Star Wars,Rise of Skywalker FULL SPOILERS!

The originals had just as many plot holes. They weren't air tight movies, they were fun. TFA was fun.

Plot holes is not what frustrated me, they remade a new Hope, that’s what frustrated me.

From everything I’ve read that’s what everyone who’s leaving with a positive view of the movie liked about it.

Well there is no hope for me then, change my user name to ebenezer for the duration of the holiday period.

I think Rey is Luke’s daughter, she is small, a natural pilot and Luke’s light sabre calls to her. Her upbringing is similar to Luke’s, not knowing who she is. She wanted to wait for someone to return to her home planet, but she was told by the seer lady the someone is not coming, but instead that there is someone out there to go and find. She is the one who the clues to Luke’s whereabouts find her and she finds Luke at the end. Maybe that is the plan of her coming to Luke all along, he did have to find Yoda.

She could be Luke’s, she could be Leia’s, hopefully not both, but her and Luke’s destiny are intertwined.If you think about it the franchise could be called “The Skywalker’s”, it is a family affair. , it would have been and interesting twist for Han to turn into Hannah, and take on the universe, but I suppose he preferred to bow out and leave it in the hands of the younger Skywalkashians.

Rey being lukes daughter seems the most obvious explanation. Not having been to real jedi school himself he didn’t get the lessons about not forming attachments etc so it is conceivable that he had a relationship and that the child’s birth mother then hid her because she didn’t want her to follow the jedi path. i also wouldn’t rule out ben solo actually being luke’s son that han and leia adopted which would go some way to explaining his strained relationship with his adopted father.

regardless i’d love to see mara jade at least referenced, the old expanded universe deserves a small homage.

I hope she’s just some random from the middle of the desert, but it’s fairly obvious she’s not. I’m pretty sure I heard Kylo Ren’s voice in the flashback of her being left behind on Jakku, but I have no idea how that would be possible he was there.

It’s just that Luke being in a relationship and having a daughter is such a massive deal in the context of a major character, and it’d feel like a cheat if she just showed up without us getting to see her mum at all.

I hope she's just some random from the middle of the desert, but it's fairly obvious she's not. I'm pretty sure I heard Kylo Ren's voice in the flashback of her being left behind on Jakku, but I have no idea how that would be possible he was there.

It’s just that Luke being in a relationship and having a daughter is such a massive deal in the context of a major character, and it’d feel like a cheat if she just showed up without us getting to see her mum at all.

Wasn’t Anakin immaculately conceived in Phantom Menace? Perhaps Luke gave birth to Rei.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibp91MsmMe0

It was pretty much what I expected which is disappointing. I was worried right from the first release of the "new xwing" pic that it was going to rely too heavily on homage and i think it did.

Basically, It failed to surpeise me.

I’d been joking for weeks that they were going to kill han. I don’t think they earned that death but they did it anyway.

They telegraphed ren’s ancestry in the opening scene. The big reveal fell felt.

This movie was at its best when it was doing its own thing and focusing on Rey and fin but boy did I roll my eyes when the falcon just happened to be parked there. And while that led to the best action seen in the film from that moment on the film pandered to me rather than challenged me.

They have basically remade a new Hope and consequently I felt it was more like a remake/reboot than the next chapter in a continuing saga. This sense was probably exacerbated by the total absence of the new republic (what did they achieve in rotj again?). As a consequence the film lacked any real sense of jeopardy because you knew where it would end.

The Leia han relationship felt completely glossed over and sure it isn’t meant to be their story but by not understanding that relationship and their relationship with their son it meant han’s murder lacked any serious gravity.

It was star wars greatest hits and I wanted something bold and challenging.

In many respects I feel the brave move would have been to remake empire first and start on a downer with ren’s fall and destruction of the academy. It could have used the time to explore han’s relationship with Leia and his son. It could have set up the new republic and what it was relative to the first order and explored its ties to the resistance. Better understanding the new politics of the galaxy would have done a lot to create a sense of jeopardy in this movie which was otherwise lacking.

I’m not entirely sold on the casting of driver and thought hux was far too young to be cast as a general. Ridley and boyega nail their roles though.

My final beef is that score was a real let down but it did give me my biggest smile when it hit on an old cue when the saber chose Rey (on that, when did sabers become wands).

In many ways this film has a lot uncommon with into darkness, it is basically a remake with a few tweaks. It’s going to take all the dollars and it seems to be making people happy, I wanted it to surprise me and grip me but I can’t say it did either.

