Steven motlop

I’d take him for nothing.
At his best he’s way better than Green and probably Colyer too.
Is his head in the right place, has he looked after himself, no. If the club thought they could get him right he could be a huge bargain.

2 Likes

Has missed about 10 games in the 6 seasons since since he first broke into the side in 2012. In generally pretty strong sides. Might be traded, won’t be delisted.

Is a free agent isn’t he?

2 Likes

Yes.

Thought he’d be a good +1. So if we’d got Rocky/Kelly, then adding Motlop for more midfield depth at no picks cost would make sense. Not sure it does on his own.

Can Motlop take an overhead mark?

I’m always suspicious of a forward who never takes an overhead mark…it sets off a siren in my head blaring ‘squib’.

At this point I’ll take anyone.

3 Likes

Yup.
They still might prefer to trade than let him go FA, depending on what else they do (like us with monfries). Or letting some FAs go might be their best ticket back into the draft.

point is there’s no need to trade for him. Cats will get a compensation pick based on his contract offer.

1 Like

Can clubs stop taking Sydney, Hawthorn, GWS and Geelong’s junk to help free up their cap and improve their draft positions?

1 Like

It depends on a few other factors.

He certainly finds a home, inconsistent, lazy, not overly endowed with courage but he has played a heap of footy in a really good side and been a good contributor. 172 goals and 82 goal assists in a 130 games says he is a fair player and at 26 still has a bit to offer.

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve seen him fumble it half the length of the 50m line. Yes Trav I’m looking at you.

Still don’t want him. He’s one of the few reasons I can still bag Cats fans.

Josh green has been handy this year but there’s not doubt Motlop is a fair upgrade on him and can go through the midfield.

Consistency is the issue but certainly worth consideration imo.

1 Like

Concur.

Wasn’t it noted that part of his issue was lack of other indigenous players / support network at Cats.

Be interesting to see if he does move and the club he goes to is much stronger in that area. Port Adelaide have already been linked to him.

I’d love to have him at club TBH. His form is patchy sometimes for sure as an outside mid but he is devastating when in form. What we wish Colyer could do more than once a year.

2 Likes

What’s the consensus re consistency green vs motlop?

No,

Quite a few judgemental people on here I reckon.

He hasn’t missed many games for cats over the years. That suggests he isn’t a complete basket case.

And he is a very talented footballer who I suspect will be a bargain for whomever picks him up.

So certainly not adverse to picking him up on a responsible deal.

1 Like

If he’s so good why don’t Geelong want him?

1 Like

Exactly, A few years ago I would have said yes in a heartbeat. But he has been poor for 2 years.

2 Likes