Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

No luck?

1 Like

Are you feeling left out???

I also worked at an office where everyone was on with everyone. It was very incestuous. I was the odd one out. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me. Later, I found out there was, I wasn’t tri sexual.

2 Likes

I see the problem.

It sounds as if it would be safer than trying to do it on a bicycle.

That’s a very elaborate come-on, mdso…

it sounds like complete and utter paranoia, with a bit of idiocy mixed in.

1 Like

You lack a bit of subtlety of mind.

I was just pointing out there are facts that point towards the uncomfortable truth that the AFL are in the business of manufacturing outcomes, with hopefully a bit of tongue in cheek exaggeration thrown in, but not a lot of it.

You are unwise if you discount the AFL manipulating outcomes, at least to some extent, because their motivation is the billions of dollars riding on the appeal of their product to the masses.

6 Likes

Have heard supporters of other clubs saying similar things about the umpiring now.

comments like
“There is to much money in footy now, umpires will even things up”

If the saga had never happened id tell myself I am a nutcase for thinking this way but. I do believe the AFL is trying to manipulate outcomes, I am not sure if it involves a word to a certain umpire, or if they just pick umpires for certain games knowing they favor certain teams.

*disclaimer I may or may not be a nutcase

7 Likes

If there are any talented fiction authors out there, here is an idea.

Anyone remember Frank Hardy’s seminal novel, Power Without Glory? Pretty much the “Underbelly” of its day. The day being the first half of the 20th century. Because it was supposed to be fictionalised account of the life of John Wren, it was taken to be fact.

I reckon a fictionalised account of the various corrupt dealings of the VFL/AFL could be an interesting read or TV serial. It could cover the whole history of the game. That has been colourful enough, would encompass John Wren himself.

My suggested working title, “The Code”.

8 Likes

Even if it was a fictionalised account of the Saga, everyone would think the story was way too far-fetched and that could never happen in the real world.

7 Likes

Wow, History of the game. That could be a 39 part TV series, of two hour episodes. And we would still only have covered to about 1940.
(When North Melbourne apparently got my uncle out of the army so he could continue playing, according to my mother).

Great idea though.

1 Like

Coming soon…
The Code Breaker: Former Coach capes up, breaks the corrupted dark world of a sport code wide open, and drags the She Monster down to the fiery pits of hell.

4 Likes

Dank would be a terrific role.

The potential for an embarrassing, if not corrupt, account of what really happened inside EFC is very high for people involved at the time.

If someone took a cold case type approach to peeling back the layers and interviewing and exposing different characters actions and motivations for not telling the truth could be an interesting approach.

Starting with what people assume to be the truth and exposing one lie and why at a time. Fiction is the only way you might get away with it.

Fxd

2 Likes

Casting could be a problem. I mean, who is possibly clean-cut enough to play James Hird? Not Jimmy Stewart, that’s for damn sure.

2 Likes

OOOO ah, I am too old for come on’s and come off’s. Its my crook back.

I thought that the “golden handshake and the carrot dangling” was the threat of de-registration of the EFC.

It was pretty bad situation as it stood, de-registration, could only have made what already was, much, much, worse.
I think the AFL were bluffing however it was real enough for some people to believe it. Only a rabid dog would bite the hand that feeds it. That was why A.D. had to go.

1 Like

Essendon wears blame like an invisible cloak, the AFL comes out of the saga smelling as sweet as a walk in a pine forest and everything in the garden is wonderful. Next…

Hugh Jackman would make a good James Hird in your make believe movie.

1 Like

My Mums first Job in 1939 at 16 years old, was working in John Wrens office in Swanson Street just up from Young & Jacksons, above a Cafe called the Criterion. Franks Hardys book was banned in our home, as Mum loved John Wren and would not allow a bad word to be said about him.

When the TV series came out, we watched it together and she identified all the characters, and “corrected” some of events.

If Hardy was still alive, he would be the perfect guy to write the Saga Book, and maybe we could find some young lass in the AFL office ( who has not been violated by some older scumbag) who could correct the story where needed.

Ironically, the Hardy Family home is just a few door up from me in the Marsh, and the stories about the Hardy Family are legendary.

4 Likes