Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

It’s a pity the CAS panel didn’t inform itself of the difference between melanotan and melatonin, when getting it wrong in their justification for disbelieving McVeigh’s testimony. They demonstrated, with that alone, the folly of holding a position of absolute immunity from any recourse or review of their judgements.

And since when does signing a form, under the coercive threat of exclusion from participation, constitute “free consent”?

12 Likes

Again, if someone wishes to take this issue a little further, the following correspondence was received from a forensic voice recognition expert (name withheld):

I know virtually nothing about football or about the doping saga. Also I am not a lawyer - so I am speaking purely from a forensic science perspective.
As far as I can tell from a quick review of this phone call (I didnt listen all the way through), there is quite a lot of information provided that would narrow the population of possible speakers substantially (e.g. if there are 34 players, presumably they have 34 mothers - and the number is no doubt further reduced by other factors).
This makes speaker recognition a possibility. For detailed forensic voice comparison you would need speech samples from relevant speakers.
Unfortunately ruling out the voices of all the mothers is a more difficult task, if you want to provide evidence the caller is not one of these. It would probably be helpful if you were able to suggest someone you believe it might be.

I’d really recommend taking it up with the police - after all, impersonating someone like that (if that is what has happened) has legal implications.

Best wishes"

7 Likes

Jackson recently stated:

Awaiting judgment on the AFL’s preliminary trial application.

When asked expected timeframe:

Typically about 30 days, but it depends on the case and also the Judge’s particular workload (on-going trials etc).

8 Likes

IIRC, at the time of the Spanish case Spanish law applicable to anti-doping required a standard of proof of beyond a reasonable doubt. So, WADA and the IAAF took it to CAS to override Spanish law. WADA subsequently declared Spain non- compliant with the WADA Code at which Spain responded that its law-making was not subservient to WADA, a private body, but was a matter for the Spanish Parliament. WADA climbed down.
Also in that case, the arbitrators decided that the IAAF was not engaged in economic activity, given its status as a not for profit organisation. Tell that to the AFL, whose primary function these days is money-raising ( some of which goes to funding its staff salaries and bonuses).

2 Likes

It would be reduced to a handful if Sarah’s son was about to turn 21 in August 2013. I think I remember someone having looked at the player list and ages either here or on bigfooty and there were only one or two possibilities.

1 Like

Any of them named Sarah?

Unless they want to join them.

In India National Sports Federations are subject to India’s FOI laws, apparently associated with having the character of a public body and their monopoly powers.
Wish it could apply to the AFL, linked to receipt of government funding. It would be a lot cheaper to pursue requests through the AAT than the courts.

1 Like

How much would it cost to compare Sarah’s voice with the “Work Choices Lady” also hired by Lukin?

5 Likes

USG and Landis settled with Armstrong for around $5m after seeking US$100m. As soon as the judge agreed that Armstrong could introduce evidence about US Postal service knowledge of doping in the team, Armstrong was on a winner.
Now, if only Jackson Taylor can hold out for discovery of AFL documents and the judge agrees, some of the truth might come out
If Evans had not kowtowed to the AFL and if the AFL had not offered its intelligence gathering services to ASADA none of this would have happened. Corruption is not limited to financial gain. While ASADA has a lot to answer for, AFL is the prime culprit. It has almost unlimited power, but is unaccountable. It is a company without shareholders in the normal sense.

19 Likes

Good question, I don’t know.

I would think it might be best to ask the Investigators look into other likely actors as well so as to obtain a few examples to compare, rather than doing one at a time.

Once a ‘guestimate’ of the total costs are obtained from the investigators, you could consider crowdsourcing to cover the cost of all of it.

I would be happy to contribute. Anybody else?

19 Likes

Yep I’m in stabby

Me too.

To be honest it wouldn’t be that much and I could get it done.

Who is the work choice actor? If she is with the major agencies all her material would be online.

Let me know and I will get it done.

6 Likes

Can’t find her name by googling but this is what she looked like:

Looks like a Sarah to me :wink:

I posted here back in 2014 (!) that her voice was a better match to Sarah than the other Lukin ad lady, “Whingeing Wendy”. I only had access to a freeware sound analyser so I am sure professionals could do a better job.

If The_Ant can’t get it done, I am also happy to chip in for a crowdfunder, Stabby.

6 Likes

I looked at the list for 5 minutes and based on her info the player was literally the only one in the bracket. However when I posted the name of such player I got flamed, and then I was told it could not have been the parents of him as they were known to the club.

This was old blitz, so I need to have a look back. It was not a player that is still currently on the list from memory.

There were two players who matched the description given by “Sarah”. Both long gone.

2 players. Hmmm, I’m surprised we had 2 players who have 4 younger siblings and mother/s couldn’t make it to the meetings.

S’pose anything is possible though.

I don’t recall the “4 younger siblings” bit; as I recall, the initial narrowing of candidates came from the “about to turn 21” and the mother’s absence from meetings.

The 4 younger siblings requirement knocks out at least one of the two, so I’m surprised by it.

The personal references could have been (dopey) deliberate misdirection, of course.

1 Like

I maybe wrong as I haven’t heard/listened to the interview, but reckon I read it somewhere, the reason the mum didn’t go to the meetings was because of the younger siblings.

(Will try to track down where I read it).