Tac/u18 Thread

I don’t want to become some weird McCluggage truther, but here he is standing right next to Korewha, who’s 192cm

(Actually posting this to remind everyone how amazing Korewha’s hair is, highlight of the U18s carnival for mine. Kind of shaved mullet/super rats tail.)

How Huge is Hugh?

What did Scully do which McCluggage hasn't, let alone Melksham? Morrish Medal in 10 games Vic Country MVP Avg 29 poss and 2.1 goals a game Games : 11 TAC cup, 4 vic Country, 2 vs VFL, 1 vs All Stars, 18 games all up, he was named in the best players in 17 of them.

4 goals vs the All Stars
2 goals vs Werribee VFL
1 goal vs Geelong VFL
3 goals vs Vic Metro
3 goals vs South Australia

McCluggage has eclipsed nearly every season we have ever seen from a midfielder coming through the under 18 draft year.
This level of performance is the best I have ever seen.

Agree.
People keep trying to find holes in McCluggage’s game. There isn’t any.
The only thing they can find is; “he’s an outside midfielder”.

Which just isn’t correct. He’s got an inside game which is very silky, just like the rest of his game.

For me,

The only reason why I don’t want Clug for pick 1 is that I don’t think his form will translate into afl.
For me I think his height and maybe pace is the reason why he won’t be as dominate in the afl. Weight will be an issue too for the first couple of years. You can compare him with him Parish but Darc is an exception since he’s super inside the packs.
I think his ceiling is a more outside Robbie Gray…that’s not bad but I want someone with a more inside game like Taranto or Brodie…Ains as well, these boys I reckon will have more impact in the afl than Cluggie.

just my opinion.

Serious question, what’s the concern with his height? He’s 185cm. I mean, it’s no Bont, but it’s pretty much standard size for a midfielder. 6cm taller than McGrath and Ainsworth, same height as Taranto.

185? I reckon there’s a bit of mayo in that. He looks closer to 180.

What did Scully do which McCluggage hasn't, let alone Melksham? Morrish Medal in 10 games Vic Country MVP Avg 29 poss and 2.1 goals a game Games : 11 TAC cup, 4 vic Country, 2 vs VFL, 1 vs All Stars, 18 games all up, he was named in the best players in 17 of them.

4 goals vs the All Stars
2 goals vs Werribee VFL
1 goal vs Geelong VFL
3 goals vs Vic Metro

McCluggage has eclipsed nearly every season we have ever seen from a midfielder coming through the under 18 draft year.

Agree.

Which just isn’t correct. He’s got an inside game which is very silky, just like the rest of his game.

For me,

The only reason why I don’t want Clug for pick 1 is that I don’t think his form will translate into afl.
For me I think his height and maybe pace is the reason why he won’t be as dominate in the afl. Weight will be an issue too for the first couple of years. You can compare him with him Parish but Darc is an exception since he’s super inside the packs.
I think his ceiling is a more outside Robbie Gray…that’s not bad but I want someone with a more inside game like Taranto or Brodie…Ains as well, these boys I reckon will have more impact in the afl than Cluggie.

just my opinion.

Serious question, what’s the concern with his height? He’s 185cm. I mean, it’s no Bont, but it’s pretty much standard size for a midfielder. 6cm taller than McGrath and Ainsworth, same height as Taranto.

Doubt it. Pretty sure it is checked at the combine so no point lying about it.

4 goals vs the All Stars
2 goals vs Werribee VFL
1 goal vs Geelong VFL
3 goals vs Vic Metro

Agree.

For me,

just my opinion.

Not really when you see him next to other players i think he could stop growing around 188 to 190 one last spurt like langford

4 goals vs the All Stars
2 goals vs Werribee VFL
1 goal vs Geelong VFL
3 goals vs Vic Metro

Agree.

For me,

just my opinion.

If his height and pace are your only concerns then Clug should be a shoo-in. He’s not short and he’s not slow. Point of comparison he’s clearly taller than Parish, and probably got an edge in speed too. As for his weight, he’ll add to it. I have no concerns whatsoever about any of that.

In fact I don’t have a lot of concerns full stop. I see no reason why he shouldn’t be able to translate his TAC form to the AFL, and I’ve not read a convincing reason yet why he shouldn’t. Granted, the draft can be a lottery, but this is a player lauded by pretty well everyone and who has tracked up great numbers and kicked a stack of goals coming from a mile back, without a pre-season.

Imagine that player in the AFL system being properly developed, putting on muscle, and given a full pre-season. Seriously, I don’t think we can afford not to take him.

Just for the record, what is compelling for me is a stat I haven’t seen recorded anywhere for him, but looks likely to be through the roof given his style of play: metres gained. Players who with run, carry and disposal can gain a lot of metres are worth their weight in gold, and we don’t have many. Add that to his goal kicking he’s an alluring package for mine.

SPS would be a good choice as well.

Underage year - all australian

This year - injury interruption

plus being best for his team (for mine in the all stars game).

