Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

So lets not inject a substance that repairs damaged tissue, lets inject something that makes the pain go away so that the injury probably becomes irrepairable…bizarre

20 Likes

I know - this is what I alluded to 5 minutes ago - the amazing double standards and hypocrisy of the AFL. Harcourt threw our guys under the bus several times.

7 Likes

One wonders how many of the AFL heirarchy have shares in Paradigm Biopharmaceuticals?

8 Likes

Well, … fk me sideways.

Just unbelievable.

1 Like

Nothing would surprise me anymore with the saga. You can guarantee that we aren’t one of the 7 clubs or it would be a very different tone in the article.

4 Likes

NicNat only player I can think of that had knee issues that saw him unlikely for rd1 and yet played way better than expected after the layoff over first 2wks.

We have our own star player who seemingly is having knee issues, and looks limited.

2 Likes

Understand the clinical trials are being conducted in Victoria and Queensland.

1 Like

Just looking around on this a bit and found this article from 2015 about it

Carlton doctor to help test experimental knee treatment
By Jon Pierik29 June 2015 — 6:06pm

Carlton Football Club doctor Phil Bloom is involved in what is an experimental — but potentially revolutionary — treatment to ease the short and long-term impact of bone bruising on AFL players.
Bloom will help Melbourne biotech company Paradigm Pharmaceuticals in a clinical trial to test pentosan polysulfate sodium, a drug that has been used to ease clotting and migraines but could now help with leg injuries through a series of injections. The company hopes to test the drug on AFL players – which could raise eyebrows at league headquarters.
“It will be a matter of recruiting both general public and AFL players which is conditional on the AFL allowing us to use it,” Bloom said.
“They (players) will then be entered into before-and-after MRI scans and pain surveys and disability surveys to determine if it’s helping.”
Bloom said the company had not yet approached the AFL’s chief medical officer, Dr Peter Harcourt.
“The normal process is, you need to put in a written application to use a medication that is under a trial — that’s their (AFL) new rules — and then present all the evidence to the AFL, and they will say whether they are happy to do that,” he said.
The AFL has tightened its medical protocols in wake of the Essendon supplements saga, where the players involved still cannot prove exactly what peptides they were given.
Paradigm Pharmaceuticals will need to provide extensive details for the AFL to allow any players to be tested, or for the drug to eventually be used as accepted treatment.
Bloom said there were no specific treatments for bone bruising, which can lead to knee reconstructions and, in the long term, osteoarthritis.
“The main treatment is immobilisation and rest, pain-killers, sometimes anti-inflammatories are used – none are particularly effective,” Bloom said.
"The research is showing that these bone bruises are the precursors to damage to the cartilage, which in the short term causes symptoms of its own, but later arthritis.
“We mostly see the knee joints and hip joints, and to a lesser extent the ankles.”
Bloom said early studies overseas of the symptoms and long-term impact of the drug were “promising”. The local testing is expected to begin soon after the company floats on the stock exchange next month.
“Hopefully, the trials may be productive. There is no guarantee it will work but if it does there is a lot of promise,” he said.
Paradigm Pharmaceuticals chief executive Paul Rennie, a former SANFL player, had trialled the drug on himself and said he was now pain-free. He said the subcutaneous injection process would involve twice weekly injections over three weeks.
Rennie said Melbourne Storm chief medical officer Ruben Branson would also help with the trials.
“There are a number of AFL doctors that do want to participate in the clinical trial. As I said, we’ll be looking at players with bone bruising as detected by MRI, then they will be treated,” he said.
“I hope it’s going to be the start … for the footballers’ sake that if they get these injuries, and concussion is another one, they are just starting to see … they are having problems later in life. Hopefully these produce better outcomes for athletes later in life.”

2 Likes

The TGA says its special access scheme “refers to arrangements which provide for the import and/or supply of an unapproved therapeutic good for a single patient, on a case-by-case basis”.

So its not approved for use yet lets use it …

Trust Harcourt is being as diligent about the potential for cancer as he was with Essendon supplements.
Also amusing is the fact that the drug has been used to treat osteo arthritis in animals ( mostly racehorses) a cause of great concern in regard to some Essendon supplements .
As Harcourt is on a WADA medical committee, any potential WADA concerns about health should not be problematic .

He is also on an ASADA Committee

20 Likes

“More respected”?

Edit: may have missed the sarcastica font.

1 Like

Where’s the outrage ffs! Also used on dogs and horses.

Maybe I’ve missed it but not even a mention on Sen.

1 Like

Anyone know when Bruce’s foi request on the consent forms is decided?

Also injected in stomach - ■■■!!!

4 Likes

Access to the money making machine and all its comglomurate companies, businesses and future business deals and acquisitions. Only “boys club” access.

Its like a form of insider trader.

4 Likes

LOL

■■■■ U Asada@CharlieDons
52m52 minutes ago
More
What have you got to say now Gilly Boy?

16 Likes

Obviously, “I never injected anyone”

6 Likes

I blame the players & their association for allowing this to happen & not standing up for their work mates when it was obvious to blind Freddie that it was a set up …also why do they let themselves sign contracts that take away their basic human right to a fair trial & natural justice!!!

3 Likes

Germany is worse than Mexico right? Nazi drugs anyone? That would have been a good headline…

3 Likes

oh so we only believe the hysterical person & not the one who’s able to control his emotion to his voice cracking & a few tears rolling down his face??? seriously human nature?? I’d say people felt more sympathy for Smith because the media painted him in a different way to Hird who was seen as the big bad no matter how untrue it might have been? don’t forget if Caro had written article after article for weeks before Smith was given a chance to say sorry it might have been a different story …the only human nature involved here is how much like sheep some people are willing to be to have a big bad to blame we all know David Warner played that role in the cricket saga, it had nothing to do with how emotional anyone was just how willing people are to be led by the nose by the media MS & social

9 Likes