Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019)

Lol it feels like that but it won’t be

Yep. There’s been rumblings for ages about a divide in the group, nothing major but rumblings. This was either going to bond or break them.

1 Like

Its brought it to a head that’s for sure.

Seems to have. Not winning games sucks and doesn’t help a group with fragile relationships. People are being paid big money to sort this ■■■■ out. Let’s hope they do.

1 Like

Isn’t it the Captain’s and leadership groups job to ensure that these issues don’t spiral out of control? Weak leadership!

1 Like

Why are they fragile to begin with? Is this normal within the AFL/sporting landscape? I assumed players would be drafted because the club thought they’d fit the culture well.

The leadership group which is a revolving door?

1 Like

I remember when we had the player sponsor zoom meeting with BZT. Someone asked what it was like in the hub and I remember he seemed less than enthusiastic. He said something along the lines of he was glad they’d moved (to the Noosa one) because he hadn’t really enjoyed the first one. At the time I thought he meant the facilities were better but I wonder now if it was a hint that there were problems.

1 Like

Considering half the team have been part of the leadership group, you would think someone would show some leadership!

We should have kept Hartley. Everyone loved him and he would have sorted it out. (I’m only half joking).

1 Like

Things have gone downhill ever since Heppell shaved his hair off.

1 Like

Doesn’t X get involved and chat to some of these guys ? I don’t care who does what , and what position they have , someone needs to do something. Hold an intervention , something , anything … work this bs out and get on with it.

Preferably without losing most of the list.

Easy words. Dys was hardly on the park this year and, IMO, that contributed majorly to the issues. Apart from him we simply don’t have strong onfield leaders. McGrath and Langford look the pick of the bunch and they seem to be realising their potential.

But, once again imo, this is offield, this is not the fault of the players. People are being paid a lot to sort this out. They need to get busy.

Needs all caps that one, Trump-style

Key word here is ‘holiday’…

The culture is the problem. Doesn’t matter who you bring in, if the culture isn’t right then they’re stuffed also.

It sucks to see our footy club going through this, it really really sucks. But we have to.

We’ve been papering over the cracks for years. It’s an opportunity if they’re smart to address it and fix it… if they’re not then we’re in for more of the same.

4 Likes

Someone posted on here a few days ago… saying ‘the best thing that could happen to this club, is another club bypassing us in most premierships tally’

I completely agree. Far too many people still think this club is more superior than everyone else.
They still think we are a successful club. They still think we are relevant.
They still think every kid in the play ground is wearing an Essendon jumper.
They still think every player in the comp wants to play for us.

It’s delusional.

5 Likes

I hate to say it, but look at Hawhorn’s culture.

They imprint it on every recruit. The kids have to buy in as being part of joining the club.

BTW ■■■■ Hawthorn

3 Likes

Mick is spot on, we absolutely need an external review but sadly I don’t think it’s going to happen.

What I did like hearing was that Paul Brasher is asking a lot of questions and is trying to get to the bottom of it. At least he ain’t just sitting on his ■■■■ doing nothing.

1 Like

By culture do you mean mutual respect, accountability, teamwork or something else? i hear the word bandied around but what does it mean?