Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

Thank you Littlehirdy.

I was having trouble following the chain of events Bruce had set out, so I have redone it so it makes more sense to me and posted it here for all the simple folk like me.

I also added in a picture of the original ADVRP decision which appears after all 34 players were listed. Anyway, here is Bruces abridged argument to Mr Hunt once again:

Quote from Bruce Francis:

• On 3 November 2014, the Anti-Doping Review Violation Panel (ADRVP) met to determine whether 34 Essendon players were possibly administered Thymosin Beta-4 between January 2012 and September 2012.

• ASADA lawyers Elen Perdikogiannis and Emily Fitton were required to present cases against each of the 34 Essendon players.

• The ADRVP panellists decided it was possible that each player was administered Thymosin Beta-4.

• In my view, as ASADA accepted that there was evidence that only eight players were administered Thymosin, it was only possible that the ADRVP could make a Register of Findings against eight players.

• I believed that the ADRVP had made a disastrous, unjust decision, which was probably made through corrupt and/or misconduct behaviour by unknown people.

• On 22 June 2016, I made an FOI request for documents relating to the 3 November 2014 meeting. Inter alia, I requested any communication between ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt and the ADRVP panellists and/or Perdikogiannis and Fitton.

• At 11.45 AM on Friday 24 October 2014, ASADA lawyer Emily Fitton sent an email to ASADA lawyer Elen Perdikogiannis under the Subject: ADRVP documentation. Inter alia, Fitton said:

“Once you’ve read through the template I’ve prepared, are (sic) can we have a chat about how best the documentation (PARTICULARLY THE CEO RECOMMENDATION) (my emphasis) should be loaded onto Govdex.

“My initial preference was that the CEO recommendation in its entirety should be loaded onto Govdex . So, in that sense, they [the ADRVP members] would get:

i.            CEO Recommendation_

ii.            Revised Show Cause Notices _
 (and reporting material) (which they now all should have on flash drives)_

“A lot of the attachments in the Show Cause Notices are DRAWN FROM THE CEO RECOMMENDATION (my emphasis) …

" end quote from Bruce Francis.

13 Likes

so the CEO Recommendation wasn’t in written form?? nor the Revised show cause notices?? so how was this communicated?? via voice recording?? what?? maybe they have a different definition to the rest of us about what written communication is

6 Likes

Looks like ASADA are being very cagey by construing the CEO Recommendation as not being a letter text or email to the ADRVP.

Well it’s not quite a royal commission but there is an opportunity to stick an oar into the swamp through the National Sports Plan process as recently announced by the Minister:

He is inviting “all Australians and the sporting community to play a part in shaping the Turnbull Government‘s new National Sports Plan. The Plan will be a long-term strategy for the whole of sport and will examine four key pillars of participation, performance, prevention through physical activity, and integrity. …Further details on the Plan, including options for submitting views, are available at www.sport.gov.au. Contributions and ideas are due by 31 July 2017. Submissions should consider the key issues listed on the website.”

The further details are so far missing from the website but presumably they will cover the key pillar of “integrity”. Saga followers know a bit about this. Worth sharing with the Government I reckon.

4 Likes

Interested to see what documents were provided to Bruce Francis. A previous FOI request for records of ADRVP discussions between panel members and with others resulted in ASADA supplying only one document, the ADRVP decision. ASADA at the time explained that it was the only document it could identify as relevant to the request, while refusing to confirm that it was the sole record of discussions.

3 Likes

Of course not Helen, I doubt the media will bite the hand that throws the tit bits and feeds them. It will be nothing to see here, move on.

1 Like

McDevitt clever you know, perhaps it was by remote telepathic exchange.

In her reporting, Mary Gearin of the ABC queried whether a national tribunal would be limited in scope to ant- doping or go wider to capture off- field decisions by sporting bodies.
If the scope were wider, it could pick up AFL integrity issues, such as bringing the game into disrepute, AFL sponsorship controls, transfers, appointments etc.
The CAS arbitration scope goes well beyond ant- doping.