SPS looks unreal - without having seen either of them live, I’ve wanted either him or McCluggage all along.

Sort of assumed SPS was a given to be picked by Brissy. Assuming that doesn't happen, what sort of player is he? AFL analogy?

You only need to watch the first 5 minutes of the all star game video above to get an idea.

I don’t know what it us about mcluggage, but I found him impossible to track in general play in that video, he’s nondescript until he pops up kicking goals. SPS is in amongst it all the time though.

The comparison for me is Peter Burgoyne.

It’s probably not ideal, but a smooth moving mid, who might appear a bit outside, until you realise he’s just always getting his hands dirty.

There’s probably a much better and more recent comparison.

Another comparison, not much more recent is Kerr. Maybe it’s the shoulder strapping, or the racism, but he’s that 180cm inside outside player, who isn’t express place, but who is plenty quick enough.

Jarrod Berry:
3rd in Kicking test.
5th in clean hands.

There’s our half back flanker for the next 10 years.

Powell-Pepper bring him in
POW!!

I just got logged out, and came to this thread seeing “new posts”. It took me to Page 1, where HM was scouting players in the 10-15 range for our first pick in 2013. First name mentioned - Lennon.

1/2 way down the page it all goes to cr*p.

Powell-Pepper bring him in POW!!

Still remember that 55m bomb on the run in the all stars game, was unfairly disallowed a goal but it definitely showed what he was capable of.
Would adapt to the physicality of afl football in a hot second.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-08/firstround-prospects-jarrod-berry-oliver-florent-excel-in-combine-beep-test. More combine results im surprised that Ainsworth isn’t top 10 in any of the jumping tests

Looks like McGrath has got a leap on him.

DAY TWO TESTING RESULTS

Beep test
Jarrod Berry (level 15.1)
Oliver Florent (15.1)
Griffin Logue (15.1)
Harry Morrison (14.12)
Dylan Clarke (14.12)
Sam Powell-Pepper (14.7)
Liam Baker (14.5)
Tom Williamson (14.5)
Patrick Lipinski (14.5)
Jordan Gallucci (14.5)

20 metre sprint
Jacob Allison (2.87 seconds)
Ben Ainsworth (2.90)
Josh Rotham (2.92)
Josh Williams (2.93)
Bailey Morrish (2.93)
Taylin Duman (2.93)
Esava Ratugolea (2.93)
Will Hayward (2.94)
Tony Olango (2.94)
Shai Bolton (2.95)

Agility
Tom Williamson (8.15 seconds)
Jack Maibaum (8.19)
Sam Powell-Pepper (8.24)
Harry Morrison (8.26)
Oliver Florent (8.26)
Matt Guelfi (8.29)
Isaac ■■■■■■■ (8.29)
Ben Ainsworth (8.36)
Jack Scrimshaw (8.39)
Andrew McGrath (8.38)

Standing vertical jump
Jordan Gallucci (89cm)
Esava Ratugolea (76)
Will Hayward (73)
Griffin Logue (71)
Bailey Morrish (71)
Shai Bolton (68)
Callum Brown (68)
Josh Rotham (67)
Max Lynch (67)
Jacob Allison (67)
Jack Bowes (67)
Tom Williamson (67)

Running vertical jump (left foot)
Andrew McGrath (96cm)
Shai Bolton (94)
Cameron Zurhaar (92)
Brennan Cox (92)
Tony Olango (91)
Jordan Gallucci (91)
Oliver Florent (90)
Bailey Morrish (90)
Will Hayward (90)
Esava Ratugolea (89)
Tom Williamson (88)
Harry Morrison (88)

Running vertical jump (right foot)
Griffin Logue (91cm)
Bailey Morrish (91)
Esava Ratugolea (89)
Jordan Gallucci (86)
Andrew McGrath (85)
Ben Ainsworth (84)
Tom Williamson (83)
Jack Scrimshaw (83)
Declan Watson (83)
Mitchell Hinge (83)
Jack Bowes (82)

Oliver Florent seems to make a few of those lists. Supposed to fail in the 10-20 range.
What kind of player is he?

Oliver Florent seems to make a few of those lists. Supposed to fail in the 10-20 range. What kind of player is he?

Played mid in the all star game (in the absence of Brodie) and did it well, but apparently didn’t play much mid through the year

Oliver Florent seems to make a few of those lists. Supposed to fail in the 10-20 range. What kind of player is he?

Played mid in the all star game (in the absence of Brodie) and did it well, but apparently didn’t play much mid through the year

Has played mostly half forward and wing in TAC and occasionally of half back to good effect. He has never had as much midfield time as he did in the All Stars game and I was stunned at how well he did. Was at the game live and his talk and positioning in the stoppages was fantastic. He is still mainly an outside player at this stage but if he can work on his inside game he could become one of the best players to come out of this draft. His clean hands at ground level and overhead along with his speed and elusiveness make him a very dangerous player.

Griffin as a first name. That’s not weird