Tac/u18 Thread

Just watched the combine wrap and the few highlights of andy mcgrath look amazing! He is such an exciting and aggressive player!

On those draft camp results, who spelled Gatorade backwards fastest, and how would that improve their football ability?

An ability to think on their feet to answer an unexpected question?

All these kids will be asked the same questions by different clubs and will have well practised (at least by the end of the process) answers. Asking an unexpected (and simple, letā€™s face it) problem could give an indication of a player with a greater aptitude for dealing with challenges on and off a football field without direction from a coach.

They would care whether they got the answer right but theyā€™ll be interested in how they handle trying to work it out under the pressure of an interview.

No answer or attempt to answer at all could show lack of initiative, lack of intelligence, laziness or attitude problem.

Hmm McGrath wants to be a HBF like JJ from the Dogs. I thought he would want to be a midfielder.

I wanted him all along but above is a red flag if we are wanting a midfielder.

Absolutely a red flag and even more obvious when that is where he has played most of his junior footy.

Ratugolea is just too small to ruck at afl level, full stop. His leap means he can compete at centre bounces, but he's just badly outsized at throwins especially where he's less likely to get a run up.

I like him as a development kpp prospect (especially with a 2.93 sec 20m sprint time!) but I donā€™t think heā€™s a legit afl ruck prospect.

It looks like Richmond have him listed as a potential multicultural rookie. He would be ideal to sit in that category for a couple of years to see if he can develop as forward/pinch hit ruck.

No Battle in the top 30, interesting.

Ratugolea is just too small to ruck at afl level, full stop. His leap means he can compete at centre bounces, but he's just badly outsized at throwins especially where he's less likely to get a run up.

I like him as a development kpp prospect (especially with a 2.93 sec 20m sprint time!) but I donā€™t think heā€™s a legit afl ruck prospect.

It looks like Richmond have him listed as a potential multicultural rookie. He would be ideal to sit in that category for a couple of years to see if he can develop as forward/pinch hit ruck.

Sad, I thought he showed some potential; but the Tiges will stitch that up.

They can only get him if nobody takes him in the normal or rookie drafts. Heā€™s a long way from being on their list yet.

The multicultural rookie thing is only for blokes who go undrafted. I expect SOMEONE will take Ratugolea before that.

The multicultural rookie thing is only for blokes who go undrafted. I expect SOMEONE will take Ratugolea before that.

I expect a club will take a risk with him in the Rookie draft like we did with Gach. If Tigers want him will need to pick him up in one of the drafts IMO. But if they plan to do that why would they even list him for multicultural pick.

I expect a club will take a risk with him in the Rookie draft like we did with Gach. If Tigers want him will need to pick him up in one of the drafts IMO. But if they plan to do that why would they even list him for multicultural pick.

They also listed Jy Simpkin, who probably goes late 1st/early 2nd round. Thereā€™s no explaining Richmond.

I can't get zaharakis's first vfl game for us out of my head

What happened?

33 touches and 5 goals or something wasnt it

Kicked 7 goals in a practice match.

Some top 5s from Cal. 5 best key defenders Logue, Cox, Maibaum, Ridley, Garthwaite(no Rotham which is interesting) key forwards Marshall, Battle, Kerr, Waterman, Sproule/McCarthy, best kicks Ainsworth, Perryman, Bowes, Scrimshaw, Witherden and for SC/Fantasy McGrath, Brodie, Logue, Taranto, Powell-Pepper.

Always an interesting read... here is Knightmare's October Power Rankings and player write-ups. Has Taranto surging up to 4th.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17750260/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-october

Interesting that the knocks on McClug are contested ball winning and attack on the ball. Those qualities are so important at AFL level that Iā€™d be choosing McGrath ahead of him. A player like Kav was a dominant junior, but in the end his contested game prevented him from mixing it with AFL players. He supposedly an inside/out mid too. Iā€™m not suggesting that McClug wonā€™t make the grade (no doubt he will be a very fine player), but you have to wonder where his ceiling is considering contested ball and attack on the ball are supposed weaknesses. All the best AFL mids are contested ball animals.

Always an interesting read... here is Knightmare's October Power Rankings and player write-ups. Has Taranto surging up to 4th.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17750260/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-october

Interesting that the knocks on McClug are contested ball winning and attack on the ball. Those qualities are so important at AFL level that Iā€™d be choosing McGrath ahead of him. A player like Kav was a dominant junior, but in the end his contested game prevented him from mixing it with AFL players. He supposedly an inside/out mid too. Iā€™m not suggesting that McClug wonā€™t make the grade (no doubt he will be a very fine player), but you have to wonder where his ceiling is considering contested ball and attack on the ball are supposed weaknesses. All the best AFL mids are contested ball animals.

Thatā€™s why I have Taranto ahead of the main 2, itā€™s his attack on the footy when in the midfield and his marking ability just make him such a dangerous player and he is the type of player that these days are dominating such as your Fyfeā€™s, Dangerā€™s and Bontā€™s.

Want Ronke.

Clug averaged 40 to 50 percent contested ball so not that bad

As Iā€™ve said countless times before, McCluggageā€™s contested game is very good. Heā€™s able to get inside congestion, collect the ball with clean hands, then weave his way out of congestion with relatively no contact made with opposition players. It makes his opponents look completely stupid and complain about him slotting another ā€˜easyā€™ goal. Because of this, some will say he doesnā€™t win the hard ball.

But if your expecting him to run at a pack of players at full speed and smash his way through congestion to collect the pill. Then youā€™re going to be disappointed.

I remember in one game in the pocket at the Northern Oval. He strolled into a scrimmage of players fumbling the ball and tackling each other to the ground, he runs straight through a pack of players, picks the ball up cleanly, waltzā€™ out of the pack without getting any contact and slots the goal from the pocket.

I said to my mate, how the hell did he do that? It was like Moses parting the seas as he strolled through.

What is McGrathā€™s contested stats? I keep hearing McCluggage mentioned when they are at 40-50%. Iā€™d love to know if this is a strength or weakness with McGrath.