5 Likes

McDevitt clever you know, perhaps it was by remote telepathic exchange.

Better the Devitt you know?

3 Likes

Hey, up_up, you’re very clever. That’s why the AFL would probably employ him if they had the chance. Better to have him on your side than be blindsided by him. Keep your enemies close.

1 Like

Good post - It will open a can of worms if a National Anti-Doping tribunal goes beyond the scope of anti-doping - I can’t see sporting bodies ceding some of their responsibilities, especially those related to overall governance to this new tribunal - National Tribunal seems fine in theory but doubt it in practice - In relation to the EFC 34, I believe a National Anti-Doping Tribunal would have found the players not guilty - So we may have ended up again at CAS.

1 Like

Bruce seems to have ramped up his campaign. The alarming aspect is the possibility this type of public authority behaviour is not just confined to the Health Dept and ASADA. We have our own example with the AFL shutting down any questions about its controversial behaviour. Nothing seems to operate on the principles we expect.

The Hon Greg Hunt MP
Minister for Sport

Dear Minister

1.  On numerous occasions I have given you irrefutable evidence that the AFL, ASADA, WADA, the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the Ombudsman’s office, the Victorian WorkSafe Authority and the Gillard government were guilty of corruption and/or misconduct during the Essendon saga. Sadly, I think a case could be made against decisions made by the Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel (ADRVP) members who appear to have rubber stamped ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt’s ‘illegal’ recommendation after a duplicit ADRVP meeting.

2.  For the benefit of the copyists to this email, and your staff, before identifying the way the process was conducted, I shall outline the Reader’s Digest version of the process the 34 Essendon players were subjected.

3.  ASADA investigates possible anti-doping violations and issues Show Cause Notices if it thinks a case could be made against an athlete

4.  ASADA presents the evidence to the Anti-Doping Report Violation Panel.

5.  The ADRVP decides whether an assertion of a possible anti-doping rule violation by an athlete or support person should be made. In the Essendon case, it had to decide whether an assertion of possible administration of Thymosin Beta-4 by each of the Essendon players

6.  If the ADRVP decides it were possible that the athlete was administered Thymosin Beta-4, it makes a Register of Findings.

7.  With respect to Essendon, ASADA issued Show Cause Notices to 34 players

8.  ASADA was required to do two things:

i.            Present evidence to the ADRVP members that would enable them to assert that it was possible Thymosin was Thymosin Beta-4

ii.            Present evidence to the ADRVP members that would enable them to assert that it was possible each of the 34 players was administered Thymosin Beta-4.

9.  Each player’s evidence folder contained on average 300 pages. That’s a total of 10,200 pages of evidence.

10. In a major game-ending breach of the rules, ASADA admitted that the information given to the ADRVP members also contained CEO Ben McDevitt’s recommendation.

11. ASADA claimed it took one minute to read each page in the players’ files.

12. Thus, it would have taken each ADRVP member 170 hours to read the evidence against all 34 players. That’s assuming there were no toilet breaks. There are 168 hours in a week.

13. As the ADRVP members did not receive the 10,200 pages before 24 October 2014, it was impossible for them to have read each player’s evidence file before the 3 November 2014 ADRVP meeting.

14. ASADA lawyers Elen Perdikogiannis and Emily Fitton were tasked on 3 November 2014 with presenting evidence that would enable the ADRVP members to assert that it was possible that Thymosin was Thymosin Beta-4, and deciding whether an assertion of a possible anti-doping rule violation by each player should be made. That is, assert that it was possible that each of the 34 players was administered Thymosin Beta-4.

15.                    It is vital to remember that the case had to be made against each player in his own right. It was not a one in, all in, class action.

16. As my research indicated that there were only 24 hours on 3 November 2014, it was impossible for Perdikogiannis and Fitton to address each of the 10,200 pages of evidence.

