Something seriously wrong with the club (Part 1, May 2019)

For an unpaid gig?

1 Like

Yes? I’ve answered this already above.

There are lots of people in unpaid gigs on boards all around town you realise? Not all of them are footy clubs…

And you don’t think it aligns with their passions.

Their kids school

A charity close to their heart

Industry board.

People don’t just randomly join boards for the hell of it.

3 Likes

Ian Robson turned out to be great.

I understand what you’re saying but yes, yes they do, all over town, all the time.

I imagine the candidate would have an interest in football though, but I don’t think that interest needs to be Essendon (and in fact it would be beneficial if it wasn’t).

Yes, but a professional club wouldnt have had the saga in the first place. The saga and the way we handled it, is a symptom of all that is wrong.

5 Likes

Unfortunately Xavier is not rutheless, otherwise he might.

Essendon is s safe place where feelings don’t get hurt. Ruthlessness is not a recognized concept. We are a soft marshmellow factory

2 Likes

That does sound delicious though

Unlike Heffernan Wellman was elected.

1 Like

Less this:

More this:

4 Likes

The whole AFL is this now. Decisions are made about optics now.

I have no problem with people in the club being Essendon supporters in addition to their actual qualifications for the role.

There are sooo many Essendon supporters out there, I’m sure there are enough suitable ones to join the board.

2 Likes

Love all the advocating for putting a broom through the place.

Has anyone got a list of phone numbers of top shelf football administrators currently without comfortable high paying jobs that are sitting around waiting for a call?

1 Like

Yes he was. But let’s be honest. Any past player could run on a platform of ‘I’m going to sacrifice your first born to the footy gods’ and they would be elected. It’s a huge part of our problems.

1 Like

Essendon has become a boys club for past players. How else can you explain guys like Wellman on the board and a utter failure of a coach in Harvey still being at the club

I will be really happy if the boys win next week.

2 Likes

It’s a good question. A better one would be how hard do we actually look?

We desperately need someone who’s not afraid to ask the hard questions, the uncomfortable questions. Someone smart enough to see through the optics and call it out. I think, especially when it comes to the board, that passion for the club is important and @em2009 is right, there are plenty of people who fit.

I hate how we’ve tried to manage our board. Hate it. The chick from Facebook adds nothing but skill in separating people from their hard earned, we’ve got that covered already. I don’t care if we have 9 women or none, I don’t care if we have 3 pensioners, 4 cats and a dog. I want them to know how to build a successful footy club. I want them to hold the executive to account. I want them to go to VFL games, chat to players and fans, have a feel for the room. I want them to call out the corporate speak that has become common place.

It feels like we’ve got a fair few people just there to pad out their CVs.

I go to as many VFL games as I can, Woosh is usually there, AD is usually there, senior players are always well represented. I’ve never seen our Director of footy at the VFL … and that is a ■■■■■■■ disgrace.

19 Likes

That could be partially why we make so many tired kicks/turnovers during red time and late in games.

Well if thats the focus (skills) why cant our Forwards lead? Set dummy leads and legal blocks to generated some marks inside 50?

Sack the forwards coach! Whoever he is.

2 Likes