Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019)

We need to remove all of those cups in the foyer of The Hangar.

Put them in storage for a long time.

2 Likes

Langford has become quite vocal too, which is good.

2 Likes

So all these years dodoro has been banging on about quality young men with leadership qualities from good families and you reckon we have 2-3 decent leaders out of a list of 44???

what an absolute shitshow Darli.

2 Likes

Its not the farking cups, they are something to aspire to FFS, its a group of ageing pampered players that were allowed to voice their opinions too much and allowed to basically do what they want.

Its the backend of the saga…entitled players that think they are bigger than the club, more important than the youngsters. We have got rid of 2 of them, 1 of the 2 the main one. Theres a few more to go…

1 Like

Ross Lyon mentioned on Footy Classified that culture is referring to the day to day operation of the club.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s sitting on his ■■■■ telling us what we know already.

1 Like
2 Likes

Redman waa similar though more vocal on struggles

2 Likes

What did Redman say?

Feel bad for him. I got stuck into him (on the board) during the game.

The idea that he was being a team player and matching up on opponents (because a team mate didn’t want to), makes me respect him a whole lot more.

I’ve been thinking this too, also makes you wonder if this effected Redmans confidence and form this year.

1 Like

I reckon Redman is an absolute ripper. He had a poor season but development is not straight up for most players. If he is injury free he will bounce back quickly.

2 Likes

Dont want to say everything but was not himself and struggling with confidence. Francis was a little bit the same. I could tell it was not as fun as you picture… gold coast/resort/footy. Something felt off. It was after consecutive bad losses saying that. Definitive shift after moving to hub and team losing consistently. Start of the year training was a really good vibe .Still confuses me a little how far it shifted and why

10 Likes

This is the type of stuff that used to happen with our playing group when Hirdy was coach. Team bbqs’ at his house.

Yes we know what happened when the proverbial hit the fan but he had a great Ability to build relationships. That’s my biggest concern because I don’t see Rutten to date as some who inspires, motivates or empathises with the players and builds connections.

He could be the most brilliant tactical going around but if he can’t build connections we are in massive trouble. He’s been there 2 years let’s not kid ourselves so I’m very worried when people say he must use the next 6 weeks getting to know people.

11 Likes

It’s interesting - some clubs have turned the Hub thing into a positive. Obviously, we haven’t. The question is why?

1 Like

The players were very restricted in what they could do. Not quite prisoners, but we know what happened when a few players from other clubs broke the rules. Hotel rooms are about 20% the size of a normal home and the players’ normal social lives and routines are taken from them. Plus the stresses of covid, and @aboods and I and @loyalandproud stalking them at training. Even when it’s open GC is a cultural wasteland compared to Melbourne. Not much fun at all when too many of the best players are in rehab and the team starts losing.

3 Likes

Gee, I think, they are already plenty of mirrors in the hangar. Sadly, the people who need to see the reflections, are not looking in that direction. Their heads are in the clouds.

1 Like

The GC has got lovely beaches and kebabs. Weather is fantastic. Waters sports mecca. These guys are footballers, hardly opera officiendos.

Some were based on the sunshine coast as well, Noosa, Maroochydoore. All in all a lovely part of the world.

Daniher isnt coming back because of it from all reports!

1 Like

From the Essendon BF forum, has anyone seen the interview?

There’s an interview floating around of Franga from about 2 years ago when he wanted to leave the club (trying to get it)

Franga refers to the older players giving the younger players a hard time and making it harder for them to fit in. He said one of the main reasons he stayed was Darcy parish.

Explains a lot tbh why the younger core want to stick together and the older ones are getting f’ed off.

6 Likes

We started losing and had a terrible run with injury, especially among out senior core.

I agree it’s a problem if this is true. You need the head coach to be a good people person. The counterpoint is that if you have line coaches building strong relationships with their players, the head coach is more connecting with the line coaches who are working 1-to-1 with their players. Line coaches even communicate with players when they are dropped - Chris Scott admitted this recently. The Head Coach sometimes stands apart a bit aloof from the entire playing group but works with the player leadership group and coaches.
If it is a weakness we need to recognise it and get good people around him and let them work to their strengths.
Every coach has strengths and weaknesses.