17. Consequently, ASADA had to select an incredibly small number of pages from each player’s file to present and address.

18. If it took one minute to read a page and one minute for ASADA to talk to the evidence on that page, and if the ADRVP members didn’t ask a single question, it would have taken just on six hours to present just five of the 300 pages in each player’s evidence file.

19. Yesterday, 23 May 2017, ASADA sent me a document that contained my 22 June 2016 FOI request; ASADA’s response; and it’s decision. It should lead to a number of ASADA people being sacked.

Revised Request
ASADA RESPONSE
Decision
The documents/notes/slides ASADA used to persuade the ADRVP that Thymosin was Thymosin Beta-4
ADRVP engages in a deliberative process in order to decide whether an assertion of a possible anti-doping rule violation by an athlete or support person should be made. The panel is not a tribunal or a Court and does not need to be persuaded. It makes an assertion on the possibility of an ADRP.
There is no single document that was given to the ADRVP on the issue of whether Thymosin was Thymosin Beta-4. Rather there was a range of documents that allowed an inference to be drawn.

Sincere apologies to those of you who broke ribs laughing so heartedly at ASADA’s response and decision. Even though ASADA’s comment “there was a range of documents that allowed an inference to be drawn” is disingenuous, in the interests of transparency, ASADA should have released those alleged documents to me.

Revised Request
ASADA Response
Decision
The letters/texts/emails sent by Ben McDevitt to the ADRVP members before and after the 3 November 2014 meeting
Mr McDevitt was out of the country before, during and after the 3 November meeting on business. He did not correspond in any way (my emphasis) with the ADRVP members.

ASADA has released the agenda, the minutes of the meeting and the emails sent between the ADRVP secretariat and the members.

It should be noted that even if Mr McDevitt was at ASADA at the time, it is not the case that he would send correspondence to panel members and vice versa.
No further documents found

At 11.45 AM on Friday 24 October 2014, ASADA lawyer Emily Fitton sent an email to ASADA lawyer Elen Perdikogiannis under the Subject: ADRVP documentation. Inter alia, Fitton said:

“Once you’ve read through the template I’ve prepared, are (sic) can we have a chat about how best the documentation (PARTICULARLY THE CEO RECOMMENDATION) (my emphasis) should be loaded onto Govdex.

“My initial preference was that the CEO recommendation in its entirety should be loaded onto Govdex . So, in that sense, they [the ADRVP members] would get:

i.            CEO Recommendation

ii.            Revised Show Cause Notices (and reporting material) (which they now all should have on flash drives)

“A lot of the attachments in the Show Cause Notices are DRAWN FROM THE CEO RECOMMENDATION (my emphasis) …

This internal ASADA email indicates that ASADA lied to me yesterday when it claimed McDevitt didn’t correspond in any way with the ADRVP. Second, ASADA’s comments yesterday infer it was wrong for McDevitt to correspond with the ADRVP members.

ASADA should have released McDevitt’s “Recommendation” document to me.

Revised Request
ASADA Response
Decision
Given that ASADA claimed that it spoke to each of the 34 player’s cases during the 3 November 2014 ADRVP meeting, and given that it was impossible to speak to each of the 300 to 400 pages in each players file, ASADA must have spoken to about two or three pages from each player’s file. I require those pages.
At the time it was common for an ASADA officer to comment on the material to the ADRVP members.

In this case the ASADA officers [Elen Perdikogiannis and Emily Fitton] didn’t ‘speak to’ specific pages of each players file.
No documents

Sincere apologies to those of you who have thrown their computers out the window in a rage. ASADA was required to present its case against each player in his own right. In earlier correspondence, ASADA claimed it did. Now we are being told that ASADA didn’t speak to specific pages of a player’s file.

As the ADRVP members were required to assess each player’s case on its own merits, and in ASADA’s own words didn’t, clearly the whole ADRVP process was a farce. Both ASADA and the ASADA panel’s action were unconscionable and should be investigated by a Royal Commission.

