Star Wars,Rise of Skywalker FULL SPOILERS!

Perhaps te parents thing is a lie.

I didnā€™t think there was an outcomeā€¦

I could get inboard with the Finn and Rise story line if I didnā€™t wonder how the hell they got away.

And similarly with Rey turning up at the end.

Either I had a microsleep, or they just decided to leave it out because it was all too long.

Leia in space

At first I like wtf but then some told me that she would have used some kind of Force shiled to protect her self so Iā€™m ok with that scene now.

ā€˜Theyā€™re nobodiesā€™ doesnā€™t really tell us who they are.
In fact I had more questions leaving the cinema about Reyā€™s background than when I entered. Your right, the force awakens built up the questions. Then their were a few things in this movie that had me asking more questions.

1. Luke wanting to know who she is and where she comes from. Something which wasnā€™t really answered.

2. The mirror scene. I think there is more in the fact that she saw herself, than everyone is making out. What does it mean? Whoā€™s knows.

3. Kylo Ren saying that her parents are nobodies. It doesnā€™t tell us anything. They are somebody. Probably nobody that would satisfy the fans, but there should be a back story of the family.

Then you have a bunch of stuff thrown into the Force Awakens which means nothing now? Doubtful.

Maybe they just couldnā€™t explain why they felt disappointed, and this one clearly has funnier moments than the others.

I quite liked it, humourous and cringeworthy moments alike.
Luke started out as a sooky hermit and ended up as some super space wizard!! Lukeā€™s power at the end was (fucking) awesome!
Leia annoyed me, especially taking a nap at a very important time, after her unique use of the force.
Rey, Ren and Snoke was an epic and unexpected battle scene.

I was happy with it, and the kids will come around. Iā€™ll take them to see it in 3D next week.

Its weird i found this one had maybe 4-5 funny moments at best, the rest just felt really forced.

whereas TFA had the rey/fin dynamic which created a lot of fun moments. BB8 and Rey. Plus you had Han who had very fun moments with everyone. Finn without Han or Rey to interact with came off as very bland. Finnā€™s story in the film just felt like it was put in to give his character something to do, didnt really add to the overall story.

The whole Purple lady character arc just came off as weird.(was that the lady from Jurassic park, she looked really familiar)

Felt weird after Snoke was madeout to be a massive powerful baddie , that he didnt sense Ren was moving the sabre. (i was fully expecting him to be a Hologram when Rens saber went to kill him)

So badly wanted to see one last Luke lightsabre fight

1 Like

there was one.

Got home from seeing it, loved it and canā€™t really believe that it has caused so much angst. Making/directing any movie that is ā€˜cultā€™ film even before it is released is nearly an impossible task but I thought TLJ managed it perfectly.

TFA was a great film but felt too much like a reboot of A new hopeā€¦ so I love that we have gone in a completely different direction. I love the maturity of exploring good/bad, light/dark without actually ever saying one is better/worse than the otherā€¦

I loved the film angles and homage to previous films and thought it was good to see Leia actually do something ā€˜force likeā€™ā€¦ even if it came off a bit laughable and naff in the end. I never understood why she wouldnā€™t have trained with luke and used her Skywalker blood to help rebuild the Jedi/Republic.

Agree that we could have completely scrapped the Finn/Rose subplotā€¦ that kinda felt like it was there for visuals and nothing else.

It seems like they are fighting to try and kill off force aware charactersā€¦ or to steer it away from the Skywalker dramaā€¦ and yet the most powerful moments of the movie ALL (perhaps early space battle aside) came from the central themes of the force. The Luke story arc was different but ultimately quite powerful and explored the deeper aspect of the realities of Lukes lack of trainingā€¦ and the scenes with Yoda were funny but prophetic imho.

I love that they killed off snokeā€¦ the byplay between Ren and Hux is far more entertaining and FINALLY was have a dark force wielder openly at the helmā€¦ although it will be interesting to see how long before Hux betrays him and attempts to seize power.

Above all else, I came out of the film feeling like we could go anywhere with this galaxy. The resistance/rebel alliance is at ground zeroā€¦ we have the main pieces all set up and in playā€¦ love or hate themā€¦ the next generation has taken chargeā€¦ the final scene when Poe leads them out of the base was moving and finished that leadership arc nicely. I canā€™t wait to see where the adventure goes nowā€¦

8 Likes

I wonā€™t commit to what i think until ivan has trashed it.

