Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

Its not the drugs, its the duplicity of the AFL. I believe Cousins always said he felt indestructible, which is a great way to play footy.
Meanwhile both he and Mr “blue powder” won Brownlows as well as a premiership.

16 Likes

It’s a small name, looks about 4 letters long…

3 Likes

They were, well that or speed or ice.

Cousins been reported as saying that he felt “bulletproof” on match days as a result.

1 Like

how good is that clean air!!!

1 Like

Believe it or not there were only two four letter name players at west Coast in 2007, Matt Rosa, and a bloke who is on the record as saying that what happens off the field is no-one else’s business, Mr. Chris Judd. Make of that what you will.

2 Likes

You don’t say…

I do, I do.Well, allowing for the fact that Kerr had already been named.

1 Like

Kerr?

EDIT: Oh.

1 Like

AFL: …“players health and safety are our top priority”

AFL: lets organise a report on West Coast from a leading QC with some positive recommendations.

AFL: Sheesh! Dont like the recommendations at all. Hide that report. Lets not talk about this again.

AFL …“players health and safety are our top priority”

AFL: lets organise an interim report on ‘governance’ on Essendon from the same party that supposed to be investigating ‘anti doping’ at Essendon.

AFL Sheesh! Dont like that report. Not enough injections. Lets ramp the injection count up, and ‘take out the bits that compromose what we need’.

Future AFL: …“players health and safety are our top priority”

23 Likes

Stunned they didn’t put a token group in place and still had the AFL Commission run it.

2 Likes

That’s not surprising. All of the names I have for him are automatically redacted on here also.

5 Likes

Wasn’t the review on how the afl managed the essendon saga due out before the season starts?

I don’t care about this eagles stuff, nobody should be surprised by that and the current admin will pass the buck because that was part of andy’s legacy.

2 Likes

Speed = amphetamines
Ice = amphetamines (higher purity/potency)
Compared with the above, cocaine wears off in a fraction of the time - would be more or less over by the first bounce.
Just saying

Yeah agreed.

Ice/Speed would be the thing that would still last the game without any worries at all.

Insane really to be exerting yourself at the level Cousins would have running on match day with an already highly elevated heart rate.

Was an article on this in suburban footy as a PED.

Footballers are putting their lives in danger by using the drug just minutes before they run on to the field in some cases — often feeling “like Superman"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/coaches-supplying-ice-to-players-in-grassroots-footy-crisis/news-story/45f3f515c824c9e2e260f86a25d7f605

2 Likes

Yep, and anyone who says it isn’t performance enhancing is either bullshitting or knows nothing about it (long term effects of repeated use are another matter)

5 Likes

thought it would be some bull reason I wonder if it applied to those guys no longer working as they wouldn’t have had a current contract & they really cant make them retrospective once you no longer work for them !!

I think it’s pretty easy to pass the buck and blame Woosh and Nisbett but the main blame has to go to the players. It’s not like woosh was pushing the gear to whoever was taking it.
I think maybe not enough was known of illegal drugs especially with an emergence of Ice probably around that time for it to either be fully comprehended as becoming such an issue for the users both at the time of playing and then also in later life.
IMO anything done outside of the club is not the responsibility of the coach.

2 Likes

The thing is if it was ice the visible signs are no different to a player having had a few very strong coffees or redbulls before training/game.

It’s just that the effect is much more long lasting.

Players still take caffeine tablets now IIRC to get them up and about/alert/switched on.

So from a coaching perspective if the players were turning up and training hard/smashing the running, and performing on game day… and ASADA ‘drug testing’ wasn’t catching them out and local WA police turning blind eye to afterhours shenanigans and not telling club given hero worship status then what really could the coaching group have done.

5 Likes

When will James Hird apologise for the West Coast drug issue and accept responsibility?

45 Likes

The timing of this may be to force the AFL’s hand in regard to release of the Essendon review, in addition to Warner’s campaign against the AFL power and arrogance.
I don’t read it as a hit on Worsfold, more of a contrast in regard to the selective scapegoating of Essendon staff and the penalties handed out for governance failures as well as the exclusion of Essendon from the finals.
There has not been any suggestion of involvement of criminal elements at Essendon, nor of an iillicit drug culture there ( as compared to possible illicit drug use by one player, now at another club).
iIRC, the WADA time limit has expired for any case against WCE.
There is also a contrast between the AFL cover- up of WCE and the leaking of information - including selective naming of people at Essendon - while protecting others more accountable ( even to the extent of placing them in plum jobs).

15 Likes