Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019)

I think whats changed about footy is tactics.

Gone are the days when you can recruit top players and wallpaper cracks.

We would be 18th on ladder for tactics no doubt.

And our tactics are depresding to watch.

FFS the players look depressed about it too.

I’m depressed by that.

No one follows footy for that.

2 Likes

I’m having a very hard time remaining interested, I’ll be honest.

It wasn’t last night… it was the entire week. Smith and Joe go down for the year a few days apart and I’m pretty much expecting nothing from here on out. And the games themselves just seem to play out all the same formula. I don’t feel any sense of excitement, urgency, or innovation in anything I watch.

Essendon’s a boring, bland mess of mediocrity that looks like nothing resembling a contender and it feels like it’s been stuck in the mud for 15 years.

20 Likes

How can Stealthy see this from thousands of miles away, but our board, management, coaching and fitness staff all remain totally oblivious.

3 Likes

Got me beat.

yep. despite the odds last night (think we were paying about 2.50) we all just knew that was exactly how the game would pan out. it was essendon in a nutshell last night.

We tried last night but little things are symbolic of why we lose games we should win or do better in.

Hooker shoving that bloke over and giving up a goal on a night when goals are so hard to come by. That ends up being worth 2 goals. From a leader.

A ruthless successful club would have been furious with him. He.should have been dragged and then he should have done everything he could to make up for that.

The mouthing off by Smith and the 100 metre penalty and goal took us from a position of ascendancy and urinated it up against the wall, dumbly we brought the Swans back into the match. In terms of the flow of momentum it ends up being a game killer.

Sportsmen who want to win know the critical moments when to be discliplined and ruthlessly go for the kill.

Dumb acts like that actually cost you confidence and give confidence to your opponent.

Francis’ lack of urgency when a goal to Tippa beckoned.

Simple winner mentality versus loser mentality.

Clarkson, Longmire or C Scott would go beserk in the box if Hooker did what he did.

4 Likes

Bit harsh on Hooker.

He like most of us probably thought that was a free to TBell after a cheap shot from Lynch.

He was just defending his mate and the stupid umpire decided it was the perfect opportunity to penalise Essendon and make it look like a legitimate free.

11 Likes

Well if Richmond had given us 3 frees from the goal line it would have been nice.

But they didnt.

But we did and we dont even seem to give a ■■■■ because like a ■■■■ tennis player who cant hold their ■■■■ together we are bundled out of another season.

That ■■■■ is able to be worked on and controlled. But we dont care.

Those 3 goals plus the 1 Francis ■■■■■■ up and the one Begley ■■■■■■ up by not being switched on to win.

There is 5 goals the difference.

The umpires giving us frees in the backline and the opposition within scoring distance has been around since the dawn of man.

I want to see our players playing with passion and defending each other.

The free was just an unfortunate byproduct.

2 Likes

“Tactics” is a generous word.

Setting up a Rube Goldberg machine and hoping it works all the way to the end isn’t “tactics”

Depressendon

3 Likes

The board don’t need an excuse, supporters/members and finnicky.

Just in relation to there’s something wrong with this club, do we have a draft pick this year in the first round or is that out the window ?

Didn’t we trade it out for Dylan Shiel???

No first rounder this year, spent it on Shiel.

1 Like

That’s what I thought but was hoping to god I was wrong

1 Like

And here comes Carlton next week… ffs

The club is first and foremost a football club. Get rid of the poker machines and the e-sports team. Concentrate on just football, AFL, VFL and try and get a team into the AFLW.

If we then win multiple premierships we can expand our horizons and have basketball teams, netball teams and e-sport teams but until then let’s concentrate on football.

3 Likes

They need to make money from the saga fallout

Off field priority now

Nah. It’s a footy club… just ■■■■■■■ win games of footy.

4 Likes