Speculation on changes vs Port Adelaide

Not sure why we would ever want 4 big defenders for Port?

Unless I’ve missed something, it looks like they played essentially two tall forwards, Ryder and Dougal Howard. Both going at or about a goal a game.
Hooker/Ambo/Francis should be fine.
Westhoff often glides through there a bit too, so Francis can take him when he’s there and follow him up to the wing.

1 Like

If Charlie is back next week for them we will need to bring Hartley in with no questions asked. Ryder and Westhoff will no doubt spend times forward as well to stretch us.

No, no, let’s pick another tall and ■■■■ up our running capability

2 Likes

Yep.

Not like outrunning sides has been important recently.

EDIT: Is it just me or does Blitz have a collective stockholm syndrome?

We’ve now actually got a hard, hard-working, defensively minded, midfield-driven team - which we’ve all been screaming for for 10 years.
And all Blitz want is to throw all that in the bin for moar flash and moar talls!

2 Likes

Nice.

If Hartley comes in then Hooker goes forward. It would not be adding a defender, it would be switching out Lav for Hooker.

17 Likes

I see what you did there.

Definitely. We were playing Lav very deep tonight on more than a few occasions.

I think Hooker forward will cause some issues for us if the opposition is brave and runs off him, but I think it’s worth a punt if we hope to compete with the genuinely good teams.

We did get completely outplayed by GC’s tall forwards in the air. It is simple as dropping Ambrose for Hartley for example. No need to play 4.

Similar story, though.
I can’t see them dropping a midsize for a tall at this point. We’ve got a lot to lose by going too tall. Lav’s touch and confidence is rubbish right now, but if he goes out, it’ll be for another midsize or small, not Hooker.

(And you couldn’t drop either Brown or Smack, on form.)

Ambrose is in probably the best form of the 3!!

5 Likes

Drop Ambrose? Oh my

25 Likes

I know he came back out but hopefully Smack is cleared of any damage to his ribs. was a pretty hard knee he copped in that contest

2 Likes

I’m sure @scotty21 will give 2MP a stern talking to in bed about it tonight.

10 Likes

Their taller forwards worried us terribly today. Dea or Ridley should come in for McNiece if Port are going with 3 talls. Lav was close to being very good but not close enough makes him look very ordinary so it’s out for me if Fanta is okay. ZClarke just looks below standard - he looks at the opposing ruck too long and subsequently jumps too early or misses the tap in that fraction of a second he gives himself. His work around the ground is ordinary. But what do we do? Unless Hartley can ruck a bit I suppose he stays. Snelling has a go but lacks the necessary pace and overhead ability to worry the opposition.
One change to make is to make it harder to get the ball out when we kick a behind. They did it too easily today.
What we don’t want to change is The Package.

1 Like

I think lot of people have their head in their ■■■ when they watch games. Ambrose is a one trick pony and when our midfield is firing and we are setting up well defensively he looks like a good defender.

The moment we lose the midfield battle he gets found out. He doesn’t have the height but most importantly he doesn’t have the leap to get the first up for spoils.

Sydney in Sydney game and this game, clearly he got exploited. Doesn’t get the ball at all and doesn’t give anything offensively.

1 Like

“Beat the guy you’re on” is a pretty good trick tho.

8 Likes

48 Likes

Anybody’s mate getting married next weekend?

Dinner without supper for him tonight

4 Likes