Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

Haha Swiss Government forces WADA to change the name of the Independent Testing Authority to International Testing Agency.
It’s not independent - financed by IOC
It’s not a statutory body, but a privately owned body owned by a private body.

15 Likes
2 Likes

Calling all Blitzers - if anyone has web designing skills (or knows someone who does) and would like to assist J34 can you please PM me.

Thanks.

I can think of one fella I know of, … whistle

@RIMFYA

Need someone in Melbourne.

1 Like

UK rugby league player gets reduced sanction for taking WADA banned drug out of competition, because the intent was not performance enhancement. WADA rules prohibit consideration whether the substance in question is actually performance enhancing.
Also, the proportionality word is nowhere to be found in the WADA Code.

1 Like

1 Like

Does WADA stand for We’re A D I C K HEAD Authority?

3 Likes

Not sure you understand how this internet thing works.

2 Likes

Cricket Australia appoints an independent ethics body to investigate cricketers culture following the ball-tampering incident.
All those independent bodies focussing on athletes. There should be independent bodies to investigate the integrity of the likes of sporting federations and doping bodies. No chance of that coming out of the Hunt sports integrity inquiry.
At least the AOC appointed an independent inquiry to examine the Tancred bullying claims. The AFL would be one of the biggest bullies in Australian sport.

6 Likes

Bit of a random question but is the ‘Straight Dope’ a good read?

1 Like

Good read but hard in spots as you realise the extent of actions taken.

3 Likes

Then you have the IAAF integrity body, chaired by Howman and with Clothier the go to. Its main function is athlete doping. What else would you expect given the integrity of those two.
Scientists going to town on IAAF’s non- peer reviewed rules on testosterone levels in female competition. One IAAF member resigned in protest.

1 Like

Straight Dope is an excellent read IMO

5 Likes

Yes, Chip’s book provides excellent background. I am disappointed he hasn’t followed up on some of his research and provided more articles. We may have been told we have ‘moved on’ but many of us obviously haven’t and I reckon Chip has folders of information we would consume avidly.

His article about Bomber undervalues the effect many have claimed the saga had on them. It is easy to attribute Bomber’s current troubles to a long term issue. I don’t know anything about Bomber’s reported issues with illicit drugs but I do know many high functioning and effective people who abuse alcohol with impunity. I think Chip has downplayed the huge damage the saga has done to Bomber’s life. I attended a book launch at St Bernard’s where Sheedy and Bomber discussed Bomber’s book and their joint experiences. It really struck me how emotional and angry Bomber was when he spoke about the saga. When signing my book, he said ‘Never, ever forget.’ And I can’t.

Bomber functioned we’ll enough to coach us into a final in 2014. After everything that happened, it was an exceptional effort. The saga was still the biggest sporting news story around but Bomber held the team together. The charging of the players by McDevitt and the subsequent CAS decision must have been soul destroying for the men the media encouraged the public to blame. We’ve seen the public demise of two coaches, constant speculation about their private lives and total disregard for their wellbeing. I am dismayed at the lack of compassion shown by people and Chip has potentially fed that mean spirited, judgemental side of society.

To me, the biggest cheats are those who feed us only parts of the story or help in the covering up of the truth.

36 Likes

Quote: 9/6/2016

"Hey *****, I remember you at the bombers back all those years ago. It’s been a hell of a journey but it hasn’t been a bad choice because ive got to do something I really loved doing for over 30 years. Shame about the end but life’s not perfect. My health is fine thanks probably contrary to what you’ve heard or what some people want you to believe. The game has changed into a bitter commercially focused game, want to control everything from head quarters and we are dealing with a group of selfish , powerful drunk, money driven members of an elite boys club where certain individuals support one another until death. Along the way they have been filling up there own pockets through private companies. It needs to stop mate and they have to start caring about the game and it’s people. How has it got to the point where James Hird doesn’t think life’s worth living??? I cannot believe how these cruel people can get away with this kind of behaviour. A lot of people know what really happened at Essendon but nobody has the courage to stand up to the Australian Football League. James stood up and they gobbled him up. All he was looking for was proper process and the truth and he has been made out to look like mass murderer. Not saying we all perfect but the way it happened has not been given a chance to surface and probably never will. Long

I felt like a rant . I been talking to people all day about James and how to help him. " unquote Mark Thompson

Just saying that the Drug Saga has had a MASSIVE impact of Bomba and Hirdy…don’t think it hasn’t.

39 Likes

Testify.

1 Like

Legit makes me sad reading that

7 Likes

Is it a legit quote?