Tac/u18 Thread

All of those kids i listed i believe have very good endurance but speed is where they struggle, Andrews has good agility but not absolute speed, McDonnell tests well for speed but i dont think he looks quick when he plays.

Bytel is a tough one with his lack of speed and inconsistent kicking, i think we have enough of his type in Mutch and Clarke so id be looking at a mid with more explosiveness such as O’Halloran, Rowbottom or even Tom Berry.

You couldn’t complain with players like Bytel and Valente since they are natural midfielders with good smarts around stoppages but the modern game is going past those one paced midfielders.

I honestly don’t understand how he can say a contested ball winner is what we need because we need more depth in that area. We’ve got more depth there than anywhere else. At full strength someone like Myers, Parish or Langford could miss out next season. After that we still have Mutch, Clarke, Mynott and even Begley to hopefully eventually move into that sort of role.

Anyone saying we need more contested ball winners is either forgetting these 4 guys or they’ve already written them off. I’m not confident about Mutch or Clarke but I wouldn’t be writing any of these guys off yet.

We have other more pressing needs.

1 Like

Wasn’t that the knock on worpel last year?

Worpel was more of a contested type where as Bytel is more crafty around the stoppages. I’d say Bytel is a bit classier around the stoppage where as Worpel is get the ball first and think later type.

1 Like

I agree unless there is a standout inside option at 34 (unlikely) I’d be looking for something else, namely outside/forward class or if we are lucky Williams (also unlikely)

2 Likes

Hawthorn academy.

Ohallaran isn’t realistic at 34 is he TD1?

Long gone surely?

I would think so but that’s more personal opinion rather than what I know

1 Like

With his athleticism - backed by testing - and his leadership it’s hard to see recruiters letting him slip past 30.

That’s nonsensical.

How so?

Reckon there’s going to be a heap of guys good enough to push Zerrett or Smith out of midfield at pick 34?

That’s not at all what I meant

Why else would we take one of our best 3-4 on-ballers out of there?
The smarter idea, by far, would be to pick a small forward to play small forward.

2 Likes

In 5 years we will have 2x Daveys and a Rioli playing up forward, surely both won’t be CHFs

I was more arguing that it isn’t a position we are desperate for, if so we would have kept one of Green or Jerrett and kept Baguley on the main list.

My bad, I didn’t realise you hadn’t watched any EFC games for the last 2 years.

See, between the 3 of them and Colyer, they accounted for one forward pocket for the full season. And ran the same structure last year. So, yes, we need a forward pocket.
Given 3 of the 4 guys cut so far essentially played in one spot in 2018, it’s a pretty simple call.

I have a feeling that Dodoro will go for players with major upside. It feels like it will be one of those years when he tries for x-factor.

1 Like

Be sure to catch yours truly on this podcast tonight, always a bit nervous being on a podcast

5 Likes

A few players unlucky otherwise a good list, good to see my early call on Daniel Mott wasn’t a stretch