A Register of Findings should not have been made against any of the players. The whole saga should have been declared dead and buried at that point. There should not have been an AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal hearing nor a Court of Arbitration for Sport hearing.

Minister, I am way past the not knowing whether to laugh or cry at you, the Prime Minister and the media condoning the widespread corruption, misconduct and lies by the AFL and so many quasi government organisations.

Yours faithfully

Bruce Francis

24 Likes

Good on Bruce. Once again he has demonstrated ASADA stitched the players up

7 Likes

Basically as would not be surprising it’s just showing public service/government departments and panels as being completely incompetent.

And being able to be bullied/coerced by others.

As per Andruska and those above her and as per McDevitt to the ADRVP.

And no one ever holds them accountable to anything. The bodies who are meant to are equally as incompetent and the politicians with any sway take the easy route and avoid anything that makes them/their party look bad.

8 Likes

it is also possible that Thymosin could have been raspberry cordial but you wouldn’t prosecute on that would you there has to be more than just a possibility, surely it needs to also be probable that it was with some sort of evidence not just wishful thinking to back it up? Tell me again why AFL, a team non-Olympic sport is even signed up to WADA rules???

2 Likes

And still no one cares

6 Likes

Government funding to build Stadiums and grants to Sporting bodies. You cannot have any funding till you join the WADA code .

1 Like

Yes indeed and remember Demetriou was the person who signed up to the WADA code. His reputation and annual bonuses depended on the revenue he brought in

4 Likes

An Integrity Commission is much needed and we should all be checking the website to make submissions. However, Mr Hunt should not get away without properly investigating what went on. His ‘home grown’ check of ASADA’s behaviour via the Health Dept is not a good look, being a slippery way he managed to shift blame for our complaints about the treatment of our 34 to the AFL AntiDoping Tribunal. He has made it look like the Tribunal of two retired judges and an experienced and credentialed barrister was accountable.

Accountable? There’s Pandora’s box really. To whom is ASADA accountable? We have seen that it’s not parliament.
To whom is the AFL accountable? We know it receives government grants, but do we ever see the benefits those who comprise the AFL e.g Mike Fitzpatrick, actually receive as a result of their association with the game? Does any govt call the AFL to account?
Too much power has been held by people who seem to have no real public accountability. Now that really is not a good look.

We all read Bruce’s letters and get a buzz out of his continued efforts to gain recognition of the truth. It would be worthwhile for as many of us as possible, sending similar letters to Hunt to demonstrate we don’t accept his response. A short letter that picks up on just one cover-up or one shabby ASADA action or one lie, might just be enough for the Minister to realise too many people see through the corruption. He might understand he probably needs to investigate properly to ensure any integrity commission he constructs will understand what went wrong and so be able to overcome future events like the ones we’ve witnessed.

9 Likes

More from Bruce Francis.

25 May 2017

The Hon Greg Hunt
Minister for Sport

Dear Minister @GregHuntMP (https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP),

1. So far I have given you irrefutable proof that the AFL, ASADA, WADA, the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the Ombudsman’s office, the Victorian WorkSafe Authority, the Gillard government and the Anti-Doping Review Violation Panel were guilty of corruption and/or misconduct and/or incompetency during the Essendon saga.

2. Today, I am adding your colleague Senator Jonathon Duniam and his Community Affairs Committee to the list of incompetent and/or corrupt people.

3. When ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt appeared before the Senate Estimates committee on 3 March 2016, I was certain that he misled Parliament on at least 16 occasions.

4. As I believed misleading Parliament should result in dismissal, I lodged a complaint against McDevitt with Senator Duniam’s Community Affairs Committee.

5. McDevitt subsequently appeared before Senator Duniam and his committee. The committee inexplicably ruled in McDevitt’s favour on all 16 issues.

6. I concluded that McDevitt must have lied to the committee and that Senator Duniam and his committee members were either idiots on the Binet scale or were covering up McDevitt’s lies.