That said I still want to know more about snoke and Rey and am left hoping that the second film will stand on its own feet more. It is also has the prequels well covered.

I disagree with almost all of this, and as much as I understand its all a matter of opinion, I cant understand how the hell they could have done it any better. Calling them out on the ages of characters is nothing more than nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Was it as good as the old ones? Probably not. But I reckon they frigging nailed it.

The Leia han relationship felt completely glossed over and sure it isn’t meant to be their story but by not understanding that relationship and their relationship with their son it meant han’s murder lacked any serious gravity.

I’ve been excited about this movie since it was announced, and if they spent a longer time exploring the relationship between Leia and Han than what they did, I would have been seriously ticked off. It’s Star Wars, I want to see Light Sabres, lasers, bit of humour, planet destroying weapons, the Force being used and a heaps of awesome ships. Not 'lets find out the humanity of where it all fell apart for Han and Leia and how it emotionally affected their only son".

Freak me, watch Kramer Vs Kramer if you want that sort of storyline.

It was pretty much what I expected which is disappointing. I was worried right from the first release of the "new xwing" pic that it was going to rely too heavily on homage and i think it did.

Basically, It failed to surpeise me.

I’d been joking for weeks that they were going to kill han. I don’t think they earned that death but they did it anyway.

They telegraphed ren’s ancestry in the opening scene. The big reveal fell felt.

This movie was at its best when it was doing its own thing and focusing on Rey and fin but boy did I roll my eyes when the falcon just happened to be parked there. And while that led to the best action seen in the film from that moment on the film pandered to me rather than challenged me.

They have basically remade a new Hope and consequently I felt it was more like a remake/reboot than the next chapter in a continuing saga. This sense was probably exacerbated by the total absence of the new republic (what did they achieve in rotj again?). As a consequence the film lacked any real sense of jeopardy because you knew where it would end.

It was star wars greatest hits and I wanted something bold and challenging.

In many respects I feel the brave move would have been to remake empire first and start on a downer with ren’s fall and destruction of the academy. It could have used the time to explore han’s relationship with Leia and his son. It could have set up the new republic and what it was relative to the first order and explored its ties to the resistance. Better understanding the new politics of the galaxy would have done a lot to create a sense of jeopardy in this movie which was otherwise lacking.

I’m not entirely sold on the casting of driver and thought hux was far too young to be cast as a general. Ridley and boyega nail their roles though.

My final beef is that score was a real let down but it did give me my biggest smile when it hit on an old cue when the saber chose Rey (on that, when did sabers become wands).

In many ways this film has a lot uncommon with into darkness, it is basically a remake with a few tweaks. It’s going to take all the dollars and it seems to be making people happy, I wanted it to surprise me and grip me but I can’t say it did either.

That said I still want to know more about snoke and Rey and am left hoping that the second film will stand on its own feet more. It is also has the prequels well covered.

I disagree with almost all of this, and as much as I understand its all a matter of opinion, I cant understand how the hell they could have done it any better. Calling them out on the ages of characters is nothing more than nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Was it as good as the old ones? Probably not. But I reckon they frigging nailed it.

they could have made a new movie instead of remaking A New Hope for a start.

there was a lot to like about the movie, it looked great, the actors did their jobs, there are some genuinely good new characters to work with, and it certainly didn’t fall flat like the prequels i just wanted to be surprised a bit and i wasn’t.

in some respects its a pretty tough gig to write a compelling, tight, original screenplay these days when your audience in spoilt by fantastic long form story telling that exists in modern television. Even so i would hope a movie could do more than move its characters from point A to point B in almost exactly the same way they did it nearly 40 years earlier.

Maybe i’m asking for too much to have started with the down fall of ben solo and no doubt avoiding that allows them to tease the mystery of what happened to luke but even so there surely was a way to make ‘a find luke’ movie or a get the intel to leia movie without having to do a death star trench run. Off the top of my head something like the battlestar galactica (reboot) episode 33 could have been amazing and something that star wars has never done before.

i will see this film again at some point and i’ll try and watch it for what it is rather than what it isn’t.

I think you did yourself a disservice going in with such a narrow expectation of what they were going to (or what you thought they should) do.

If you really liked the originals, you just had to like this. And again if they didn’t do what you wanted yet, Disney will make sure they’ll do it eventually. We’ll be getting SW by the barrel full for the next decade.

