Stringer Thread II - 10,000 posts was Not Enough

And Big Red if he gets fit

1 Like

Yep, totally agree.

Big Red has his detractors at the moment and rightly so, but Iā€™m confident he will turn it around.

Big Red is a free hit in a lot of ways now. We bat very deep for talent now so if even just one or two of our young guys step up to become guns we will be unstoppable.

Pitched a tent at that 1min22sec burstā€¦

1 Like

I still hope he can become that big bodied midfielder that we want. His aggression and explosiveness is what sets him apart from others like Langford and LAV.

1 Like

Yeah we have quite a bit of talent now and this makes me very happy.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a big difference in the games they are calling - T20 there is so much going on, little time for thier BS. Could you imagine how many times weā€™d hear about Warne dropping that hat-trick ball if Flem commentated on Tests?

The VFL guy who did a few off-broadway AFL games late in the year was great. Well researched, straight forward, lets the game speak for itself. Cannot remember his name for the life of me.

4 Likes

These days heā€™s the main commentator on the regional network (Hutchisonā€™s thing).
Thinks heā€™s a star; believes his own bath water.

Jason Bennet

5 Likes

Jason Bennett? Excellent commentator. Old school, no hyperbole.

9 Likes

Off season is too long, should only be a month with trade and drafting being over 2 weeks.

i want a 40 round season with 4 byes and a finals series.

I still like him as that floating backman.

Itā€™s a very important role and it suits his athletic attributes.

The two best things I saw at VFL level both involved Franga and were both in the same game against Footscray at Whitten Oval.

The first involved him kicking the ball out on the full around the 50 mtr area in our defence. He was so filthy with himself that when the guy kicked it back into the forward 50 and over his head he ran back with the flight and did not take his eyes off the ball the whole time. He took the mark but got cleaned up by the oncoming pack and couldnā€™t get up for a couple of minutes and somebody else had to take the kick for him. I swear that he wanted to get cleaned up just to punish himself for making the mistake. He has ticker!

The second was him attacking the ball at our defensive 50 and winning it among a group of players and kicking a flat punt kick 50 or 60 meters to our forward 50 and hitting a team mate lace out. The ball mustnā€™tā€™ have went more than 5 meters in the air. Very few players could make that kick and he did it with ease.

He has issues with application currently but talent is no problem at all.

5 Likes

At the risk of clogging up the silence I repeat this.

1 Like

It is crazy when you watch it. Has the size, strength and acceleration of the very best. Could be one of the very elite players.

1 Like

Shame so many of his highlights are in front of empty seats.

He will lose his mind when he hears the Essendon army roar at his goals. Get ready for it.

Also I donā€™t mind giving him #5. Why not, just do it.

1 Like

Geez. Hadnā€™t watched that previously. A couple of things:

1. Yes freakshow - skillful and a beast.

2. He can play midfield. Maybe not all game. But swapping in and out of the midfield/forward line with some of our other players is going to be great.

3. Geez, WB have some ugly looking jumpers.

2 Likes

Jake Stringer finally lands at Essendon after Western Bulldogs accept picks 25 and 30

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
October 19, 2017 6:14pm
Subscriber only

JAKE Stringer believes he can emulate Dustin Martinā€™s remarkable feats and become a midfield star for Essendon.

The mercurial Bulldogs premiership player finally found his way to the Bombers, capping a stunning trade period haul for the Dons.

But while Devon Smith and Adam Saad are A-grade characters, Stringer has baggage that includes former gambling issues and infidelity to his estranged partner Abby Gilmore.

His manager Robbie Dā€™Orazio told the Herald Sun the 23-year-old, secured for picks 25 and 30, had a ā€œpoint to proveā€.

ā€œHe is extremely ready. He had a point to prove now, not only to himself but the entire footy world,ā€ Dā€™Orazio said.

ā€œHe wants to be a midfielder, he thinks he has the capabilities to be the next Dusty.

ā€œIf you look at Dustin Martin they are the same age, similar roles. Dustin has become the best player in the competition so whether he can reach those heights is up to Jake.

ā€œIt is a big call but he thinks he can do it.ā€

Stringer knows he must improve his tank to be a regular midfielder rather than a forward who makes cameos up the ground.

He also needs to change perceptions that he is a lad who spends too much time partying and not enough caring about making himself an elite footballer.

ā€œYou will hear from Jake talking about becoming a better person off the field which will excite Essendon fans because he will also be a better player on it,ā€ Dā€™Orazio said.

ā€œHe has definitely got a point to prove and heā€™s excited by it and heā€™s driven.

ā€œSpeaking to him just then heā€™s ready to go for a run in New York and heā€™s ready to go.ā€

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro said the club was confident it had not inherited a basket case.

ā€œWe have had some honest dialogue with Jake. He has been upfront with all the issues. We have spoken to as many people as we possibly can,ā€ he said.

ā€œHe has some work to do but we think we have got the support and infrastructure around him so we can get the very best out of him for many years to come.ā€

12 Likes

Theyā€™ve done something we havenā€™t managed to in the past 13 years and that is to win finals. Hell they even managed to win a final when they werenā€™t even good enough to qualify for the finals. ā– ā– ā– ā–  you AFL, ASADA and especially ā– ā– ā– ā–  Carlton.

3 Likes

Next Dusty. Interesting.

Just no neck tats plez

If he plays like dusty IDGAF