2 Likes

Spot on.

1 Like

I for one loved it. Lots of negative comments on here so I will try to address most of them with my interpretations of what I saw.

There were complaints about the humour. WTF! The first Star Wars movie was built on the back of humour. The by-play between Hans and Chewy, Han and Obi-Wan, Han and Leia, Christ Hans and everyone. To me, the flick of dirt from Lukeā€™s shoulder was homage to Hans, it is the sort of thing he would have done.

To the Finn/Rose subplot, this was the movie that transformed Finn from a fringe dweller to a major player. In TFA he was just a scared man looking for a way out. In TLJ he finally discovers he has balls and becomes a genuine active participant. It is Rose that makes him re-evaluate his motivation. While her declaration of love for him is maybe a bit premature, she was the key to unlocking his future.

Leia and her ā€˜space thingā€™. We have always known that Leia was strong in the force, she just hadnā€™t had the training in it by the end of RoTJ. It would be unrealistic to expect that she hadnā€™t received some basic instruction from Luke in the intervening years. Are Jedi capable of surviving for short periods of time in open space? Who knows. Nothing we have seen in the previous movies said they could, but likewise nothing has said they couldnā€™t.

Snoke and his short appearance and lack of awareness. While a more detailed background on Snoke would have been nice, it wasnā€™t needed. His role in the movie was the facilitation of the mind link between Rey and Ren. It was this that ultimately allowed Rey to look at the dark side and reject it. He provided her with a fictional image of Renā€™s future, one she invested in, and when, after defeating Snoke, Ren urged her to stand beside him and rule it all, she felt he was betraying the promise her vision of his future gave her and had to reject it if she wanted to maintain any hope he would follow the future she sawā€¦ As for Ren and the light sabre that ultimately did him in, this was a demonstration of the growth of Renā€™s power. He was able to mask his higher thoughts from Snoke while allowing his baser emotions to be read.

Elements of this film pay homage to TESB, from the base with trenches to the flight from one base to another. Luke on Dagobah with Yoda, Rey on Ahch-To with Luke. Finn and Rose on Canto Bight with DJ, Hans and Leia on Bespin with Lando Calrissian, Lukes fight with Darth, Lukes fight with Ren.

There has been much criticism of Vice Admiral Amylin Holdo aka purple haired lady. Poe did the Hans bit, hotheaded and incautious, accusing her of being a coward and a traitor. We all know that would never be the case with that high a ranking rebel leader. She was a hero in her own right and her actions when all looked lost gave rise to possibly the greatest single scene in the Star Wars universe, taking out half the First Order fleet taking the ship to light speed.

Luke dying parallels his own mentors passing, with Obi-Wan going the same way when fighting Vader. He will now join the ranks of Yoda, Anakin and Obi-Wan as a ā€œForce Ghostā€ one would expect.

Everyone seems to be disappointed by Renā€™s revelation that Reyā€™s parents were nobodies. This may be true, which would be no different to Anakin Skywalker. After all, there has never been any canon in the Star Wars universe that says a Force user had to be the offspring of another force user. It is just as likely that Ren was not telling the truth, but was using that information to manipulate her, preventing her from seeking out her parents.

The direction of the movie was pretty clear from my point of view. They have cleaned out the old guard, no-one but Chewy, Leia, C3PO and R2D2 remain from the original movie and we all know now that Leia wonā€™t be back. This allows the franchise the space to jump forward ten to fifteen years, having Rey as The Last Jedi (she had all the Jedi books on the Falcon), instructing young Force users in the use of the Force, while Poe, Finn, Rose and Chewy become the new rebel leadership, rebuilding numbers to allow them to once again challenge the First Order, while Ren will finally fill that role as the new Vader, but this time he will have total power instead of answering to someone else.

This was everything I have come to expect of Star Wars movie. I have seen every one on release in a cinema/drive-in over the last 40 odd years and it sits well alongside TESB, RO and Star Wars (refuse to call it A New Hope).

7 Likes

Enjoyed it. Going again Tuesday. Makes me want to watch other Star Wars movies. Might watch RO or TFA this weekend.

1 Like

Iā€™m on the fence. I can see why people loved it, but I didnā€™t have that ā€˜jumping out of my seatā€™ feeling afterwards.