I get where Ivan is coming from.
I’m a huge fan and always have been.
When I left the cinema late last night I was very conflicted about how I rated the flick.
Obviously it’s way better than the prequels.
I think 24 hours after I reflect on it I’ve come to the understanding as much as I’d like to write my own story for Star Wars and what should be in the movie and what shouldn’t I’ve just got to let go and go with the flow.
The movie is a winner and I can’t ask much more than that.
Come to the realisation it was ■■■■■■ good.

This movie was at its best when it was doing its own thing and focusing on Rey and fin but boy did I roll my eyes when the falcon just happened to be parked there.

And just on this, not sure there were many eye rolls in the cinema but there was a pretty audible cheer from most of the place when they saw the Falcon.

Man I cant understand how you could not enjoy that movie and have it take you back to your childhood. When I saw the Falcon I let out a decent YEE HAAA!!!

I think you did yourself a disservice going in with such a narrow expectation of what they were going to (or what you thought they should) do.

If you really liked the originals, you just had to like this. And again if they didn’t do what you wanted yet, Disney will make sure they’ll do it eventually. We’ll be getting SW by the barrel full for the next decade.

Actually I went in with zero expectations, deliberately tried to keep them low. I was just hoping to see something new. It’s after having seen that I have started to think about what they could have done.

Maybe my mistake was, being on paternity leave, watching the original trilogy on Wednesday

Spot on. Over the next decade you will see all sorts of different star wars stoylines, especially with some of the standalone films.

The thing i loved about this one was the paid respect to the originals but also did something new and created their own story and characters. Having one of the new storm troopers turn good guy was a great idea.

Fin and Rey were the highlights of this movie with doubt I just wish they’d put them in something that wasn’t a remake but I’m laboring the point.

I loved it!

When my favourite bands release new albums I’m always satisfied if it’s mostly like their previous work, and maybe a little bit new.

I loved Fin and Rey but Chewie was the highlight of the movie for me.
The Wookie was very funny.

Was a great movie, not greatest of all time, but very good and satisfying. I’d rank it top 3, whether for me it’s #2 or #3 will require multiple viewings (Empire is obviously #1).

I pretty much disagree with everything ivan has said about the movie.

I thought the casting was spot on and Oscar Isaac was one of the more interesting and entertaining characters of the movie with his humor and badassary in piloting. I feel he could really take the reigns of Han Solo in the remaining two movies with the humor and wit he exudes from his character, his humour when Kylo Ren is about to torture him reeks of old Han. Harrison Ford himself played Han perfectly one last time and looks pretty good for an old guy I must say, and Mark Hamill actually rocked the beard well even if it was for just 3 seconds of the movie. Was kinda hoping for more, but I understand it. Less said about Carie Fisher the better but she did her job well enough and watching her was the only time in the movie I felt that acting was any less than sublime. Both Finn and Rey were magnificently acted and deserve massive props because both were excellent. Everything about the acting is a million miles better than the prequels, and we thankfully say we’ll never have to hear another “I don’t like sand” speech from Anakin like George Lucas gave us.

I thought Kylo Ren was a fantastic villian as were the light-saber battles. Felt a lot like the original style duels, as opposed to the extremely over-choreographed fights of the prequels (or the hilariously bad Anakin v Dooku fight from Attack of the Clones). These were very raw fights and it’s fair to say Kylo still has a long way to go. They felt like inexperienced jedi/siths fighting which holds up to the fact that Kylo is still young and untrained for the most part, so to see him be perfect with the saber is unrealistic. Also not seeing a million backflips was a nice welcome change.

The humor in the movie was a fantastic surprise. Not in a Jar Jar way, but actually genuinely funny and sat very well with me. Coming into the movie I also had a bad feeling about BB8 being a silly droid but I was very surprised with how damn cute it was and made me chuckle numerous times (ecspecially the thumbs up flame part). I can definitiley see the next movie being about Luke training Rey, and Snoke training Kylo Ren.

Only things I could say were drawbacks from the movie was C3PO’s red arm (which felt tacked on for the sake of it) and how very sudden the attack on the Starkiller base came and it didn’t feel like a huge deal when they destroyed it, more of a “hey good job now what’s for dinner” feel. Some of reveals also seemed glossed over in casual sentences. But that’s just nitpicking for the sake of it. Lots of unaswered questions. Basically the entire First Order took a gigantic hit with a majority of their forces destroyed on the planet, it’ll be hard to recover from that… Most interesting to me is the Supreme Leader Snoke. 30 feet tall and has knowledge of the force. Be very interested to see how his story pans out. If he has a light-saber it must be huge.

Overall great movie, JJ can relax now.