.

6 Likes

I haven’t heard this, what have you heard?

Let’s hope he comes back, he seems to be ignoring PM’s too. lol

Pretty much this. And it started way back. We chased “professionalism” and actually moved away from what a footy club needed to be.

We’re very similar to Nottingham Forest. Brian Clough took us from nowhere to a super power of European Footy. Once he departed, we’ve slid back to mediocre and lived on past glories .

That’s Essendon. Maybe this actually is Essendons level, elevated by a one-off figure far above it’s norm. Sheed’s time had come, but I’d argue that we haven’t got one coaching appointment correct in the years since. Maybe one - Worsfold in his first year was probably the perfect choice given the Saga outcome , but not since then. And the Admin priorities have seemed totally amiss.

12 Likes

The Williamstown VFL club are better than us and they’re broke as well as staggering distance from my home. I hope to help next year by giving them my money which gets me free half time spring rolls and dimmies along with cut price beer. Go Seagulls!

5 Likes

But we’re a young team… even though we sit about mid table.

1 Like

As a life long supporter l am gutted. We need some leadership. Not angry words, but a statement stating that things need to and will change. We have to many good players not performing.

6 Likes

We aren’t mid table. We barely scrape wins against the bottom 2 sides and get absolutely smashed by the top teams. Our percentage is horrific. We are bottom 4, bottom 6 at best.

7 Likes

People will defend Heppell for trying to bring a bit of levity to a horrible situation but I cant understand on any level how thats good leadership.

If he’s making a joke then when the clubs on its knees like it is then thats in very poor taste.

And if it is somebody else joking then he needs to pull their heads in and rip them a new ar$ehole.

It feels like the only people involved with the club that are visibly upset are the supporters.

7 Likes

The Saga players had absolutely gold plated legal reasons why they could have sued the club for negligence. The club knew this.

In respect of the current players, I was told years ago that the current players agreed to drop their claims against the club in exchange for the following:

• new contracts for each player.
  • that each of those players, apart from in exceptional circumstances, would be selected in the seniors in each match in which they were available for selection (hence the long term selection of Zak, Bellcho, as well as Myers dropping himself)
  • that the club would select sides for games, and trade for players, that would give the saga players the best chance of immediate success (ie a sugar hit, as opposed to a strategy aimed at long term success in a year in which they would be long retired).

Some at the club argued against such an approach, but in the end it was decided that the best way to save the club from being bankrupted by its own players was to do the deal.

Is all of this true? I don’t know. I don’t have any inside sources, but I’ve been told that it is true by several people who are better connected than me.

11 Likes

I do, and plenty of Cats fans used to hang ■■■■ on me…It’s been a very long time since they have. It would be a lot nicer if they weren’t winning games of footy every other week.

1 Like

I don’t blame the players for making those claims.

Club should never have allowed it to get to CAS.

2 Likes

Joe Dan to me is an example of one of the problems. Not him personally but the way he has been feted, put on a pedestal, lauded as the next best thing and the saviour. No wonder he ended up as a lair. The day I saw him sitting up on the stage with his uncles answering questions I thought you have to be kidding me. These guys are champions club champions, club captains, premiership winners, and he had done practically nothing at that stage.
That to me is indicative of a problem with the club.
Don’t have to earn your stripes, they just get given to some people.
What sort of message does that send?
Then when he gets injured it’s mismanaged.
Then he’s a FF who can’t kick straight. Does he have to work with a kicking coach? No he’s going to fix it himself.
Does the club ever play hardball say ■■■■ we’ve got a lot of money invested in this guy, he’s going to work with a kicking coach whether he likes it or not?
I have no idea but I would assume not… because you know… he’s going to be a star anyway.
To me that’s just one example of one of the many problems with the club.
Needs a clean out from top to bottom.
Everyone from top to bottom needs to set an example of excellence.
Our culture is clearly poor.
I don’t know how to fix it, didn’t know how to fix it when I started this thread, but nothing has changed and nothing will change until the broom goes through from the top down imho.

13 Likes