Tac/u18 Thread

For sure. If they’re a marginal prospect, they might as well be marginal and 200cm.

So who do we have to replace Kelly, McGrath and Baggs down back (and IMO we need to upgrade Gleeson)?

Zorko, Rockliff, Mercuri, Hird, Ablett all moving to the midfield worked out pretty well.

I’d say calling Rockliff, Hird and probably Ablett small forwards is a bit of a stretch.

So Cassity will be better and Darce will get dropped and rot away inthe 2s?

Our young defenders have a lot of talent. Ridley, Redman (now rate him since he moved back), Francis, Morgan (don;t rate but will probably be retained), Mcneice. I personally would like to see Heppel play off half back too because i think he is an ordinary midfielder. Plus we have Hartley, Brown, Hurley, Ambrose, Hooker can move back if needed for the talls.

Draft forwards and mids if they are no good there they can usually move back anyway, this obsession with drafting defenders instead of mids/forwards is what has been our downfall previously.

1 Like

Francis and Morgan don’t rate you either.

1 Like

The brackets only for Morgan

1 Like

I agree we’re clearly set for tall defenders. Which removes Francis, Brown, Hartley, Hurley, Hooker from the equation. Heppell was AA in 2014 on the wing, so odd that you don’t think he can midfield.

So really, you’re saying we’ve got Ridley, Redman, Morgan and McNeice as options down back. One of whom nobody (including yourself) would blink if he was delisted, and one who was so generally unrated he wasn’t drafted in either the ND or rookie draft, so is a Cat B rookie. Someone already has to replace Kelly, and potentially McGrath if he goes into the midfield. In my mind, that is pretty thin on the ground for options.

I agree we don’t have a heap of small depth up forward, but the ones we have look pretty set (Walla, Raz, Green/Begley, Colyer), with a number of medium forwards as backups (Laverde, Langford) and Long in a similar position to Morgan down back as far as a list spot goes.

No, read again.

You should mate.

Looks like your guessing his intent. His words: “Francis, Morgan (don’t rate, but will probably be retained).” Is that one or both?

No. I just know how bully has posted in the past and he doesn’t rate Morgan.

next we shall be drafting small forwards who can move into the midfield…

Is Worpel one of those guys who is initially highly rated, but then drops away and gets picked up at 70 by someone, then plays round 1 first year and never looks back? This time last year everyone was saying that if we could get him in 2017 it would fix our midfield, and now he’s no good??

1 Like

Only saw him once the other day but didn;t see anything special. I actually thought parish had more presence.

You mean kind of like Daniel Rich?

A reminder to be very wary of ratings attached to kids like Worpel who can rack up clearances / stats in the U/18’s because they’re physically more mature than almost everyone else.
Half their raw numbers disappear when opposition tackles actually stick, or they’re nudged out of position at stoppages.
Unless they can bring something else to the game you’re looking at Anthony Banik Mk II.

I agree to an extent, but I think this argument has been used in reference to Parker, Cripps, SPP, Brodie, and others. In fact, I think this exact argument was used in reference to Mathieson and now some lament that he’s not at EFC.

All things being equal I would take an experienced ball winner in our midfield even if they have this question over them.

Cripps and SPP had clear other attributes - at least 2 of kicking, handball skills, pace, vision etc

Parker went at pick 40 - and was noted as an excellent overhead mark and goal kicker as well as a mid.

Brodie actually reinforces my point - be very wary - I’ve yet to see him show anything other than a solid mid in a bottom half side

Mathieson wasn’t an overdeveloped brick s’house - just a ferociously annoying little twat

None of our regular TAC posters have identified anything else special about Worpel - even on his highlight tapes he stuffs it up half the time after getting the ball / breaking the tackle which is a concern.

I suppose I’m saying trust your eyes, not the stats, and remember that kids footy doesn’t always translate.

3 Likes