7. Although I had a QC’s advice that I was correct on at least 14 of the 16 issues, all I had to do to ‘win’ the case was to prove that McDevitt misled Parliament on just one issue.

8. To that end, I made a number of FOI requests to ASADA. Inter alia, on 30 June 2016, two requests included the following:

i. During his appearance before the Senate Estimates hearing on 3 March 2016, ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt said: “In the words of Stephen Dank, Thymosin was the vital cornerstone of that team-based program.” I require the document(s) in which Stephen Dank said “Thymosin was the vital cornerstone of that team-based program.”

McDevitt was quoting from a 23 August 2011 SMS from Dank to Dean Robinson, which I had seen. Consequently, I knew that in his comments in the Senate Estimates hearing, McDevitt had added words to the SMS, which changed the meaning of the SMS. Clearly, McDevitt had misled Parliament. However, in rejecting my complaint, Senator Duniam unconscionably ruled that it was alright to deliberately change the meaning of an SMS.

After much stalling with my FOI request, ASADA informed me that no document could be found that included the words TEAM-BASED programme.

Thus, ASADA had implied that McDevitt had misled Parliament.

ii. During his appearance before the Senate Estimates hearing on 3 March 2016, ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt said: “There were over 100 text messages that unveiled a plan to source Thymosin Beta-4 for the purpose of doping the Essendon team. I require every one of the text messages that Mr McDevitt was referring to.”

I thought this statement by McDevitt had to be at least equal to the greatest lie ever told at a Senate Estimates hearing for the following reasons:

a. It was incomprehensible that Dank would include the words “FOR THE PURPOSE OF DOPING THE ESSENDON TEAM” in one text, let alone in over 100 texts.

b. Dank’s name was mentioned 1189 times in the 434 page interim report. He was never quoted using the expression “FOR THE PURPOSE OF DOPING THE ESSENDON TEAM”. If he had done so, ASADA would have included such quotes in the interim report.

c. Dank was quoted once in the interim report using the term “Thymosin Beta-4”. He retracted the comment the next day. If Dank had used the term “Thymosin Beta-4” in texts on over 100 occasions there is no doubt that ASADA would have included them in the interim report.

Logic suggested that the whole world would believe that McDevitt lied to Parliament. However, Senator Duniam and his committee members proved that there was more than one born every minute and incomprehensibly ruled that McDevitt was telling the truth when he said that there were over 100 such texts messages.

I made my FOI request for the 100 plus SMSs that McDevitt quoted from. ASADA gave me numerous spurious reasons why it could not release those texts.

I complained to the Office of Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) about ASADA lying that such texts existed.

On 23 May 2017, (348 days after my original FOI request) one of ASADA’s lawyers informed the Information Commissioner that: ‘Mr Francis’ revision of this request has refined the search to such an extent that ASADA is able to state: ‘NO DOCUMENT CONTAINING THE CLAUSE “THYMOSIN BETA-4 FOR THE PURPOSE OF DOPING THE ESSENDON PLAYERS”’, EXISTS.” (my emphasis).

Incredibly, in his meeting with Senator Duniam and his Community Affairs Committee, McDevitt turned water into wine and bread crumbs into loaves and convinced them that there were over 100 such texts. Clearly, Senator Duniam must be asked to explain what evidence that McDevitt produced to convince him that there were over 100 such texts.

Minister, I need some help here. Are Senator Duniam and his committee members just plain stupid, or are they all crooks covering up McDevitt lying to Parliament? Or are they just like you and Prime Minister Turnbull and just condoning corruption?

Metaphorically speaking you are doing a Marcus Einfeld. All you had to do was acknowledge that there was sufficient information of wrong doing to justify an investigation. But you and the Prime Minister chose to lie and claim that all allegations had been investigated by Justice Middleton. That was the equivalent of strapping on a suicide vest and jumping off the West Gate Bridge.

Yours faithfully
Bruce Francis

20 Likes