• having the plot AGAIN revolve around Kylos light/dark conflict I thought was silly. Didnā€™t we already do this in the last movie and wasnā€™t it basically decided when he killed Han? I understand that they are trying to make more complex characters but to be honest, I donā€™t really care about that in the context of a Star Wars movie. I want good guys, and bad guys.
  • I didnā€™t like Luke throwing the lightsaber away in the first scene. Bit of a slap in the face to the audience to build up an epic moment for years and have it be nothing.
  • it was definitely a half hour too long. I had a ā€œoh itā€™s still going?ā€ moment when they reached the ice planet which I didnā€™t have in any other Star Wars movie.
  • loved the Yoda appearance, and especially loved that it was poxy puppet Yoda rather than fancy CGI Yoda.
  • I liked the funny bits. Its a silly fantasy movie, itā€™s not supposed to be serious.
  • the music didnā€™t really grab me like it did in the other movies, even TFA and RO (this is absolutely my main criticism, and I think the reason why I didnā€™t get that ā€œstarwarsy feelingā€.
  • nothing about who Snoke was, what his motivations were, nothing?
  • Reys parents. I think that was a good outcome, not at all what I expected.
  • sometimes creepy but mainly unintentionally hilarious Nazi bad guy man was the best thing about the movie. I love that guy.
  • it was really different (this is good).
  • it was maybe too different (this is not good).

Iā€™ll see it again but for the moment Iā€™m torn.

6 Likes

The light speed moment was awesome. You could hear everyone in the cinema draw breath.

I really donā€™t think anything was decided about Reyā€™s parents. I thought Ren was clearly withholding whatever he knew.

Some good moments, some disappointing moments (Leia as Mary Poppins was terrible)

I look forward to the scrolling text prior to Ep9.

1 Like

Yeah I barely remember any music at all

I want a po origins story.

I just watch star wars for space fights and light sabres.

1 Like

I watch it for good vs evil
They are normally fun films to watch
Light sabre fights
Big battles
Nostalgia

There were good moments (i.e yoda) and the score/visuals were cool but itā€™s the only Star Wars film I have no desire to rewatch.

It lacked depth.

Yes I understand Star Wars has always had its light hearted moments and humour in it but this was forced.

For the length of the film there was far too much too much talking without revealing anything of worth.

For those of us crazy enough to have watched all the Clone Wars cartoons there was so much unsaid for so much talking.

The lightsaber throw was ridiculous.
The Canto Blight act was appalling.
Rose sucks and was such a token. Her forced relationship with Finn was neighbours screenplay worthy.
Poeā€™s pretty forgettable and is a poor mans Han.
Why even have Phasma or Snoke in the movies for all of 4 minutes of screen time for no character development?

Daisy Ridley is such a stiff actress. Sheā€™s got nothing on a young Fisher. Sheā€™s not as annoying as Portman but sheā€™s pretty close.

Hux, Ren & Snoke are really the only new characters that are worthy of screen time and then bang, Snoke is gone.

I didnā€™t mind TFA for what it was. A shinny rehash. It set this film up to have everything for the old, the middle and new fans alike.
But TLJ is a slap in the face to many of us in the ā€˜oldā€™ category.

Iā€™m not saying I had an issue with Luke being a broken man, it was just a forgettable movie. So many fan theories were far more interesting scripts.

FFS when do we concern ourselves with how much fuel we neee in a Star Wars film?
The plot was so flawed. One second Kylo is chocking Hux to what looks like death and next minute they standing next to each other having a chat.

Lorna Derns character was pointless. So stiff and pointless.

Del toroā€™s was better.

I get the milk was a homage to Luke in ANH but of all the things us fanboys wanted were not alien animal ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– .

Iā€™m pretty guttered to be honest.

Iā€™ve never been in the screw Lucas or screw J.J Abrams category. Iā€™ve always found something to love about each film. There was enough, even in those that had some poor dialogue or over the top CGI.

This just felt hallow and stripped too much of the cool mythology out the entire trilogy.
To have an untrained young woman be all powerful is insulting to all the hours of training so many canon Jedi put in (Ashoka etc).

Yeah I get Anikan and Luke could fly well prior to training but this chick is Bruce Lee and Mr Miyagi like without a minutes training. Itā€™s PC pandering BS and wasnā€™t fun. It was a sub par marvel movie at best

5 Likes

Yeah I need pre-ā€œlessons learnedā€ Po. Just give me Star Wars: Top Gun.