Sports Doping News & Discussion

8 years. Wow.

I am worried for Willie Rioli - WADA always takes more seriously tampering with samples than a positive test - Yang got 8 years because it was a second offence - I am more interested in how Richard Young was on the board of FINA, yet recused himself to be the prosecution in this case - Young gets away with massive conflicts of interest.

1 Like

I doubt very much that UKAD will ever release Farah’s records/samples unless they have stronger evidence - UKAD doesn’t grandstand like Travis Tygart the head of the USA version of UKAD.

Wow this thread is interesting.

People happy that Sun Yang got what he deserved.

Same people who lived through the Essendon saga.

Yes Sun Yang appeared to be extremely dodgy and it certainly seemed like FINA was covering for him, with his ridiculously light 3 month ban the first time and then letting him off scott free this time (before WADA came over the top).

However, does an athlete really deserve an 8 year ban because he destroyed a sample because the people who rocked up to test him could not provide the required accreditation and identification when he requested it.

Surely anti-doping organisation should be required to play by the rules and just like ASADA and WADA with our case, they also definitely did not appear to here either.

7 Likes

Mmm, not only that. Also not Yang’s first offence…

1 Like

Second offense and he and his group deliberately destroyed evidence and refused to provide more, and it was done with violence.

If you think that’s the same as what happened to Essendon then you don’t really understand this particular issue.

3 Likes

Unless/until the CAS report is released, the rationale for overturning the FINA decision is conjecture.
There is conjecture that CAS gave less weighting to the procedural irregularities and that the destruction of the blood samples was disproportionate.
There could also be conjecture that the CAS decision was payback for the FINA decision in the previous case to let him off with a 3 month suspension and - IiRC - to delay the announcement until the suspension finished.

2 Likes

Of course I don’t think it is exactly the same as the EFC situation…but in both case I think that the athletes involved where held to a far higher level of professionalism and integrity than the anti-dopung authorities were.

I mean if you were going to collect a sample from a high profile athlete with a previous anti doping violation surely you would ensure you had all accreditation and all required paperwork?

1 Like

I dare say they did, Sun was looking for any excuse and then muddied the water afterwards. Don’t be fooled by that show.

1 Like

I think it was a case of CAS / WADA flexing their muscles & making an example of him …bit like the did to us only we didn’t destroy samples or test positive for anything illegal

I do not agree with you about Carl Lewis and others back 20 years ago.

Lewis did have a positve drug test for cocaine, but at levels that were not illegal at the time and it was not in competition.

The sooner they take away all drug restrictions the better.

1 Like

Us
US documents reveal he failed three positive tests for taking banned stimulants, but that USOC cleared him because of inadvertent use ( allegedly in a herbal supplement). Statute of Limititations prevented reopening of the case.

2 Likes

Sun and his group, including his mother, were contacting and threatening witnesses and others, including family members.

Anyone here still want to support this flog?

"The tribunal that handed the three-time Olympic gold medallist an eight-year ban last week released its full 78-page report on his case on Wednesday night and detailed a stunning series of developments that played out before and after its hearing in November last year.

There were five separate occasions where the World Anti-Doping Authority — which was fighting to have Sun held to account for smashing a container holding vials of his blood in September, 2018 — accused Sun’s camp of contacting drug testers in an attempt to influence their testimonies."

Sun Yang has consistently flouted the rules and blatantly destroyed his blood samples. He has since then tried to intimidate and pressure all and sundry involved. l have no doubt that he is dodgy as all heck and thought himself untouchable. Being banned for eight years sounds about right to me for this arrogant piece of ■■■■.

1 Like

Local motocross ride has copped a decent whack. Fair list of charges though!

Some flawed logic in interviews on tiday’s Ticket program.
Tygart of USDA points to the World Athetetics Integrity Unit as an exemplar.

• With Howman and Clothier in charge and questions about who gets tested/investigated ?

Someone promoting the National Sports Tribunal referred to problems of perception in regard to appointments of panelists to sports tribunals

• nothing to say about appointments of CAS panelists, owned by the IOC, which funds 50% of WADA?
2 Likes

Blood samples weren’t destroyed

1 Like

News reports have consistently claimed that he smashed the vials of his blood samples.

The seal on the box containing the vials was smashed . The vials are intact, but not held by Doping Control. Tampering to that extent .
There has been some sensationalism in the reporting, including the previous offence… It was a substance for which his doctor neglected to obtain a TUE. The substance was later removed from the WADA list , established that it did not have performance enhancing effects.
A Tracey Holmes summary of the facts is up on the ABC site.

5 Likes

Yep, sorry state of journalism getting worse all the time. Thanks for the correction.

1 Like